Windows 7 modem issues

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
After buying Windows 7, fresh install on my new HD, I thought I would get my modem sorted.....wrong.
Windows 7 and my Speedtouch 330 don't get on.:mad:

Can anyone recommend a modem that does work with W7.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
oh, you finally found out USB modems are NOT real modems ... just go get a REAL modem. :nod:

:wave:

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
oh, you finally found out USB modems are NOT real modems ... just go get a REAL modem. :nod:

That does not really help, but thanks!:D

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Whos your ISP?

Anything Netgear or a non USB Speedtouch is my recommendation. :)

Reaction score
V_R said:
Whos your ISP?

Anything Netgear or a non USB Speedtouch is my recommendation. :)

I also recommend Netgear modems and if you want to get a router if you don't already have one and you can go wireless.

Last edited:

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Thanks for replies folks.

I've just been given a Belkin wireless modem router,and as I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I've stuck it on, but.........

I'm now getting an Error 651 message and I'm getting very annoyed with my PC, windows 7, new HD and Modem/Router...........Very annoyed!!!

After reading Error 651, I'm wondering just what to do, I guess I'll speak to my ISP in the morning.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... you should always look in the mouth of a horse, gift or not. :D

so, who is this ISP you speak of ... you do have an ISP, don't you?

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Whats an ISP?:confused:

.....only joking, F2S.

Update.......After a LONG weekend tring and failing to get up and running, I called F2S, no problem at there end, they were getting no communication from me at all, call Belkin.
The Belkin router modem was not showing ADSL light and the customer service line has just told me to take my gift horse back to the shop!
Mate does have reciept, lets see if Maplin accecpt the 6 month old router...they should, as it is the first time it's been out of the box....but will they beleive me...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Tried resetting it? (pushing a pin in the hole in the back)

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Update......

No problem at Maplin, new Router supplied...same problem....35 mins on phone to India......still no joy.
"It must be your Phone line ,Sir"
"No, the phone line works with my Speedtouch on my laptop, so the phone line is working"(Which is how Im getting this to you lot)
"There is no problem with the router, Sir, can you take your Modem next door and try it at your neighbors"
"er, no!"

Back to a very frustrating square one.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Update........just spoke to a friend who works for BT, phone line is fine, is it your LAN port?

So I checked, and I have two lights, one green one amber, but I don't know if that's good or bad, and nothing in the MB manual is giving me the info I need. So I'll try it in my Laptop, same green and amber light, and still no ADSL light on the front of modem/router.
Does that mean both Desk and Laptop LAN ports are broken, or both Ok, and the problem is else where??????

So again, I'm none the wiser!
And MORE and MORE annoyed.......5 days now trying to get online!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You don't say whether the amber light is flashing... but if it is, perhaps you need a firmware download to resolve it:

A problem where storage devices without a Master Boot Record (MBR) would not work with the router and the Storage LED would be flashing amber has been resolved
http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2474

Also, according to the Belkin website, flashing amber means that a connection has not been made. (Usually means the same thing on my Netgear too, fwiw.)

Last edited:

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
You don't say whether the amber light is flashing... but if it is, perhaps you need a firmware download to resolve it:

http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2474

Also, according to the Belkin website, flashing amber means that a connection has not been made. (Usually means the same thing on my Netgear too, fwiw.)
Amber light is flashing.
Firmware updated.
Error 651 still there with no ADSL light on router.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
BigJay said:
which of the 15 fixes did you mean?
This one...The one you linked to....
The RAS PPPoE driver file “raspppoe.sys” found under c:windowssystem32drivers folder seems to be the root cause of the problem. Fortunately, we can workaround the problem simply by renaming the original raspppoe.sys file to something like “raspppoe_orig.sys” copying a working file from a Windows Vista system. If you do not have access to a Windows Vista system. click here to download raspppoe.sys file (unzip).
This should help!
Have you made sure you have the connection settings correct? Hard Reset the router?

Personally i dont like Belkin routers, IMO they are ****. It sounds like the router isn't working correctly, thus i'd guess your settings are incorrect somewhere as you've tried two different ones...?

I see F2S recommend the ST 585v7. A fine router. Is what Be gave me. Then i swapped it out for a Netgear DG834GT. :D

Would be worth you getting a diff router and trying that. Heres a SP 585v6 for a tenner... (for Example)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THOMSON-ST585...K_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item2c545f8415

I used to have one of them. Dont let the price fool you. Its one of the best ADSL router you can get. Very stable. I have one for over 2 years, before joining Be.

Taffycat said:
*snip*
Sorry TC but He's on about the lights on the LAN port on the back of the board not the router. Good thinking though. :)

What model # is this Belkin?

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
My replies in red!
V_R said:
This one...The one you linked to....

Yup and I got another Error 797 message.

Have you made sure you have the connection settings correct? Hard Reset the router?

Many,many many times!, with my isp and with Belkin

Personally i dont like Belkin routers, IMO they are ****. It sounds like the router isn't working correctly, thus i'd guess your settings are incorrect somewhere as you've tried two different ones...?

My thoughts as well.

I see F2S recommend the ST 585v7. A fine router. Is what Be gave me. Then i swapped it out for a Netgear DG834GT. :D

I'll get the Netgear, as I have credit in Maplin.

Would be worth you getting a diff router and trying that.

Yup, see above. Also considered taking modem to brothers house to try out...

What model # is this Belkin?

G Wireless Modem Router F5D7634-4A-H v2

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Update.....

8.59. Arrive at Maplins
9.04. Leave Maplins with new Netgear DG834
9.10. Fit and test.
9.19 Same problem, no ADSL.
9.20 Called Netgear customer service
10.03. finish call,"the problem is your adsl line,sir"
10.08 Call my ISP, "nothing wrong with line from our end".
10.09 Dead End?
10.12 Call my mate from BT, "it will be your LAN Conector on your motherboard thats faulty".
10.14 Try modem set-up on laptop.
10.25 Same problem, no ADSL!!!!!!
10.26 Cry for 6 minutes.
10.33 Call my mate from BT "I'll call in later..."
15.02 My mate from BT called in. He said "So unless both Lapy and Desktop LAN's are broken, that aint the problem", "Microfilters, no, not them......er don't know mate"
15.10 As a parting shot, my mate from BT said "Just try it straight in the main socket, you never know...."
15.28 Netgear firing on all cylinders....modem/adsl problem solved, but not on my desktop, which is the main problem. Waiting on my mate from BT, to give me some advice.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So it was a dodgy socket or extension?

I assumed as your mate works for BT you had tried the test socket etc already.

Keep us posted. :)

Ask a Question