Video Card

Reaction score
How do I find out if my desktop can have an additional video/graphics card.

It currently has an onboard graphics card, but I am wanting to have 2 sepearate screens which I presume requires an additional card.

Here are my system specs from the Belarc advisor

Operating System new – server roles
Windows Vista Home Premium (build 6000)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Installed: 03/12/2011 12:31:27

Processor
2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded

USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details)
Last Used
Generic USB CF Reader -- drive 3, s/n 2004888, rev 1.01 03/01/2012 12:00:11
Generic USB MS Reader -- drive 5, s/n 2004888, rev 1.03 03/01/2012 12:00:11
Generic USB SD Reader -- drive 2, s/n 2004888, rev 1.00 03/01/2012 12:00:11
Generic USB SM Reader -- drive 4, s/n 2004888, rev 1.02 03/01/2012 12:00:11
Seagate FreeAgentDesktop -- drive 1, s/n 5QD42HY6, rev 100F 03/01/2012 12:00:07
Generic Storage Device, s/n 0810185658330f, rev 0.00 30/12/2011 21:38:10*
Dell USB Mass Storage, rev 200 30/12/2011 19:04:31*
ZTE MMC Storage, rev 2.31 12/12/2011 18:52:07*

System Model
PACKARD BELL BV ISTART 2380 PB82105101
System Serial Number: 128936150306
Chassis Serial Number: 50424E
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit board
Board: Packard Bell BV M2NS-NVM 1.XX
Serial Number: 50424E
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD M2NS-NVM 0206 03/05/2007

Drives
901.60 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
680.42 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device [Optical drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] (1.97 GB) -- drive 2
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Seagate FreeAgentDesktop USB Device [Hard drive] (750.15 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5QD42HY6
ST316021 2AS SCSI Disk Device (160.04 GB) -- drive 0

IDE Controllers
IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Display
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 [Display adapter]
Hanns.G HW173 [Monitor] (17.2"vis, s/n 711NH3CY03675, March 2007)

Multimedia
Multimedia Audio Controller
Realtek High Definition Audio

Bus Adapters
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
NVIDIA MCP61 Serial ATA Controller
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

Last edited:
Reaction score
the most simple way would be to have a look inside if its not sealed.

You could also look through your manual at the motherboard section and see if it has a PCI-E slot or an AGP slot integrated.

Alternatively look online for your model and any info relating too it

Reaction score
gedc0041l.jpg
gedc0041l.jpg
gedc0041l.jpg

thats the view of the inside of my PC - I dont really know what im looking for inside

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Looking at the picture, the long black slot that is partially hidden by the black cable is a pci-e x16 slot. That means all you need to do is get a low end graphics card with two output ports and you're good to go

Also whilst you are at it i'd give everything a good blast out with a can of compressed air, it's looking a bit clogged up in there

Reaction score
:D and have a good blast at the CPU fan as it looks like the fins of the heat exchanger are clogged with dust which could lead to overheating the CPU. A good tip is to take the side panel off once in six months and give it a blast with compressed air can to keep it clear of dust and debris.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'll be honest, looking at the rest of the spec, i'd guess thats an AGP socket. But i'm not 100%....

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I'll be honest, looking at the rest of the spec, i'd guess thats an AGP socket. But i'm not 100%....

That was my initial thought but it looks like there is a pci-e x4 slot in that picture, unless i am mistaken??

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yeah good spot actually, you could be right, i didn't even look at the rest of the slots! :lol:

Reaction score
Good jobs chaps.

Oh and I use a vacuum cleaner. I don't want crap goin all over me carpet and breathing it all in ;)

Reaction score
it looks worse on the pic than what it does when I take the cover off lol and thanks for your help.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good jobs chaps.

Oh and I use a vacuum cleaner. I don't want crap goin all over me carpet and breathing it all in ;)

'kin A :thumb:

What's the point of redistributing crap?

Vacum cleaner all the way, nozzle and brush attachments.

Somehow compressed air in a spray can reminds me of tinned London Fog, lol ;)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
'kin A :thumb:

What's the point of redistributing crap?

Vacum cleaner all the way, nozzle and brush attachments.

Somehow compressed air in a spray can reminds me of tinned London Fog, lol ;)

A vaccuum cleaner actually creates a static charge. Which as most of you all should know, will do damage to many of the circuitry chips in the machine. The ideal choice for dust removal is compressed air. Canned air is the first choice due to a controlled component being in the can. An air compressor will work well but typically causes moisture to be sprayed out along with the air stream. Be sure to use moisture removal devices when using a compressor. Or some extra drying time. FYI.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A vaccuum cleaner actually creates a static charge. Which as most of you all should know, will do damage to many of the circuitry chips in the machine. The ideal choice for dust removal is compressed air. Canned air is the first choice due to a controlled component being in the can. An air compressor will work well but typically causes moisture to be sprayed out along with the air stream. Be sure to use moisture removal devices when using a compressor. Or some extra drying time. FYI.

Sorry old chap, thoroughly disagree. Vacum cleaners can create a static charge it is true but in 28 years of cleaning electronic devices, including computers, I have yet to damage anything electronic with static.

Same goes for electronics devices such as IC's which are sensitive to static, all those wrist straps are pretty much a waste of time, just briefly ground oneself to an earthed device such as a radiator or radiator pipe and you'll discharge yourself sufficiently to work with static-sensitive devices.

I've been repairing electronic devices to component level since '84 and have yet to destroy anything with static. Cans of compressed air cost money and create waste with the empty can, all a vacum cleaner uses is a smidgen of electricity.

And the only time I've known my body to generate significant static was after walking on a nylon carpet wearing synthetic footwear soles, that can give a person a nasty surprise sometimes, was particularly a problem at a College I used to visit in Islington.

I have experienced a computer damaged by static electricity once, took out an internal modem and the whole pci bus. The telephone line was hit by lightning, which I would guess carries a tad more static than which a vacum cleaner nozzle can generate.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Gotta agree with the above, i use a can of air and a hoover, well Dyson to be pedantic. Never caused any issue. Just gotta be careful. :)

Reaction score
Does any one know how to get the dust off the fan blades as I have tried the compressed air and the vacuum cleaner (Hoover is a trade mark:lol:) or will have to dismantle them. I wouldn't worry but I have pretty blue lights in the fans which are getting dimmer and I do like my blue lights as it reminds the two's and blues I used to drive.:lol::thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Does any one know how to get the dust off the fan blades as I have tried the compressed air and the vacuum cleaner (Hoover is a trade mark:lol:) or will have to dismantle them. I wouldn't worry but I have pretty blue lights in the fans which are getting dimmer and I do like my blue lights as it reminds the two's and blues I used to drive.:lol::thumb:

A brush. Suppliers make cleaning brushes in different sizes that pretty much resemble a paint brush so a 1" paint brush used solely for cleaning will do the job. Used in tandem with a vacum cleaner you can get the fan blades clean.

Of course if you want to clean both sides of the blades you'll probably have to temporarily remove the fan.

Ask a Question