Windows 10 Windows 10 Upgrade Notice

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
there is old, and then there is OLD ... the old HP laptop I have has no problems with heat or anything hardware related & Win 10.

Was it an Intel CPU of the kind that just runs slow if it gets really hot under the collar, or the OLD kind of Intel CPU that dies if taken to Africa? :)

I know not of AMD these days.

Reaction score
I have abandoned Win10 on my laptop. It ran very erratically and I never could resolve the graphics card problem. In the end I couldn't see any great advantage in upgrading from Win8.1. I have not given up entirely and am experimenting with my spare desktop PC by installing Win7 on it as I have a spare copy of that OS. So far though things have not gone well and that is just with the Win7 OS. I've downloaded a copy of Win 7 SP1 from the MS site to see if that will improve matters. I'm not confident though :(

I'm leaving my main PC as Win 8.1. I can do without problems on that. For the plain computing I do I can't really see the advantages in upgrading at the moment.

Reaction score
Phew !!! Finally got Win10 installed on my spare PC. After messing about with sp1 versions of Win7 I finally went back to my original install disks and installed Win 7. Found out that my processor won't support 64-bit Win10 so it had to be the 32-bit version of Win7. I then ran the Media Creation Tool and opted to install Win10 from there, no messing about with DVDs this time. After a stressful and very long install time Win10 installed and all seems to be working. There will be an awful amount of tidying up to remove all that stuff that was installed along with the OS. Anyway, I'll see how I get on with the new OS.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Was it an Intel CPU

Celeron D T1600 dual core. 4 gigs RAM. Runs perfectly fine on W7 Home Premium. Tried installing W10 again yesterday and once I had installed WCG and Office 2010 once again the fan went mad and started overheating.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Celeron D T1600 dual core. 4 gigs RAM. Runs perfectly fine on W7 Home Premium. Tried installing W10 again yesterday and once I had installed WCG and Office 2010 once again the fan went mad and started overheating.

well, that's not a thematically designed CPU and, no disrespect but it's older than FBS.

I used to use WCG to test out CPUs, better than ANY bench mark testing program, to check how hot a CPU could get. So, does Win 10 go nuts with the heat/fan if you do NOT use WCG?

oh, and what is the MB?

I think you should, IMHO, just keep Win 7 ... it works! :nod:

... and by the time Win 7 runs out, you should have gotten a new system anyway. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I am 64 years old, was born in the year of the Festival Of Britain six years after the end of WW2.

I was not eligible for conscription and have never served in any of her Majesty's armed forces.

Even after I became a father for the first time the word 'Celeron', even if it existed, had not been used in association with any computer components.

I may be old but I did get to see all the best bands, as they say ;)

Ask a Question