Windows 7 Windows 7 on my "old" VAIO VGN-A 517m

Reaction score
2 days ago, i tried to install Windows 7 enterprise (90 days trial) on my "old" Sony VAIO VGN-A 517m - which ends in a desaster.....
Sony dont support my notebook for Windows 7. In google, i saw lots of users ho tried to use vista - drivers on older sony notebooks.
So i tried that too....

First a followed lots of advices, to disable networkboot in bios and disable / release every extended hardware, as pc - card etc.
Than i had to wait a long time before install is running through...

First message i got - after succeeded install - "Your battery is defect / isn't conform" - etc. bla laber sülz....
The only option i had: To click OK to run hyberfile....
Went back - the same again....
So: what did i do? :) - I thought, i was "clever" :) - and surched in taskmanager for the process.... - and killed him, to get "peace".

What Sony dont tell me: That at least one of the integrated hardware (Intel - Wireless)
does NOT support Windows 7 ! - I found that out by accident - while surching for other stuff on intel's side !
Ok - because of no support for Windows 7 - Sony don't need to tell me about that!
If i new that before - i never tried to run Windows 7 ! (Sony - **** - support)

But after i tried to uninstall Windows 7 (first, i created a partition for it) - i got lots of "surprises" !

1.) After restart, i recognised that the "Windows - Start Manager" was still there !
Windows 7 installed it while installation !
Everything failed - nothing changed - In google, i reed lots of "advice" ! nada !

2.) The real big surprise, i got in the moment, i unplugged the AC - Adapter !
'cause i needed to run on battery for a few minutes....
PENG - crash ! 5 - 10 seconds, after i changed to battery..... crash !

I surched in google about it and found lots of therms!

On of them, is a "statement" form microsoft !
They say (of course), that Windows 7 is NOT responible for it ! - Ja ja !

- of course not ! - because, they can't tell us !

They try to tell me, that there software cant' change hardware ? No ?
- at least it CAN change the CONTROL of hardware !
It has to do so - under normal surcomstances !

Facts are:

1.) after install Windows 7, the firts whats coming up, the warning about my battery !
2.) after uninstall Windows 7, my batterycontrol tell me about loading - 100% ! - but
crashed immidiatley after using it ! - no shutdown - no warning - just crash !

3.) about "crash" !
I remember - arround two years ago - having big problems with "atapy.sys" !!!!!!!!
After Bluescreen of death, i wasn't able to restart my notebook !
Month later, i reeded a statement from microsoft about that ! They told us, that it is possible, that a "update" maybe is responible for that ! - but only, when a virus or something like that, changed the system ! - ha ha !

The point is: atapy.sys is responible for running/control HDD and ODD ! ! ! !

- and there is absolut no comparability with my battery - problem ????? !!! -

My notebook whas in repair. After that, i tried to run my "defect / demaged" HDD ! ! !
- lots of trouble and critical work - but it wasn't "physical dead" !

Anyway: Maybe, hardware is not "demaged" in a physical way ! - but at least the software control is ! - and that isn't just a "triviality" !

Conclusion: All "statements" from microsoft maybe just are:

self-serving declaration / lie to cover oneself / attempt to justify one's behaviour

My "most profound thanks" to Microsoft and Sony !

greatings from cologne

Last edited:

Ask a Question