Windows 10 Windows 10 Upgrade Notice

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you shouldn't need an activation code, as long as you did an upgrade ... you'll get 3 days to activate, should be automatic, may take a day as MS seem to be a bit busy, it did with me ... then the world will end in 30 days. :)

To 'find' anything ... hit the Win-Key with a 3lb lump hammer and start typing what you're looking for ... or, use a finger to press the Win-Key and start typing. Usually, the sight of the hammer is enough to get Win 10 to comply, have your digi-cam turned on first, helps.

The new definition of Win 10 is ... "The Borg" ... you will be assimilated! :nod:

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My install is completely independent of my pucka Win 7 install though so I'll probably be up against the wall in 3 days.

Which probably isn't enough time to evaluate. Still, could always do another install and get another 3 days. Unless MS have noted my IP address, which wouldn't surprise me.

Anybody figured out how to turn off auto-update yet? That's the main reason I'm leaning towards staying with Win 7 so far.

And I wonder, does Classic Shell work with Win 10, anybody know?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Start > Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update > Advanced.

You can't turn off auto updates as such, yet.

Classic Shell works in 10.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
One of the more controversial features of Windows 10 is the automatic, mandatory installation of updates. With launch day now just hours away a problem with NVidia drivers has highlighted just why automatic updates have proved so controversial.

Microsoft has previously said that home users will have no choice but to let Windows 10 take care of updates for them. For those concerned about this, the company has a special tool that can be used to block specific updates to Windows and drivers.

Unearthed by ZDNet's Ed Bott, KB3073930 is the tool that many people feel should have been built into Windows 10 as standard. It's not really a tool that Microsoft intended to be used by the majority of people to take control of Windows Updates, it is actually a troubleshooting tool designed for use with the preview builds that have been made available to Windows Insiders. It's not clear whether the tool will continue to work when Windows 10 officially launches in a couple of days' time, but it's certainly an option for now.

http://betanews.com/2015/07/27/how-to-stop-windows-10-installing-automatic-updates/

The above may be of use Flops and the link below may be aswell.

How to install Windows 10 on Oracle VirtualBox -- no Windows key required

The essential collection of Windows 10 guides -- everything you need to fix annoyances.

Best of luck guys. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You can't turn off auto updates as such, yet.

Figured as much, cos I couldn't find a way to do it.

As I suspected then, MS want total control of every Windows user and they see Win 10 just as a sales aid, gotta sell those apps.

Mucks wasn't kidding about being assimilated.

And that, my friends, is reason enough to stay with Win 7 (Games) and Mint 17.2 (Almost everything else).

Not for me as of this moment then but I'll be keeping a keen eye on developments within my (promised) 12 month time window.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I am rocking Windows 10 now and loving it. Both my laptop and desktop are oldish HP's and W10 has breathed new life in to them.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You may remember a while ago how torrents were the most evil things in the world and MS were at the forefront of measures to combat this evil torrenting.
Guess what MS are now in favour of torrents and will try to force you to use this system.
Well done MS, that is the best turn around I have seen for quite some time.

Windows 10's Torrent-U-Like updates slurp your precious bandwidth

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

How is my PC used to send apps and updates to other PCs?
Delivery Optimization downloads the same updates and apps that you get through Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimization creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

If you do not have a metered internet connection you could always lie and use this fix,

Will Delivery Optimization download over metered connections?
As with Windows 8.1, Windows 10 won't automatically download updates or apps if it detects that your PC is using a metered connection. Similarly, Delivery Optimization won’t automatically download or send parts of updates or apps to other PCs on the Internet if it detects that you're using a metered connection.

If you use a Wi‑Fi connection that is metered or capped, make sure you identify it as a metered connection. Here’s how:

1. Go to Start
    851aefc6-d9e7-41b6-a160-2a5e45499b33_17.png
    , then Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Advanced options.
  2. Use the toggle under Set as metered connection to set your Wi‑Fi connection as metered.

God bless MS for their free os and their free torrent program :p

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey, if you're happy using Win 10, that's a good thing, anything that pleases people is to be favoured, seriously.

But not for me, not just yet, anyway, and yes, it probably is political.

I did just have a thought, what if MS had charged for Win 10? And UK users had to pay a typical sum of £80 to use it? I fear the crtiticism may have been a lot harsher than it is at present. I figure MS knew this as it's not like them to give anything away.

So they're probably hoping to recoup their hypothetical shortfall by selling 'apps'.

Apps/schmapps/ DLC/la-dee-dee - we are all mugs :fool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
@Abarbarian : All in the FAQ. :)

...not that anyone reads FAQ's....!

Blimey you guys are on the ball we a have a sticky FAQ :eek: I never noticed :lol:

Oh well it can not hurt to have the information repeated.

As to trying W 10 I may just have a play next year in July :cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
haha, yep.

its all good, theres quite a lot to take in tbh. :)

Reaction score
After yesterday's abortive attempt. I've reinstalled the upgrade on my laptop. I let the install just run with it's defaults rather than fiddle with them like yesterday. There will be lots of tidying up to do and apps to uninstall. Had a couple of problems; MS Money which sorted out easily and an annoying error message at startup to do with the ATI video "card" in the laptop. Atibtmon.exe was the problem; I've renamed it and the problem has gone away.

Can't say I like the start menu; looks messy to me. I expect that I'll get used to the new OS like I did with Win8.1. The jury is out on whether I will upgrade my main PC.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Seems Windows 10 doesn't like us disabling UAC. I disabled it and the got a message saying I can't access store without it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh no! You can't access the store! What a tragedy! :lol:

Sounds about right, MS want you, they want to own you, they want to dictate to you.

And I almost fell for it.

Anybody here who plays games needing high res use an AMD/Radeon card? Having any probs? Lots of people are, apparently.

Still, early days, they say.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Seems Windows 10 doesn't like us disabling UAC. I disabled it and the got a message saying I can't access store without it.
I'm not at home at the mo. But I've not got uac enabled and the store has loaded fine for me.

I haven't tried it yet, bit when I get back I'm going to try the Xbox streaming (yes I'm signed up to the insider program)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
gone back to W7 on my laptop. Over the last few days on W10 it was overheating and the fan was going full ball most of the time. Back to W7 and no overheating and fan is running normal.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a coincidence or not but my mate's daughter's 5 year old Packard Bell 14" laptop just died - after changing from Win 7 to Win 10.

My diagnosis is CPU or mainboard failure and uneconomical to repair, unfortunately, but I am wondering whether increased demands of a new OS may have pushed it over the edge.

Nah, couldn't be, could it?

Ask a Question