Windows 7 Beta Available Tomorrow

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The next generation operating system from Microsoft is going to be released as a Beta from 9th January 2009. Windows 7 has very positive reviews from pre-beta builts, and is supposededly faster that Windows Vista (including much improved boot times).

To register for the Beta, visit the Windows 7 webpage from 9th Jan to get your serial number and ISO download:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

"On January 9th, the Windows 7 Beta will be available for Windows enthusiasts to download via the Windows 7 page on Windows.com. The Windows 7 Beta is going to be available download-only (we’re not sending out physical media) and available for a limited time to the first 2.5 million people who download the beta.

The Windows 7 Beta will be available in English, German, Japanese, Arabic, and Hindi, and each language will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions (except Hindi which will only be available in 32-bit). Because the Windows 7 Beta will be offered download-only, it will be provided to you as an ISO image (an .iso file) that you download. After downloading either the 32-bit or 64-bit ISO image of the Windows 7 Beta, you will be required to burn the ISO image to a DVD to install Windows 7. So you want to be sure you have a DVD burner before spending the time downloading the ISO image "

Source : Information on Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Beta

Resources :
Windows Team Blog
Windows 7 Homepage
Windows 7 Forums
Wikipedia Entry

Attachments

• Windows7.jpg
    Windows7.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,255

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't forget that you can use Virtual PC to run this within XP/Vista (or even Linux with VirtualBox, IIRC). :)

Reaction score
Whoo!,

I installed it this morning on Virtual PC, I dont get the fancy effects though, with it being a virtual environment :( Lucky for me my Bro is a TechNet member so we got it yesterday when it was released. :)

Reaction score
Still trying to get to grips with Vista in VMWare before trying another O/S.:blush:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Very slow access to the site - must be alot of folks trying!

Download is due to go up during this afternoon US time - so sometime after 8pm here I guess if its coming from Redmond.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Love it , i registered windows7fordummies.co.uk as i like to be a bit rebellious at times...hehehe

Hope its better than vista and more like XP...personally i dont like Vista at all, have it on the lappy and XP on the desktop and theres only 1 winner

Last edited:
Reaction score
my colleague at work was playing around with this today. It looked like vista but some extra options.
From what I saw it looked like a cross between windows vista and windows server 2008.

I can't wait to try it when I get a chance
Will use Virtual box to install it

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Downloading it now at 1.44MB/s :D

hopefully have it up and running in the morning. Anyone got it running yet? first impressions?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Here's the direct ISO links, but we'll still need to wait for the keys to be released:

Download: Windows 7 x86 (32bit) and x64 (64 bit)
I think the download from these links have gone a bit haywire - they're both only 719 bytes big :(

If anyones got the download of both and can share them with me I'd be most grateful :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
If anyones got the download of both and can share them with me I'd be most grateful :nod:

Me too, me too :D

I haven't tried to download yet but I probably will. Getting a little tired atm though and may just hit the sack.

I do actually have a little work to do in the morning - yippee! :thumb: :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal—we're in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We're sorry for the delay and we'll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.
Been like this since midnight :(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Been like this since midnight :(

They seem to be on/off for me, I'm at 44% but can't resume any further at the moment.

Ask a Question