Is it ok to leave modem/router on 24/7 ?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a belkin modem/router and am having problems with windows 7 connecting to the internet after the computer and modem/router have been switched off overnight.I end up having to restart the computer and modem/router several times before it will connect.
By trial and error I have found that if i leave the modem/router switched on permanently and just turn off the computer at night that in the morning i switch on computer and it will immediately connect to internet.
Are modems/routers intended to be left on permanently?
Are there any problems likely doing this?
I,m guessing they take only a small amount of electricity.
Thanks for any advice.
Andy.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No dont bother turning the router off, infact you should leave them on as BT BRAS profiling system may think that its an unstable line and automatically raise the SNR which lowers your connection speed. ;)

If this happens it can take up to 3 days for the system to drop back to the default (6db) that if it has only raised one level to 9.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My router is on 24/7 too, for the very reason that V_R mentions :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just to add if your on a LLU ISP then you dont have a BRAS profile (Its a BT thing, so only applies if your on ADSL Max or 21CN) and therefore dont have to worry about that, however its still possible your ISP may up your SNR to compensate for what may look like a flakey connection.

Reaction score
Many thanks guys,I really appreciate the advice found on this forum.
From now on I will be leaving the modem/router connected permanently.
Andy.

Ask a Question