Upgrade Progress

Reaction score
Guys, and update on the upgrade in progress. After endless trawling about the internet, and thanks to the advice of some forum members, I have parted with my hard-earned cash and ordered all the parts for my upgrade. I have decided on the following bits:

1. Asus A8N SLI Deluxe nForce4 PCI-Express Mobo
2. Leadtek WinFast PX6600GT-TDH SLI GFX card
3. Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester
4. 1GB (2x512MB pair) dual-channel Corsair Value PC3200 DDR SDRAM
5. Alpine 7105H LCD Aluminium case with 400W PSU

It's cost me £80 more than my budget of £500 but I reckon I should have a system that will be future-proof for the next 18 months - 2 years. My decisions were based on:

1. The S939 Mobo is well expandable, with 4 PCIX slots and 3 PCI slots, and will be able to take Ath64 FX chips once they get cheaper. It is massively clockable too, with a multi-function BIOS and lots of protection to stop me blowing it all up. PCIX is the future as well, as I think the card makers will focus on PCI at the expense of AGP.

2. This seems to be the fastest 6600 card, and it's price is on a par with the others. The SLI compliance gives me a possible cheaper upgrade option if SLI takes off.

The only things worrying me are the memory - I've gone cheaper to keep the overall cost down, because I really don't think the RAM speed will hold my system back. All the Corsair stuff is clockable too, so I can push it a bit without risking alot of money.

Question: Given the above system, running with 2 HDDs and two cooing fans, but no other PCI cards, do you reckon the 400W PSU will suffice. I used the power calculator below:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

and it came up with 303W, so I am hoping the 400W will do.

The bits should arrive throughout next week, so I will update once construction is complete!

Cheers!

Reaction score
BigJock2005 said:
Question: Given the above system, running with 2 HDDs and two cooing fans, but no other PCI cards, do you reckon the 400W PSU will suffice. I used the power calculator below:

Cheers!

Answer to that i think, is simply yes it should be enough for that system :)

Nice system btw ... :)

Let us know how you get on ... and benchmark it lol :p

hehe

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
400W should be enough for your machine.
and with the Memory dont sweat it, corsair is good stuff (even value ram)
and SLI will come in handy once the price of 6600GTs drop in the future.

Good luck on your system build, i would like to see some benckmarks as well:)

Reaction score
I use Both 03 and 05 3D marks :) lol

And Aquamark ... use them for now i would say

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i never used aquamark before, although i suggest 3Dmark 03 and 05 :)

Reaction score
BigJock which suppliers are you getting all your components from?

Links appriciated if off the web.

Reaction score
Hmm just done a benchmark on my system. Taking into account the mark is standard and none of the hardware is clocked i'm not sure that the score is decent enuff to publish, but hey wot are numbers between fellow pc enthusiasts ;) One thing I did notice in 3D Mark is the false info it is giving me. For instance the Socket designation is incorrect. Reporting it as SK754 instead of 939. Weird..

Let me knw wot y'll think.

BM used was 3Dmark 2005

Score was 4555

Reaction score
better then mine lol i benchmarked horrible for some reason :-X 3d mark 03 8,085 and 05 i got 3,167 kinda odd im gonna bench 05 again to see if it gets better and this is all unclocked. all stock and aquamark 37,847

Reaction score
Good choices BigJock:thumb: Benchmarking can be fun, but I usually use something basic like Fraps or (if included, like in UT) a games own benchmarker and go by framerates during actual gameplay with different settings turned on or off. It's mostly to stop myself losing sleep if I find someone with a less powerful rig, but a 3D mark that's 1 better than mine:(.

(btw. it's better to spend a little more on a top end 400W PSU that actually delivers 400W, than go for a cheapo 500W PSU that may only be delivering 400W or less half of the time. Either way 400W is plenty unless you start moving into SLii country)

Reaction score
OK jst ran 3dmark '03

Standard settings no AA 1024

Mark was 10486

Aquamark measurement 1

I also did a X2 The Threat measurement that gave me a score in FPS of 79fps

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
CSUnited14 said:
better then mine lol i benchmarked horrible for some reason :-X 3d mark 03 8,085 and 05 i got 3,167 kinda odd im gonna bench 05 again to see if it gets better and this is all unclocked. all stock and aquamark 37,847
actually thats about right :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
my scores are somewhere in the general forum...
i got about 11,--- on 3Dmark 03
in 3Dmark 05 5,----
dont remeber the exact.... ill check llater :)

Reaction score
The bits should arrive this week, as most of the deliveries were 1-3 days, and I'm guessing they'll ship Tuesday. I will benchmark it and report.

Dillinja - you asked about the suppliers, so here they are. Through a combination of net trawling and Froogle (have you tried this? It doesn't just give good prices, but it throws up online suppliers you might not know about - go to Google and click the "Froogle" tab).

1. Motherboard & GFX card from www.overclock.co.uk Mobo £113.59 and GFX 129.49 (all inc VAT)

2. RAM and CPU from www.overclockers.co.uk (note that extra "s"!!!) 1GB Corsair Value £69.27 and Ath64 3500+ winchester 176.19 (I had trouble finding ANY of these CPU's in stock, and I never order "expected" products).

3. Aluminium Apline case inc. 400W PSU from www.xcase.co.uk £55 + vat + delivery.

Total = £563.60 (I budgeted £500, so only a bit over!)

These were the *best* prices/availability I could find. They had the exact product I wanted at the best price. I haven't received anything yet, and I will let everyone know ASAP if I have any problems!!

Some others you might want to try include:
novatech.co.uk, aria.co.uk, microdirect.co.uk, gladiatorcomputers.com, cclonline.com, rlsupplies.co.uk, specialtech.co.uk

Cheers!

Ask a Question