Windows 10 Windows 10 Upgrade Notice

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
aye, best to export/backup your favourites from IE & Ophra, I dunno how, 'cos I don't use them. :)

good luck, free Guinness when yous done.

you shouldn't need to input any codes on upgrade, if you don't get activated, just wait a day or so ... you will/should only need any codes for a clean install, if you didn't upgrade first.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Guess what? The Win 10 'upgrade' icon is back in the task bar today :confused:

Perhaps MS received a myriad of complaints and questions wondering what was going on and folks expressing confusion over how to 'upgrade'. Like me.

I've decided to hold back for a while, have been reading hither and thither and some express the opinion that Win 10 is not so much an upgrade but more of a 'tie-in' whereby they close their grip on you just a little tighter and make sure you're exposed to their 'app' store.

As well as Notepad you'll have to be a MS member if you want the free Solitaire game as well. True colours to the fore there eh?.

I may just install Win 10 on a trial basis without activation on a spare HDD on my AMD machine, just to take a peek.

On the positive side I also read that all of those tiles directing you to part with your money to MS can be easily removed.

Still dithering am I.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
The Win 10 'upgrade' icon is back in the task bar today :confused:

Mine also vanished on my HP laptop, then reappeared this morning. So upgrade time it is. Lets see if it breaths new life in to this laptop. If not I have an image on my DNS320L :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Still dithering am I.

Nope! you're not. :)

This, "you got to have an MS account" to do stuff we already had is getting on my nerves a bit too. That and the fact I used the Win 7 "Pro" version to upgrade that doesn't support games (you know what I mean), no solitare its the pits!! All they have done is follow what Google have done with Android and Apple.

While Notepad is still present, albeit hidden from view, I'm finding other aspects a bit frustrating ... I cannot get LoTRO to install, nevermind run, and it's from steam. :rolleyes:

Time to go eat.

Reaction score
The update of my laptop is underway. Made the mistake initially of thinking I could install from booting the DVD I had burnt.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Do not delete " Windows Old " unless you are 100% sure you are sticking with W10. If you do you won't be able to restore back to previous version of W10. That is unless you already have a back up image :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
welcome ... more frustrations to follow ... put the kettle on ... congratulations in finding a fix. :)

:user:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Windows defender told me I had potential malicious software on my laptop. Look what it reported.
10.png

Reaction score
MS sent me a nice email telling that they are sorry that i'm having to wait for my chance to download Win 10.
But it would not be long to wait and that I could see what it was like at a web link.
Hope they have not taken my comments to heart!!!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
MS sent me a nice email telling that they are sorry that i'm having to wait for my chance to download Win 10.
But it would not be long to wait and that I could see what it was like at a web link.
Hope they have not taken my comments to heart!!!
Stop waiting. Just use the TOOL

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reaction score
I'm in the process of rolling back to 8.1. I had a problem with the Win10 task bar/system tray. Went into safe mode to see if I could sort it out and then couldn't get out of safe mode. I spent ages trying but I've given up for the moment.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A little while ago I installed Win 10 from the DVD I burnt from the downloaded ISO, Home Edition, 64 Bit, to a 500Gb Hard Disk I let have all to itself.

Only took about 20 minutes, prompted me twice to enter activation code but installed without me entering a code, I don't know how long it will last, no nags to register anywhere I can see.

Only had a quick look around, initial impression better than Win 8.1; emphasis on 'apps' (I'm beginning to hate the term 'apps' even more than the term 'DLC') but I still feel a bit lost. That's ok, I can take time to explore. Where's the Control Panel then?

During install it wanted me to do an 'Express Installation' which basically gave Microsoft free rein to look wherever the hell they wanted to on my machine. I chose 'Custom Installation' and turned off every single one of them, will explore later.

It's fast, but no software - er, sorry, 'apps' - installed yet.

It didn't recognise my Asus DG Xonar sound card and looked to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface device as the default sound device which it couldn't activate as the Scarlett does need drivers. But the Asus soundcard was recognised by Win 7 - this is progress?

Anyhow, early days, I shall have a mess about before Win 10 expires through lack of activation code being entered, I guess I should at least have 14 days but I don't know.

Ask a Question