Windows Vista Vista Event Viewer - Windows Error Log

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to read the log for Applications and System? I am having a constant error message concerning MsiInstaller and I can't figure out what that is.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What does the error message say exactly ...

:user:

Reaction score
There are a couple different ones that I am seeing but this one is on the log quite frequently and has been for a while.
"Detection of product '{30465B6C-B53F-49A1-9EBA-A3F187AD502E}', feature 'SoleFeature' failed during request for component '{D2D7B4BF-6CCA-11D5-8B3F-00105A9846E9}'
How do I know which of these messages are important? Is there are reference material on the internet that explains how to interpret Windows log files?

By the way, I could absolutely not copy & paste this error onto this thread. I first used print screen and pasted it to PAINT - tried to copy & paste but could not. Cannot not even get the option to copy from Windows Log files. Then I tried to copy from PAINT & paste to WORD & Wordpad and could not. Some of these error messages are very long and have lots of numbers - which always mixes me up - I'm 62 yrs and new to Vista. Good but not great at PC stuff. Loved Windows 98 & XP!!!!!!!

Thanx for your help.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...7&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports!

Run Event Viewer and double click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button resembling two pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your message (or email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

:)

Now, havin said all that, I don't do event logs, pain in the ass, I like real error messages like stop errors. Even a BSOD will usually give me more info.

oh, and most of us here are a wee bit long in the tooth. ;)

So, going back to your original post, try this ...

Go to Start button and type ...
regsvr32 msi.dll
then
Go to Start button and type ...
SFC /SCANNOW

you may/will need your OS CD/DVD

Vista users may have to ...

click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

user.gif

oh, and I and anyone who uses MS will have a shed load of errors in the event log ... only go looking if you really have a problem. :D

happywave.gif

Ask a Question