How to fix Steam game icons appearing as .url files

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just re-installed Steam on my new PC, but I had an unusual bug where all of the desktop game icons appeared as blank with a .url extension that was unassociated with anything.

I thought it may be helpful to document the fix in case anyone else has the same problem.

• In Windows 10, search for "Default Apps" on the start menu (just type it in and them click on the link)
  • Scroll down the settings panel and click on "Choose default applications by file type"
  • Find the .url extension and change the default app to "Internet Browser".
Once done, the Steam icons should get their matching icon back and function as expected.

Reaction score
I've just re-installed Steam on my new PC, but I had an unusual bug where all of the desktop game icons appeared as blank with a .url extension that was unassociated with anything.

I thought it may be helpful to document the fix in case anyone else has the same problem.

• In Windows 10, search for "Default Apps" on the start menu (just type it in and them click on the link)
  • Scroll down the settings panel and click on "Choose default applications by file type"
  • Find the .url extension and change the default app to "Internet Browser".
Once done, the Steam icons should get their matching icon back and function as expected.
What do I do when "Internet Browser" does not seem to exist in my windows 10 system?

Ask a Question