Opinions on Upgrading

Reaction score
New to this forum, so hello to everyone.

Would anyone be kind enough to give me their fiver's worth on my imminent upgrade please? I can't believe how difficult it's been deciding between the different Mobos, CPUs, RAM and GFX for a good upgrade. After weeks of trawling the web and magazine's I've decided on the following options, and need to make up my mind. Bear in mind I want to really overclock this bassa.

1. Mobo: ABIT AN8 (Sock.939, PCI-X) with 3rd eye LCD versus MSI K8N Diamond SLI
2. CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester versus 3200+
3. RAM: OCZ Gold series Rev.3 PC3200 versus Corsair XMS3200Pro (2x512MB in either case)
4. GFX: Gigabyte NX66T128D nVidia 6600GT (decided on that one)

I like the ABIT mobo because the 3rd eye LCD gives you a running CPU/RAM speed temp etc, all selectable with buttons, but the MSI board is SLI-compliant and has better sound.

The CPU is just a price/performance thing. My next upgrade here will prob be to an FX55. But is the 3200+ as "overclockable" as the 3500+ Winch?

Just don't know about the RAM, but everyone seems to think the OCZ performs great even when extremely overclocked.

The GFX card seems to get no bad reviews, and I can get one for around £120. It's also SLI compliant if that really takes off I could double it up in 12-18 months.

Do you guys reckon a 400W PSU would suffice here, and would you recommend extra after-market cooling?

Any comments appreciated!! Thanks!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'd go with the K8N Dimond board, 3500+ Winchester and the Corsair XMS Pro memory. I've read quit abit about all them and have not seen anything bad with them. I've not seen much about the Abit board, and I think the OCZ memory is abit overpriced to be honest. The 3500+ processor is highly regarded by all, its a definate step up from the 3200+ and is extremely fast.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd go with the MSI board it seems to have good overclocking potential, definatley go with the 3500 winchester in reviews it reaches over 2.4Ghz overclocked, the ram both seem to be good either would be ok.

i'd go for a watercooling setup if your going to be really pushing the CPU and a good quality 450W+ PSU

Reaction score
Cheers guys, I think the MSI board is winning - even though it's £50 dearer - it's more future-proof with the extra PCI-X slots. I'm not convinced that SLI will win out over high-performance single card PCI-X cards though, but it's an extra option. I think the 3500+ is done... just the RAM to decide on. The OCZ is dearer (it's the flashy gold packaging) but it gets rave reviews about performing well at higher speeds with lower voltages.

I fancy water cooling, but maybe a bit ambitious for me at the same time - do any of you guys use a water cooling kit? The price would be offset as I could save a few quid on the processor by getting an OEM yipee.

Reaction score
BigJock2005 said:
New to this forum, so hello to everyone.

1. Mobo: ABIT AN8 (Sock.939, PCI-X) with 3rd eye LCD versus MSI K8N Diamond SLI
2. CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester versus 3200+
3. RAM: OCZ Gold series Rev.3 PC3200 versus Corsair XMS3200Pro (2x512MB in either case)
4. GFX: Gigabyte NX66T128D nVidia 6600GT (decided on that one)

I like the ABIT mobo because the 3rd eye LCD gives you a running CPU/RAM speed temp etc, all selectable with buttons, but the MSI board is SLI-compliant and has better sound.

The CPU is just a price/performance thing. My next upgrade here will prob be to an FX55. But is the 3200+ as "overclockable" as the 3500+ Winch?

Just don't know about the RAM, but everyone seems to think the OCZ performs great even when extremely overclocked.

The GFX card seems to get no bad reviews, and I can get one for around £120. It's also SLI compliant if that really takes off I could double it up in 12-18 months.

Do you guys reckon a 400W PSU would suffice here, and would you recommend extra after-market cooling?

Any comments appreciated!! Thanks!

I'd go for the MSI mobo (sound is particularly good) or even consider the DFI Lan Party (best overclocker and good sound)

Winchester core CPU's are very overclockable - either the 3200 or 3500 would be a good choice.

Both RAMs are good too, but CORSAIR Value select has been shown to be just as good as 'top end' sticks in some games and apps. Unless you are really into benchmarking, I would consider saving a few pennies there.

In fact, overall, you would see the best bange for your bucks by going for cheaper ram and chip and investing the money saved in a higher end video card. Good mobo and vid are the key areas for performance improvement - that's where to invest most. RAM and CPU improvements are marginal at the level your considering.

:thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
For OCing id go with OCZ, i belive they have looser timings allowing yout to get a higher OC.
If your OCing consider watercooling as you CPU will get pretty hot (go with the 3500+)
as for the graphis cards im not too sure on the Gigabyte version, i recomend BFG techs version as it is already OCed (but that up to you)
For the Mobo go for MSI, since it supports SLI that board will stay with you for a long while.
PSU a Antec 420W should suffice
Theres my opinion, enjoy :)
to 1nterger- i think that the CPU is just as important as a graphics card, but thats proby just me :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Bigjock

The MSI Mobo looks good and the 3500 Winchester chip, but for the memory i would go for the Corsair xms3200 cause thats what i got in my machine and it is superbly fast, and for the graphics card i can recommend the leadtek winfast 6600gt because its a faster card than the Gigabyte and comes with its own overclocking utility, and i have one of these aswell...

But whatever Components you end up going for your gonna get a very fast machine anyway...

Happy Building....;)

Reaction score
Alf said:
to 1nterger- i think that the CPU is just as important as a graphics card, but thats proby just me :D

Yup I agree that a good CPU is (of course) important, but the two under consideration in this thread are the 3200 and 3500. My point is that the additional performance gain from the 3500 over the 3200 will be marginal (indeed a 3200 will clock past a 3500). But going for a better vid will have a greater performance boost.

Interested to hear others' views on this

Reaction score
Well anything about hardware and parts has been said all I can do is second it. Hmm, thogh I agree with what was said earlier, MOBO, Processor, and Video card are what really count for gaming and stuff, as far as memory goes( I tend to think some of the "High end" cards are over rated-- I personally think the differences or so mininmal, if it works it works. Even though I wated for a Kingston 2x512 pack to go onsale. As far as cooling-- I'm soo friggin scared of water cooling. I would suggest a kit if you've never dealt with it before. At least that will come with very reliable instructions, and you can add parts to it later.

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for all the comments. The one that jumps out is the comment about the memory - I reckon you're bang on there. Going for Corsair Value memory could save me about £100, which is a BIG chunk of the overall build cost.

Re the GFX - the Gigabyte card was rated "Best Value" according to tomshardware, but the Leadtek was the fastest 6600 card of all, as you say it's already overclocked to 1120MHz and it came in just behind a standard 6800GT. But checking prices again, the Leadtek is about the same price now, so I think I will go for one of these - cheers crazylegs!

As for the watercooling, I've got a shock at the cost, so I'm gonna back off and go with a 2x120mm fan Thermalright air cooler - that should do the job.

Think I will settle on the MSI board, the 3500+ Winchester, the Corsair Value+ RAM and the Leadtech.

I'll let you know if and when I get the thing working.

Thanks again.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No problem BigJock do let the members on the forum know how its running when youv'e built your machine won't you, as we are all very interested to hear the fruits of our labour have paid off....and that we have helped where and when needed....:thumb:

Also do please stick around and enjoy the general chit chat and banter on the forum...as you have seen we don't bite...;)

Reaction score
BigJock2005 said:
Guys, thanks for all the comments. The one that jumps out is the comment about the memory - I reckon you're bang on there. Going for Corsair Value memory could save me about £100, which is a BIG chunk of the overall build cost.

Re the GFX - the Gigabyte card was rated "Best Value" according to tomshardware, but the Leadtek was the fastest 6600 card of all, as you say it's already overclocked to 1120MHz and it came in just behind a standard 6800GT. But checking prices again, the Leadtek is about the same price now, so I think I will go for one of these - cheers crazylegs!

As for the watercooling, I've got a shock at the cost, so I'm gonna back off and go with a 2x120mm fan Thermalright air cooler - that should do the job.

Think I will settle on the MSI board, the 3500+ Winchester, the Corsair Value+ RAM and the Leadtech.

I'll let you know if and when I get the thing working.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you'll have a good system m8 - good luck with the build!:thumb:

Ask a Question