What kind of case?

Leythos

How many standoffs should I put on the case and how many should I place on
the motherboard? I just broke down an old system and there was only 3 on
the case and 2 on the motherboard.

All Standoffs go on the metal plate behind the motherboard where there is
a complementary screw hole for them in the motherboard. Stand-offs don't
mount on the motherboard, they mount on the backplate and should be
secured tightly. The screws go through the motherboard into the stand-offs.

Jim Macklin

One on every mounting hole on the mobo.

| Hi RonK,
|
| How many standoffs should I put on the case and how many
should I place on
| the motherboard? I just broke down an old system and
there was only 3 on
| the case and 2 on the motherboard.
|
| Newtechie
|

| | > Just take your time - recheck the assembly as it goes
together. It is a
| > great feeling after your first computer assembly is
successful. If you do
| > have any problems - just post back here.

| >> caps. If I knew it all, I wouldn't be here getting
assistance, so common
| >> sense should tell you that's why I'm here. I'm not
advanced as some here
| >> but I'm not stupid either. I now know what stand-offs
are, but for
| >> future reference I suggest you answer someone's
question or keep your
| >> comments to yourself!

business building
help first!

<[email protected]>

started! I have two
did it take you to

paranoid about the
where I thought they
them, where it
connecting holes in the
I took the
that I had in
wouldn't have gotten

or remove

container

rights;
overcome.

| >>>>>> |
| >>>>>> |
are for
also thin
can cut
section is
other

their rights;
overcome.

in
| >>>>>> | > | >>>>>> | > |
message

"GA-8IPE1000
a case
site I could
motherboard, it
being

| >>>>>> | > |
for the
from the
it.
| >>>>>> | > |
| >>>>>> | > |

| >>>>>> |
| >>>>>> |

krok dundee

Newtechie uttered the following on 1/31/2005 10:09 PM:
First of all, I don't appreciate your tone - there was no need for the caps.
If I knew it all, I wouldn't be here getting assistance, so common sense
should tell you that's why I'm here. I'm not advanced as some here but I'm
not stupid either. I now know what stand-offs are, but for future reference
I suggest you answer someone's question or keep your comments to yourself!
Hey NewTechie, don't worry too much about trolls like Nobodyman, like
his user id says, he's a nobody. There's a few around. As you can see
all the other answers came from decent "once newbies" and gurus alike.
Good luck in your build. It is a very satisfying experience.
Take care, Krok

NobodyMan

I've fixed so many computer from folks who decided to "strike out on
their own" and shorted out their fine, brand new motherboard, often
taking out other components as well. I was hoping to stop you from
having this happen, but kids will be kids....

I still recommend getting at least minimal supervision the first time
you, or anybody, builds their own system.

NobodyMan

Hey NewTechie, don't worry too much about trolls like Nobodyman, like
his user id says, he's a nobody. There's a few around. As you can see
all the other answers came from decent "once newbies" and gurus alike.
Good luck in your build. It is a very satisfying experience.
Take care, Krok

A nobody that's fixed more broken systems than you could possiblly
count, including dozens of them where a newbie decided to strike out
on their own and ended up shorting out the mainboard, video, audio,
memory, and even processors. I've seen newbies slap in the processor,
attach the heat sink/fan, and not include the thermal grease required
by the heat sink- and ended up with a nice expensive CPU paperweight.
Memory forced in backwards, breaking it or the mounts on the board.
Mainboards cracked/busted when too much force was used installing
periperhals.

But, yea, I must be a nobody. I obviously have no experience and my
advice can safely be ignored (I hope you noticed the sarcasm in my
post here).

Newtechie

Mr. Nobody,

If you can HONESTLY tell me that when you started out as newbie and the
people who assisted you when you had questions or needed help with the
anything, were rude to you just to make you understand what you were doing,
then I'll shut up. Otherwise, being that you have "all this experience", I
would assume you'd have a little more patience with people who's starting
out. There's a very tactful way to get your point across without name
calling and insults. Everyone here has been very nice and so supportive of
me in this endeavor and has offered me an overwhelming wealth of information
without being negative or mean. If you read a post and there's something in
it that irritates you, don't respond or let the poster know in a suggestive
manner what they could do to resolve their problem.

That's all.

Newtechie

peter

The stand offs worried me as well and they actually were the hardest part of the
whole process.
Determining where to srew them on the Mobo tray was not the problem...the
problem was holding those damn little screws with a non magnetic screwdriver and
getting them in those small holes.It took patience and a few Beers and
Cigarettes to finally get them all in.Then I proceeded to add the rest of the
components.
Before I started I did a Google on Computer builds and came up with some really
good websites... very detailed pictures and videos.
Might I suggest you do that??
peter
Newtechie said:
Leythos,

Which are better? metal or plastic?

Newtechie

Newtechie

Thanks Peters! I have been reading Tom's hardware.com. Very informative I
must say and there are a couple of video clips on some things. Do you know
which site you were used as your guide?

As far as the stand offs, do you know how many you used in total? Did they
come with the case or motherboard?

Newtechie

peter said:
The stand offs worried me as well and they actually were the hardest part
of the whole process.
Determining where to srew them on the Mobo tray was not the problem...the
problem was holding those damn little screws with a non magnetic
screwdriver and getting them in those small holes.It took patience and a
few Beers and Cigarettes to finally get them all in.Then I proceeded to
add the rest of the components.
Before I started I did a Google on Computer builds and came up with some
really good websites... very detailed pictures and videos.
Might I suggest you do that??
peter

EasyFeelings

dude, it's not a put down........

it is sound advice, if you don't even know the basics, you stand to fry what
$400-600 worth of parts?
i have been building systems for going on 7 years now, and yes i fried a few
in the beginning due to pride and ego.
BE SURE ABOUT WHAT YOUR DOING.................

doesn't hurt to have an extra set of eyes around.

peter

I used 9 standoffs and they came with the case.....the old ones did not fit I
had to use the new ones that came with the case.
I held the mobo up to the tray and used a long skinny really soft pencil to mark
the holes and then screwed the standoffs in.
Make sure you test the screws that go into the stand offs first from the whole
bunch that will come with the case.
http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_install_firewire_usb20.shtml
http://www.emaxsys.com/buildidx.htm
http://www.jncs.com/techdocs/installation-motherboard.pdf?JNCS=91cbf97764702cacb95db85e2210daba
http://www.directron.com/byo.html

each one had a specific part of the installation that they showed better than
the others.
Having 2 computers helped in that I could see the help guides as I was working
on the rebuild.
You will also need a flashlight to read that very fine print on the mobo for
connecting those wires from the front of the case to the mobo...power/speaker/hd
lite/usb/firewire/????.......
peter

Newtechie

Easy,

I can understand that if his first statement wasn't rude and in all caps. I
have no problem with constructive criticism or firm advice but at the same
time I'm gonna be treated as if I'm stupid or don't know anything. I know
the basics of what I'm doing but it doesn't hurt to get others opinions
and/or suggestions. I'm more than sure if I didn't know I wouldn't be
attempting such a task.

Jim Macklin

They make tweezers, screw starters and magnetic screwdrivers
will cause not problems assembling a computer, the magnetic
field strength of a screwdriver is less than that in the
shielded hard drive and floppy drive. Just don't use a
magnetic screwdriver to fix the VHS tape cassette for your
TV.

| The stand offs worried me as well and they actually were
the hardest part of the
| whole process.
| Determining where to srew them on the Mobo tray was not
the problem...the
| problem was holding those damn little screws with a non
magnetic screwdriver and
| getting them in those small holes.It took patience and a
few Beers and
| Cigarettes to finally get them all in.Then I proceeded to
add the rest of the
| components.
| Before I started I did a Google on Computer builds and
came up with some really
| good websites... very detailed pictures and videos.
| Might I suggest you do that??
| peter
| | > Leythos,
| >
| > Which are better? metal or plastic?
| >
| > Newtechie

old computer which
a way to keep the

| >> Since you won't have POWER turned on, and the power
cord will NOT be
| >> connected to the PSU, if the MB touches the case during
install you won't
| >> have a problem.
| >>
| >> You just need to make sure that you put as many
stand-off screws in the
| >> motherboard as you did stand-offs on the metal
backplate. You might also
| >> consider some of the plastic stand-off types in some
locations if you run
| >> out of metal ones.
| >>
| >> One last thing - make sure you use the right screws -
you DO NOT want the
| >> screw head going past the round doughnut pad around the
hole - certainly
| >> not so that it touches any electrical circuits.
| >>

| >> --
| >> (e-mail address removed)
| >> remove 999 in order to email me

Jim Macklin

Stand-offs came with the ANTEC cases I have used, over a
dozen. The mobo has mounting holes, the mobo manual will
show which holes to use. You should have every mounting
hole on the mobo used. It may be as few as 5 and as many as
a dozen, depends on the mobo.

| Thanks Peters! I have been reading Tom's hardware.com.
Very informative I
| must say and there are a couple of video clips on some
things. Do you know
| which site you were used as your guide?
|
| As far as the stand offs, do you know how many you used in
total? Did they
| come with the case or motherboard?
|
| Newtechie
|
| | > The stand offs worried me as well and they actually were
the hardest part
| > of the whole process.
| > Determining where to srew them on the Mobo tray was not
the problem...the
| > problem was holding those damn little screws with a non
magnetic
| > screwdriver and getting them in those small holes.It
took patience and a
| > few Beers and Cigarettes to finally get them all in.Then
I proceeded to
| > add the rest of the components.
| > Before I started I did a Google on Computer builds and
came up with some
| > really good websites... very detailed pictures and
videos.
| > Might I suggest you do that??
| > peter
| >>
| >> Which are better? metal or plastic?
| >>
| >> Newtechie

an old computer
there a way to keep

cord will NOT be
during install you

stand-off screws in the
backplate. You might also
locations if you

you DO NOT want
the hole - certainly

Ryan

Newtechie,

Just ignore the negative. I myself just got done building a P4 2.26 system.
I must admit, I did not know as much basics as others claim you need coming
into the project. Did I mess up? No, I completed the project with no
problems.

But that is the whole point of these newsgroups as you know. You are doing
the right thing arming yourself with all the info you need and there's
nothing wrong with that. The 'know it all' group seem to look down on
newbies and obviously don't have any time but to cut down newbies with
insults and negative remarks.

Newtechie

You are absolutely right Ryan! I'll just ignore anymore negative
threads. The energy I spend writing them back could be energy
going into my project.

How long did it take you?

Newtechie

Ryan

Once I had everything I needed, it only took me a few hours. The best advice
I can give is to take your time, be patient and apply everything you have
learned.

NobodyMan

Actually, when I built my first system under the very watchful eyes of
a friend who was a computer repairman, he actually yelled STOP at me a
few times, and once even slapped my hand. It wasn't a negative in any
way - it got my attention and kept me from destroying $1200 in parts
and I was grateful - yes, grateful - of that attention. Sometimes we
need that that slap to the face to get our attention. I just let it
roll off as I realized it wasn't personal. It was a method of
stopping me immediately - and it worked. Obviously it still works, as
it got your attention.

Newtechie

Jim -

Ok - I assembled the motherboard on a sheet on a table. I have the CPU and
ram connected to the motherboard. Since I don't have the power supply or
video card, I can't test it to see if it starts up. I had to figure out for
myself where the holes on the motherboard aligned with the holes on the
metal case because it didn't say in the manual. I think the motherboard
probably touched the metal case just a little as I had to use it to find out
exactly where to place the standoffs. Do you think I could have shorten the
mobo even if the power supply or anything else wasn't connected? Is there a
way of testing it?

Newtechie

Jim Macklin

As long as there is no power applied, you can't short
anything. When I did mine, I put the mobo in the case, with
the ports aligned to the back panel. Then I used a Magic
Marker to mark the holes on the case. The goal is to fully
support the mobo and not have anything touching the backside
of the mobo that could short it out. That means no screws
left to rattle around too.

When you get it assembled, double check that all the fans
are connected correctly and connect the monitor, keyboard
and mouse. Turn it on and it should perform the POST (power
on self test) and then display(turned ON too) the message
that there is no operating system installed. It will have
some beeps on the way as it does that. Check the BIOS setup,
make sure the CD is the first device for boot order. Insert
the XP CD and reboot it, just press the power switch twice.
It will detect the XP CD (make sure the BIOS is set to first
boot device)

Follow the prompts. As soon as XP is loaded, install the
mobo drivers that come on the CD with the mobo. Just have
the bare bones, no printers, scanners or other devices
connected until later.
Then, created your Internet connection, turn the firewall
ON, and do Windows update.
Then install any additional hardware, applications and when
the system is running properly, install your backed up data.
It is best to do one item at a time so you know what is
causing problems should any happen.

| Jim -
|
| Ok - I assembled the motherboard on a sheet on a table. I
have the CPU and
| ram connected to the motherboard. Since I don't have the
power supply or
| video card, I can't test it to see if it starts up. I had
to figure out for
| myself where the holes on the motherboard aligned with the
holes on the
| metal case because it didn't say in the manual. I think
the motherboard
| probably touched the metal case just a little as I had to
use it to find out
| exactly where to place the standoffs. Do you think I
could have shorten the
| mobo even if the power supply or anything else wasn't
connected? Is there a
| way of testing it?
|
| Newtechie

in message
| | > Stand-offs came with the ANTEC cases I have used, over a
| > dozen. The mobo has mounting holes, the mobo manual
will
| > show which holes to use. You should have every mounting
| > hole on the mobo used. It may be as few as 5 and as
many as
| > a dozen, depends on the mobo.
| >

| > --

hardware.com.
| > Very informative I
| > | must say and there are a couple of video clips on some
| > things. Do you know
| > | which site you were used as your guide?
| > |
| > | As far as the stand offs, do you know how many you
used in
| > total? Did they
| > | come with the case or motherboard?
| > |
| > | Newtechie
| > |
| > the hardest part
not
| > the problem...the
non
| > magnetic
| > took patience and a
in.Then
| > I proceeded to
and
| > came up with some
| > videos.

have
| > an old computer
| > there a way to keep
case?

power
| > cord will NOT be
| > during install you

| > stand-off screws in the
| > backplate. You might also
some
| > locations if you

screws -
| > you DO NOT want
around
| > the hole - certainly

| > |
| > |

Newtechie

I have run into a small problem. I can't figure out the connections with
the case fans. On the motherboard, there's two 3-pin connectors - one is
for system fan and the other is for power fan. In my Thermaltake case,
there are 3 fans: front, rear, and on the side door. For the front and
rear fans, how do I know which one to connect goes with the power or system
connector? I'm not for sure about the side door fan either as it has 2 IDE
power wires. Does this connect directly to the power supply?