Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of switching over from Win7. Issue Is have is so much stuff it would literally take weeks to find docs, saves, music etc etc to backup before installing.

Yes i know it is always best to do a clean install...However, does anyone know of any issues upgrading Win7 to 10 without a clean install.
It does say I will not lose any files of settings etc but I remain sceptical tbh

Any suggestions? I nearly did it tonight but backed out at last minute before install started

tia

Reaction score
Even if it is supposed to not lose settings or files, I would back up anyway.
Use a backup utility like the free IOMEI Backerupper to create a disk image on an external drive and you can mount the the image as a drive to open individual files if necessary:

Don't you have backups of your data now?

Reaction score
I have backed up the likes of my bookmarks and docs from usual folders but

i have 6 games installed as well. I will try game save manager to dig out those from where ever they are

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Starting with a clean slate is always a good idea, you don't want to carry crap over without knowing. :lol:

Backup everything you cannot afford to lose, that in my opinion, is more important than anything else. As @Peru Bob suggested the program AOMEI Backupper is good.

Good Luck with everything.

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of switching over from Win7. Issue Is have is so much stuff it would literally take weeks to find docs, saves, music etc etc to backup before installing.

Yes i know it is always best to do a clean install...However, does anyone know of any issues upgrading Win7 to 10 without a clean install.
It does say I will not lose any files of settings etc but I remain sceptical tbh

Any suggestions? I nearly did it tonight but backed out at last minute before install started

tia
One of the inherent problems with Windows is it does not encourage "proper" filing of your stuff - documents, pictures, videos, music, etc.
I keep a DATA folder and file everything under that - Household, subdivided into Gas, electricity, etc. Holiday Pictures, subdivided into each holiday, etc. (You get the idea). Then a simple copy of the data folder (+subfolders) to an external device means all data is backed up and recoverable in the likely event of machine failure and useable on another machine if required. I also store app installation files, instructions, product keys, this way (in their own sub-folder) so that re-installing is easier if necessary. Extra work initially, but saves the disaster of lost files, etc. later.

Reaction score
I had the same issue and was very hesitate to go to windows 10. Now that I have it I realize that it wasn't such a big deal doing the new install. I really like Windows 10 now, very easy to use. I just put all my files onto a back up hard drive, formatted and installed. Afterwards I just took my time and slowly put all my files back on. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Best of luck with it.

Ask a Question