Windows 7 Windows 7 reinstall

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Recently replaced failed HDD in my brother-in-law's Samsung laptop, supplied about 18months ago by PC World. Had no OS disk and he cannot remember receiving any recovery disks.
Used one of my Windows 7 disks to do a clean install on a new HDD and used his product key to activate the installation. After about a month a message came up - 'this is an illegal copy of Windows 7' and a build number. I accept this is different to his original .
Have Googled this and still do not understand the legal position.
He has paid for a license for Windows 7 which due to a HDD failure he cannot access and I have installed a copy of Windows 7 on his motherboard and used his product key to activate it.
Do Microsoft want him to pay for the same thing twice?
Thanks in advance
peahouse05:confused:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
It comes down to the type of installation that was done on the machine. When Samsung built the image, they applied a group COA to the installation that allows them to setup the OS and sysprep it for cloning to multiple drives. Chances are, you installed an OEM version of the OS that requires a slightly different COA. There are other circumstances that you would run into under this situation, but this is the most probable.

As for a resolution, there may not be one under the current setup without purchasing a single COA from Microsoft. I would make contact with Samsung first. You will need to get the model specific image of the OS installation in order to reconfigure the HD to the original setup. If you installed a larger drive, be prepared to either purchase a replacement of the same size as the original, or make another partition out of what is left over from the image creation.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've installed various versions of Windows on laptops without OS disks many times and have found that the Windows version has to be the same as the one the licence number was issued to.

About four months ago installed Win Vista Home Premium to both twin daughter's Toshiba laptops as that's what they came loaded with. I used my disk and their activation code numbers. Both had to be activated by phone, incidentally, but there have been no problems since.

It is possible to telephone Microsoft and discuss the problem, it's even freephone as I recall but I don't have the number handy. Good luck.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
found that the Windows version has to be the same as the one the licence number was issued to

Thank you FBS. I also forgot about that part. Along with the OS type, it is the version. Windows 7 Home Premium will not work with an Ultimate installation. Even though all options are available, it is the COA that unlocks the features.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Siverhazesurfer
The Windows 7 disk I used is an OEM but |I have done this a number of times with Windows XP with no problems. Both versions have been paid for with XP and Windows 7 and I see the problem as the OS disk not being supplied with the machines.
I am assuming that despite the warning on brother-in-law's laptop that this installation is an illegal copy of Windows 7 nothing untoward will happen as the laptop still appears to work perfectly.
Cheers
peahouse05

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
nothing untoward will happen as the laptop still appears to work perfectly

Not for long. Check system properties. Start>Control Panel>system

At the bottom, there is an activation notice of the same nature. I believe it is 30 days. Then it goes into random shut down mode. I have seen some builds of 7 have only an hour of operation before the machine just reboots on its own.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies
My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium OEM and my brother-in-law's OS is also Windows 7 Home Premium. I appreciate that the original installation may be a CAO as advised but we have both paid for a Windows 7 Home Premium installation.
Cannot see how he loses his installation due to a HDD failure. The clean install was activated but a build number also appears alongside the illegal version of Windows 7 warning.
Will check the sticker on the bottom of his laptop tomorrow and report back.
Cheers peahouse05:(

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies
My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium OEM and my brother-in-law's OS is also Windows 7 Home Premium. I appreciate that the original installation may be a CAO as advised but we have both paid for a Windows 7 Home Premium installation.
Cannot see how he loses his installation due to a HDD failure. The clean install was activated but a build number also appears alongside the illegal version of Windows 7 warning.
Will check the sticker on the bottom of his laptop tomorrow and report back.
Cheers peahouse05:(

Peahouse, pick up the dog and bone and give MS a call, tell them you lost your disk, and your machine died and you had to use the OEM, they will take control remotely and activate it for you. Theyhave done for me a few times in the past.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I was going to type a big long thing, but I think Evan has the best idea. I am sure that they can tell when they log in if the software is legitimate.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help
All OK now - changed product key in Computer - propreties and activated by phone.
Cheers
peahouse05

Ask a Question