What kind of case?

Newtechie

Hi -

I have started the process of purchasing my components to build my computer.
I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE motherboard and I'm
having trouble finding a case for it. Does anyone else have this
motherboard or know of a site I could look at to find one?
After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks like the audio
ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.

Thanks in advance.

Newtechie

D.Currie

Newtechie said:
Hi -

I have started the process of purchasing my components to build my
computer. I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE
motherboard and I'm having trouble finding a case for it. Does anyone
else have this motherboard or know of a site I could look at to find one?
After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks like the audio
ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.

Thanks in advance.

Newtechie

The motherboard should come with a snap-in for the case so the jacks are
exposed properly. You just remove the one from the case, install the one
that comes with the motherboard, and that's it.

Jim Macklin

Retail motherboards do come with the insert when the ports
are not in the "standard" arrangement. These are for RFI
shielding and electrical grounding. They are also thin
sheet metal and many are not deburred, so you can cut
yourself. A small block of wood, a 6 inch section is useful
to press/tap the new plate in without bend or other damage.

| | > Hi -
| >
| > I have started the process of purchasing my components
to build my
| > computer. I decided to buy the Gigabyte "GA-8IPE1000
PRO-G" i865PE
| > motherboard and I'm having trouble finding a case for
it. Does anyone
| > else have this motherboard or know of a site I could
look at to find one?
| > After looking at the design of the motherboard, it looks
like the audio
| > ports are horizontal, compared to most being vertical.
| >
| > Thanks in advance.
| >
| > Newtechie
| >

| The motherboard should come with a snap-in for the case so
the jacks are
| exposed properly. You just remove the one from the case,
install the one
| that comes with the motherboard, and that's it.

peter

I just went through this...I rebuild my system into a new case.I bought an
Aluminum Chen-Ming 601AE.Nice large case,reasonably priced,easy to work with.The
I/O shield that came with the case was easy to push in...you push from the
outside and pry on the inside and it pops right out or should I say in.Then I
installed the correct shield for my MOBO and I just pushed and it snapped into
place.
It was my first attempt at this and was really surprised at how easy it actually
was.
good luck
peter

Newtechie

Thanks D. Currie and Jim! I verified the contents of the package and
it does come with one.

Mike Hall

Wait till the power/hdd leds start flashing.. you might want to sit down for
that part.. :)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

Jim Macklin

You're welcome. Take your time and follow the instructions.
Don't over-tighten and be careful when you insert or remove
IDE and other connectors, you can damage the mobo.

Don't throw any extra parts away, put them in a container
and save them, you may want some screw or stand-off next
week or next year.

Save all the paper-work.

| Thanks D. Currie and Jim! I verified the contents of the
package and
| it does come with one.

in message
| | > Retail motherboards do come with the insert when the
ports
| > are not in the "standard" arrangement. These are for
RFI
| > shielding and electrical grounding. They are also thin
| > sheet metal and many are not deburred, so you can cut
| > yourself. A small block of wood, a 6 inch section is
useful
| > to press/tap the new plate in without bend or other
damage.

| > --

message
| > | > |

components
| > to build my
| > PRO-G" i865PE
for
| > it. Does anyone
| > look at to find one?
looks
| > like the audio
vertical.

| > |
| > | The motherboard should come with a snap-in for the
case so
| > the jacks are
| > | exposed properly. You just remove the one from the
case,
| > install the one
| > | that comes with the motherboard, and that's it.
| > |
| > |

myob

I built my very 1st home built PC last month and it was fabulous!

One idea I came up with, just because I was so paranoid about the
stand-offs, was to put the stand-offs in the case where I thought they
should go. Then I placed the motherboard on top of them, where it should go,
and then to a marker, and through each of the connecting holes in the
motherboard, I marked the stand-off underneath. Then I took the motherboard
off, and verified that I marked all the stand-offs that I had in place. That
way, if I had a stand-off in the wrong spot, it wouldn't have gotten marked.

Have fun!

Newtechie

Hi Myob,

I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get started! I have two
questions for you: What are standoffs and how long did it take you to
assemble yours?

Newtechie

NobodyMan

S T O P I M M E D I A T E L Y !!!

If you have to ask what standoffs are, you have no business building
your computer, at least not without supervision. Seek help first!

Jim Macklin

The backside of the mobo has open, uninsulated solder
connections. If they touch a metal case the mobo will short
and be destroyed. Stand-offs are the method used to keep a
space between the case and the mobo. Some mfg'rs use metal
studs that screw into holes in the case and have a threaded
hole to attach the mobo. Other companies use plastic clips.

With a little pre-planning, a computer can be assembled in
less than an hour, if you are figuring out each step as you
go, it can take all afternoon or evening. Then you have to
have an hour or two to install software and mobo drivers.
Then turn the firewall, ON and do Windows updates.
Then some more time to install applications.

wrote in message
instructions.
| >> Don't over-tighten and be careful when you insert or
remove
| >> IDE and other connectors, you can damage the mobo.
| >>
| >> Don't throw any extra parts away, put them in a
container
| >> and save them, you may want some screw or stand-off
next
| >> week or next year.
| >>
| >> Save all the paper-work.
| >>

| >> --
| >> The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

| >> package and
| >> |
| >> |
wrote
| >> in message
| >> ports
for
| >> RFI
thin
cut
is
| >> useful
| >> damage.

rights;
overcome.

| >> message
| >> | > | >> | > |
message

| >> components
"GA-8IPE1000
case
| >> for
could
| >> looks
| >> vertical.

| >> | > |
the
| >> case so
the
| >> case,
| >> | > |
| >> | > |

| >> |
| >> |

Newtechie

First of all, I don't appreciate your tone - there was no need for the caps.
If I knew it all, I wouldn't be here getting assistance, so common sense
should tell you that's why I'm here. I'm not advanced as some here but I'm
not stupid either. I now know what stand-offs are, but for future reference
I suggest you answer someone's question or keep your comments to yourself!

Newtechie

Thanks Jim! I am pre-planning as we speak. I have an old computer which
I'm practicing on so hopefully that'll help. Is there a way to keep the
backside of the motherboard from touching the case?

Newtechie

wrote in message
instructions.
| >> Don't over-tighten and be careful when you insert or
remove
| >> IDE and other connectors, you can damage the mobo.
| >>
| >> Don't throw any extra parts away, put them in a
container
| >> and save them, you may want some screw or stand-off
next
| >> week or next year.
| >>
| >> Save all the paper-work.
| >>

| >> --
| >> The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
| >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

| >> package and
| >> |
| >> |
wrote
| >> in message
| >> ports
for
| >> RFI
thin
cut
is
| >> useful
| >> damage.

rights;
overcome.

| >> message
| >> | > | >> | > |
message

| >> components
"GA-8IPE1000
case
| >> for
could
| >> looks
| >> vertical.

| >> | > |
the
| >> case so
the
| >> case,
| >> | > |
| >> | > |

| >> |
| >> |

Leythos

Thanks Jim! I am pre-planning as we speak. I have an old computer which
I'm practicing on so hopefully that'll help. Is there a way to keep the
backside of the motherboard from touching the case?

Since you won't have POWER turned on, and the power cord will NOT be
connected to the PSU, if the MB touches the case during install you won't
have a problem.

You just need to make sure that you put as many stand-off screws in the
motherboard as you did stand-offs on the metal backplate. You might also
consider some of the plastic stand-off types in some locations if you run
out of metal ones.

One last thing - make sure you use the right screws - you DO NOT want the
screw head going past the round doughnut pad around the hole - certainly
not so that it touches any electrical circuits.

Jim Macklin

That is what the stand-off do. As far as I know, they don't
make a plastic mounting tray, but the stand-offs serve the
purpose electrically and they provide an air space for
cooling.

| Thanks Jim! I am pre-planning as we speak. I have an old
computer which
| I'm practicing on so hopefully that'll help. Is there a
way to keep the
| backside of the motherboard from touching the case?
|
| Newtechie

in message
| | > The backside of the mobo has open, uninsulated solder
| > connections. If they touch a metal case the mobo will
short
| > and be destroyed. Stand-offs are the method used to
keep a
| > space between the case and the mobo. Some mfg'rs use
metal
| > studs that screw into holes in the case and have a
threaded
| > hole to attach the mobo. Other companies use plastic
clips.

| > With a little pre-planning, a computer can be assembled
in
| > less than an hour, if you are figuring out each step as
you
| > go, it can take all afternoon or evening. Then you have
| > have an hour or two to install software and mobo
drivers.
| > Then turn the firewall, ON and do Windows updates.
| > Then some more time to install applications.
| >

| > --

| > |
| > | I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait to get
started!
| > I have two
| > | questions for you: What are standoffs and how long
did it
| > take you to
| > | assemble yours?
| > |
| > | Newtechie
| > |
| > fabulous!

paranoid
| > about the
where
| > I thought they
them,
| > where it should
connecting
| > holes in the
| > took the
that
| > I had in place.
wouldn't
| > have gotten

| > instructions.
or
| > remove

| > container
| > next

| > rights;
overcome.

| > the
| > | >> |
| > | >> |
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
| > wrote
| > the
are
| > for
also
| > thin
can
| > cut
section
| > is
other

their
| > rights;
| > overcome.

in
| > | >> | > | > | >> | > |
| > message

| > "GA-8IPE1000
| > case
site I
| > could
motherboard,
| > it
being

| > | >> | > |
for
| > the
from
| > the
it.
| > | >> | > |
| > | >> | > |

| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > |
| > |

RonK

Just take your time - recheck the assembly as it goes together. It is a
great feeling after your first computer assembly is successful. If you do
have any problems - just post back here.

Newtechie

Hi RonK,

How many standoffs should I put on the case and how many should I place on
the motherboard? I just broke down an old system and there was only 3 on
the case and 2 on the motherboard.

Newtechie