Card reader not recognised

Reaction score
My PC (XP Pro) won't recognise a new SDHC card reader.

On two of the USB ports I am told the USB device is malfunctioning. A third USB port attempts to install a mass storage device, then fails, while the fourth port tries to install a human interface device, and fails.

Meanwhile all ports recognise the old SD-only card reader I was using, and my external hard drive.

I've installed SP3, but this hasn't changed matters. On investigating through Device Manager I see 'Error 10 - device cannot start.' Obviously, I've tried rebooting, using different leads, using an SD card in the new reader - it doesn't work with either SD or SDHC cards, nor with no card inserted at all (the old reader shows up four drives on Explorer, all empty, in this circumstance).

The new card reader does work on my Linux netbook, and on Win XP and Win 7 machines in my local computer shop.

Any ideas? I've trawled the web but nothing I've found seems to solve the problem.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Chances are XP Pro is not recognising the card reader as SDHC has a minimum of 4gig capacity. I have seen on other forums that there is a hotfix around the problem, but for the love of e can't remeber which ones

Reaction score
I take it it is an external device?

Which ports are you plugging it into?

Front or rear?

Try reversing ports!

Just guessing really but had issues similar to this with other external USB hardware
Swapping ports and alike fixed it

Reaction score
>I take it it is an external device?
Yes, it's an external reader.

Swapping ports only changes the error messages - front ones don't recognise at all, rear ones recognise and won't install.

The hotfix won't install as I already has SP3, which is *supposed* to solve the problem, and which postdates the hotfixes.

So I'm still mystified! I'm quite used to having to swap ports or reboot to get 'plug and play' to do what it says on the tin, but never before have I had hardware completely fail to work with the PC.

So I now have to boot up the Linux notebook, read the card on to that, load the files to an external hard drive, plug the external hard drive into the windows PC, and copy them to file. Not really what I bought a card reader for - particularly since the notebook has an internal card reader!

Reaction score
Sorry did you mention it worked on another machine?

If yes then im at a loss

If no then I would suggest it faulty

So cant give you another reason im logged at present reading emails

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Typically, the issues I see like this are from version incompatibilities. Newer peripheral/older socket. Doesn't work that way very well. However, Linux kills that idea.

So we look toward the software. Update all drivers? What kind of notebook, what kind of hardware, what model reader?

Check BIOS settings to see if there is any other way to configure the USB ports. High Speed is some times an option depending on the manufacturer. It is a serial connection and therefore subject to configuration.

But, in any case, I would start with new drivers. Hell, try old drivers. Try ones that are older. Worked for me once.

Ask a Question