Windows 7 Windows 7 - Should I Dive Straight In?

Reaction score
Hi,

How many people are currently using Windows 7 and what are your thoughts and experiences of it?

The reason for asking is that I'm going to build myself a new PC over the next 2 months, would like to do it in one go but due to finances I'll have to spread the build over 2 pay days :(

Once built I was thinking of jumping straight in with Windows 7 64Bit, so I suppose the question is should I?

Thoughts & Views welocmed.

Regards,

Andrew

Reaction score
izzop said:
Hi,

How many people are currently using Windows 7 and what are your thoughts and experiences of it?

The reason for asking is that I'm going to build myself a new PC over the next 2 months, would like to do it in one go but due to finances I'll have to spread the build over 2 pay days :(

Once built I was thinking of jumping straight in with Windows 7 64Bit, so I suppose the question is should I?

Regards,

Andrew

I am using W7 rc 32bit, and am quite liking it...Its pretty quick imo....Pretty much everything that works for Vista works for W7...When the final release comes out I will be purchasing it. The only thing I am having trouble with is dual booting..Otherwise it is good..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Depends what you use the pc for. If you are a home user and finances are tight why on earth pay for an os when you can use a free one. Have a look at me latest Mandriva 64 Bit walkthrough for a linux alternative to M$.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Hi & Thanks to you both for your replies,

Depends what you use the pc for. If you are a home user and finances are tight why on earth pay for an os when you can use a free one. Have a look at me latest Mandriva 64 Bit walkthrough for a linux alternative to M$.

It will be used for both work and play, work being an Oracle/MS SQL based .NET application at times requiring development in MS Visual Studio and report writing etc. Play would be games e.g. CoD 4 On-Line plus surfing etc.

I thought I would make use of Windows 7 RC.

Regards,

Andrew

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
izzop said:
Play would be games e.g. CoD 4 On-Line plus surfing etc.
Im not sure if this is still the case, but beware, that Evenbalance (punkbuster) dont support 'beta or pre release OS's'

So no Cod4 online if that is still the case. :)

Reaction score
Hi,

It appears that the majority of people using Windows 7 are running it either as a VPC or Dual Boot.

Windows 7 Release Candidate: Download instructions
Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don't test the RC on your primary home or business PC.

Mmmmm... I hope to have my new PC built by the end of July, I'll download the 64bit RC and burn it to a disk probably next week at the office. However, in view of Microsoft advising not to test it on your primary PC I'm not sure what Microsoft OS to install onto the new PC?

Should I bite the bullet and have Windows 7 as my primary OS, or should I just wait for the offical release and install Vista instead?

Regards,

A rather confused Andrew :confused:

Reaction score
V_R said:
Im not sure if this is still the case, but beware, that Evenbalance (punkbuster) dont support 'beta or pre release OS's'

So no Cod4 online if that is still the case. :)

In that case it'll have to be either XP Pro 64bit or Vista Business 64bit, any thoughts or views as to which?

Regards,

Andrew

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
izzop said:
Hi,

none, it ain't been released yet. It's due in October. ;)

Depends, if all the components are "true" 64bit capable, then yes, I would.

Regards,

Andrew
Windows 7 ? not as far as I'm concerned ... I'll call it by its correct name, Vista Second Edition, if you look closely you will see the RC # is 6.1 (build 7100 or whatever build you have)

It is, what Vista should have been, and MS know it.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You're in a tricky situation as Win 7 isn't released for 4 months - and that's by no means certain - yet you want an OS now.

Your best bet is to see whether you can find a version of Vista with a free upgrade to 7 when it's released, but that's unlikely if you're only buying an OEM version.

If it were me, I'd wait til October but if you want it now :confused:

Seems pointless paying a hundred quid for a flawed version of 7 (Vista) now but it also doesn't make much sense to buy a nine year old OS (XP).

If you must have something now buy XP then at least you'll have a spare OS for another machine that will play a host of older games (or load a dual boot).

As for Linux - it's no good for computer games, simple, full stop, end of story.

And for those who whine 'Wine' ( << there's a joke there, geddit, geddit? :D - oh, please yourselves ) the emulator is not the same at all as using Windows.

Sad but true.

Reaction score
Hi,

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place!

I plan to get the new PC up and running before October, end of July is all goes well.

Earlier this afternoon I was all for going down the Vista Business x64bit route, but like you say it seems pointless paying for that if in October I can got to Windows 7. Then again with all the problems first releases have, may be getting Windows 7 straight away might not be such a good idea?

At the moment I think I'll stick with Vista Business.

Regards,

Andrew

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows 7 will not suffer from "problem first release" as it's already on its second incarnation. ;)

until Microsoft can convince me other, W7 is in fact, Vista second edition ... hell, they even admit it has the same kernel.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Windows 7 will not suffer from "problem first release" as it's already on its second incarnation. ;)

until Microsoft can convince me other, W7 is in fact, Vista second edition ... hell, they even admit it has the same kernel.

If M$ don't get it right they is dead ducks and they know it so they are pulling out all the stops to try and make sure it is spot on.
Ian our chief here like it.

nod.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And for those who whine 'Wine' ( << there's a joke there, geddit, geddit? :D - oh, please yourselves )

Sad but true.

I get it... you make me sick. :D

Reaction score
Alf said:
I get it... you make me sick. :D

floppybootstomp said:
And for those who whine 'Wine' ( << there's a joke there, geddit, geddit?
biggrin.gif
- oh, please yourselves )

Think the joke was pointed in the direction of Linux users or a certain Linux user ...................
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Think the joke was pointed in the direction of Linux users or a certain Linux user ...................
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Well to be honest no actually it wasn't :eek:

Surprise surprise :D

Just goes to show how hidden meanings can be written into things.

Nope, what I said was true, Linux can be great but no way is it a gaming platform.

And that's not the fault of the open source people, that's the fault of game developers who are only driven by £££££££££'s and $$$$$$$$$'s and can't see further than up their own bum.

Just thought I'd clear that up :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And that's not the fault of the open source people, that's the fault of game developers who are only driven by £££££££££'s and $$$$$$$$$'s and can't see further than up their own bum.
Nothing wrong with wanting to make €€€€€€€€€ (OK, make that €€€€€€ :p ).

The question is: is there a market for games in Linux? I'm not a gamer, you are... so check these out and tell us what you think:

1. World Of Goo
http://worldofgoo.com/

- Demo - a .deb package... double click to install in Mint: http://worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=demo&filename=WorldOfGooDemo.1.41.deb

http://2dboy.com/2009/02/12/world-of-goo-linux-version-is-ready/
The Linux version of World of Goo is finally ready for download! It’s available exclusively from our site, in three different packages depending on what your computer likes. (tar.gz, deb, rpm) If you already got the game from our site, you can use your same download link to get the linux version in addition to your Windows and Mac versions. A huge thanks to Maks Verver for getting this running on linux, and the beta testers for making sure it runs smoothly! The full game and demo versions all available here.

Update: Yes, still DRM free! And works on 64 bit systems too.

Also, thanks to Ken Starks for helping to get the word out- he’s giving away 10 complimentary copies of the game to the first people he finds that have blogged about World of Goo on Linux. He also runs an interesting non-profit to build computers for kids who can’t afford them.

Update 2: We’ve been getting a lot of emails from people who purchased the game on Steam and other places who want access to the Linux version. At first we were simply sending people download links, but the volume of requests has increased significantly and we simply can’t keep up, so for now, we’re sorry, but the Linux version will only be available for free to those who purchased the game via our website.

Update 3: Happy Valentines Day! Exactly one year since we put out our first preview, special thanks to those of you who have been with us from the beginning!

Update 4: It’s only been 2 days since the release of the Linux version and it already accounts for 4.6% of the full downloads from our website. Our thanks to everyone who’s playing the game on Linux and spreading the word. Here are a couple of nifty stats:
  • About 12% of Linux downloads are of the .rpm package, 30% are of the .tar.gz package, and 57% are of the .deb package.
  • More copies of the game were sold via our website on the day the Linux version released than any other day. This day beat the previous record by 40%. There is a market for Linux games after all :)
2. Penumbra
http://www.penumbragame.com/index.php

- Demo - download it (to /home/flops/games, for example), then run it with
Code:
cd /home/flops/games
  sh ./PenumbraOvertureDemo-2553.sh
http://www.penumbragame.com/demo.php

These are just two games I happened to stumble upon... good games or not, I dunno. But my point is, those complaining that there are no games for Linux should show that there is a market for these things by downloading and trying out the demos... and if they are any good, buying the full versions.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question