Ebuyer.com would you trust them ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I just can not seem to get a break these days.

I have used Ebuyer for quite a few years and apart from some lousy packaging they have been pretty good.

So I decided to buy my new mobo from them. This one

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7-EU Socket LGA1151 HDMI 5.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

This is the same mobo as my last one so I am pretty familiar with it and the box it came in. Parcel arrived and I ripped open the packaging to find.

A Gigabyte mobo box with no security stickers at all. An also it was a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 mobo according to the serial number sticker on the side of the box. No sign of any EU designation anywhere.

Now there is apparently no difference between the Gaming 7 and the Gaming 7-EU apart from giveaways for different markets.
Well almost, as far as I can tell the Gaming 7 has a three year warranty and the Gaming 7-EU has a four year warranty.
The Ebuyer page above does state that there is a four year warranty with the board but is it for the mobo advertised or the mobo they sent me ? An if it is the mobo they sent me do I have to jump through hoops and waste my time sorting this out ?

So What do you folks think.

Is it ok for a company to send you an item that is not as advertised and expect you to jump through hoops to sort out warranty ?
Is there a free offer for the EU mobo ? How would I know ? There was last time, World of Warships that I was not interested in at least I had the choice.
Is it ok for a company to send you out a product with no manufacturers security stickers in place ?

:cool:

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
So What do you folks think.

Is it ok for a company to send you out a product with no manufacturers security stickers in place ?
This shouldn't have happened if it was advertised as new. It might have been a display unit, but even that needs to be specified before the sale. If this was any other supplier, I would send it back, but I cannot recommend sending anything back to eBuyer.

It has been a long time since I've last used them. I stopped using them because they sent a product which was faulty on arrival. It was very hard to sort out a return using the webchat, but eventually, I was sent an RMA number.

I was advised by eBuyer that I will have to pay the return postage, but it will be refunded if the item is found to be faulty. So I posted the product back to them and it was very expensive. Obviously, I scanned the receipt and sent it to them.

The next day, a courier shows up, asking for the product which I had already sent. I thought, well why didn't they tell me that they would send their own courier!! Things only got worse from here.

When the product arrived, it was confirmed to be faulty. But they would only give me a partial refund, because I "may have been able to use the product for ONE DAY" and they also would not refund the very expensive postage, because "I had returned the item without using their courier service".

Now I have two problems with this. One, why on earth should I only get a partial refund if it was faulty on arrival?! Even if it worked for one day then failed, I'd still want a full refund!

Two, why did they tell me to ship the product back to them, also that they would cover the return postage cost, then send a courier out anyway?! Because of this, they wouldn't refund the expensive postage charge.

Never used them again since. I don't recommend returning your motherboard to them because they will probably only give you a partial refund and make you pay for the return postage.

- Capt. Jack Sparrow.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian, is your motherboard faulty? Does it do all that the advertised board can do? Is there any question whether it's a new board or ex-demo etc? Or is it just a question of three or four year warranty because of the EU designation?

If it's just warranty then after one year you'd deal directly with the UK headquarters of Gigabyte anyway so I suggest you get it registered with them.

If there's any other issue apart from warranty then I'd contact Ebuyer and demand a replacement or refund.

As for Ebuyer, I've used them for at least 15 years and they've blown hot and cold, in my experience.

They started off crap, then got very good indeed when it came to sorting issues and now - again in my experience - sort of medium.

I don't use them now if I can help it as a few years back I bought an AMD Asus motherboard from them. After a week the NIC chip packed up so I contacted them with a view to a replacement motherboard. They requested I e-mailed photographs of the faulty board to them to prove I wasn't trying to substitute a faulty board not purchased from them for the 'good' board they'd sent me.

They assumed every customer had the facility to take and email photographs to them. Photographs presumably taken with a camera with a macro facility as they wanted to see the serial number on the board. It also meant they suspected me of being a fraudster.

I weighed up the situation - go with Ebuyer's demands, means waiting in at home all day for 2 days for collection and delivery and I'd be without my new motherboard for anything from one to three weeks.

So I nipped down PC world and bought a NIC card for a fiver. The board is still working fine with NIC card to this day, I sold it as part of a complete PC to a mate of mine.

Now I only use Ebuyer when they're stocking goods that other suppliers do not at a good price, such as hard disk caddies and trays.

So, would not recommend Ebuyer, not any more.

Good luck with your problem.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
@Captain Jack Sparrow @floppybootstomp

It is supposed to be a brand new mobo

As far as I can tell the 7 and 7-EU are exactly the same

My biggest concern is the lack of official Gigabyte security stickers.

The box looks new and so does the anti-static bag :ie it looks unused. However it is easy to put a mobob in a new bag.

I have asked a Q at Ebuyer and am contacting Gigabyte.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TBH, if it looked like it was new then I'd be ok with it - it may not even come with security stickers :).

I had a look on youtube at the "unboxing" vidoes (my god some of those are boring!) and I couldn't see any security stickers during the video, but I did skim them.

That's one nice looking motherboard :D.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
TBH, if it looked like it was new then I'd be ok with it - it may not even come with security stickers :).

I had a look on youtube at the "unboxing" vidoes (my god some of those are boring!) and I couldn't see any security stickers during the video, but I did skim them.

That's one nice looking motherboard :D.

Yup it looked sweet with me red ram and the leds lit.

Me other mobo had security stickers on the box. An as far as I can remember almost every piece of kit with electronics has ahd security stickers on the box. Even that poxy water cooler had em.

Really I am hacked of that suppliers seem to think it is ok to sell you what they feel like rather than what you order. Bet they would be well hacked of if they ordered lobster and got king prawn on their world cruise.

Ask a Question