Using USB card reader in XP

G

I've bought a USB 6 in one card reader from eMagic and can't get it to work in Windows XP. I have an Abit Asus SR-7 motherboard, celeron 1,8 GHz processor and XP SP1 and is always updating latest service packs each time they arrive. Still - when plugging in the card reader, XP is saying "USB Mass storage found" and that's it. Nothing else is working, the PC hangs and if I get lucky, the Task manager is displaying after 10 minutes waiting, saying that "system" uses 100% of the CPU... Nothing else is working and all I can do is unplugging the USB cable and restart the computer

Update driver from device manager is telling me that there is not any new USB drivers available..

Same card reader works at my job, on a Compaq Deskpro PC, but not at home

What am I doing wrong? The eMagic card reader needs no driver installing for XP(only driver for 98/200 is required)..

Please help me working the USB device - have not tried any other USB devices because I don't have any other..

regard

Ole Ch
from Norwa
land of vikings

G

I don't know if the following works or would work for you. However, this is the answer I received. My personal solution was to put the card reader back on a Windows 98 machine (or maybe it was Windows ME - it's turned off now)

I've had no good luck with Windows XP. We've got one machine in-house and it's yet to run it's intended music application. The first week we had it we had to activate it 3 times because of the various configuration changes. What a pain

[In the following where it says PCChips you would use eMagic or whatever hardware vendor.

Subject: RE: UCR61S2B problem with X

Dear customer

Please go to the control panel, system, hardware, devices manager and uninstall the driver.

1. Unplug the card reader

2. Restart the computer,

3. Download the driver from www.pcchipusa.com, suppor

4. Install the driver and plug the card reader back

Best regards

Tech Support Dep

PC Wave Inc.

E

Edward W. Thompson

Have you tried reloading the USB drivers? If not, go to device
manager and delete everything under Universal Serial Bus Controllers
and then re boot. The USB drivers will then reinstall and hopefully