Windows 11 is here...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
@Ian It was released in 1995 (rightly said by Mucks) on 13 floppies of 1.44 MB :lol: :lol: :lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
At the bottom of this link there is an app to check if your PC is compatible with W11. I ran the app and it said my PC isn't compatible dispite it meeting all the requirements. :p

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
At the bottom of this link there is an app to check if your PC is compatible with W11. I ran the app and it said my PC isn't compatible dispite it meeting all the requirements. :p

Same issue with my desktop after using the app to check. this could be the reason due to various factors, namely:

Secure boot is enabled or disabled
Browser configuration as default
Microsoft account
Backup configuration
Trusted platform module
Etc etc etc

I guess we need to fiddle with it and make it fully compatible before checking it again with the app.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
1624560953864.png

Wat.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like TPM 2.0 is required and there is a CPU compatibility list too:

I can't see your 4770K on it @V_R :eek: .

There are a lot of very capable CPUs missing from that list. I can't see these hardware restrictions sticking around long term. Surely!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
As it is, prices are skyrocketing for some of the components and with the release of Windows 11, many will buy new computers or if they cannot afford it, will switch to Linux if they are computer savvy. The other option is not to upgrade and continue to use Windows 10 as suggested by Microsoft with the updates for few years to come. Whichever boat you are in, it is not the end of the world. :)

Reaction score
Its BS. I'm on Win10 too. It tells me i'm not compatible..
Its a brand new system. MS are talking rubbish. Why not simply inform people Bitlocker has to be on instead of feeding them crap?

How to check if TPM is present on your Windows 10 PC
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on System.
  3. Click on About.
  4. Under the "Related settings" section, click the BitLocker settings option. ...
  5. Under the "Status" section, confirm "The TPM is ready for use" to confirm the device has a trusted platform module, and it's enabled.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Looks like TPM 2.0 is required and there is a CPU compatibility list too:

I can't see your 4770K on it @V_R :eek: .

There are a lot of very capable CPUs missing from that list. I can't see these hardware restrictions sticking around long term. Surely!

Well I guess I won't be upgrading then. i5 4460

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That's bull**** if true. So some low end i3 is acceptable, but an i7 isn't? Lol.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah I'm really puzzled by this. Surely they can't stick with that - otherwise a lot of people will not be able to upgrade.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have a feeling once we get close to launch of W11 most of these requirements will be dropped.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like it'll run without TPM at all, with a little reg tweak - so I think there may be ways around if worst comes to worst.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Microsoft have removed the compatibility tool from the link I posted on Thursday and have replaced it with this. I wonder why ?

ms.png

Ask a Question