help i am a novice lol

Reaction score
When it comes to computer parts and what to do with my computer i get completely confused about every thing!

At the moment i have a pretty old computer(4 or so years now!) and i want to eiver get a new one (more money) or just update the current one i've got....

i found a 'deal' with everything i need (more RAM, faste proccesor and new MOBO) as shown below

Upgrade Kit AMD 64 3500+ (S939), Motherboard, 1024MB DUAL RAM, CPU Fan

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz Socket 939, 512KB cache, BOXED

Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Kit w/two matched CMX512-3200C2 DIMMs

Abit AV8 Mainboard for S939 KT800PRO,SATA,GbLAN,ATX,Dual-CH DDR

basically i want it to play games to a good and not embarrassing standard lol

I will obviously have to buy a new GFX card and do away with my old 64 one LOL!

and i take it i can hook up my MOBO with all the usb/ethernet/fireports, disk drives ect allready installed.

also if i get new RAM will i have to install XP again and little things like that ??

I will quite like a new case aswell... nothing fancy just for a change as it sits on my desk!

Reaction score
at the moment it is cheaper for me to upgrade so i would rather do that....

is the motherboard AGP or PCI slot??

and what GFX card could you suggest for around £200? (which is useable with the MOBO) state the obvious:p

lol

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the abit AV8 is AGP and good graphics cards would be a plain old 6800 or a 6600 GT/ultra i'd stick with the 6600 GT or ultra i cant remember which is best but someone will say

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
You will not have to re-install XP if you install new RAM, or even add more RAM to your System.

Reaction score
i THINK i'm taking out the old RAM in and completely replacing it with new sticks....

is xp installed to the RAM then? :S

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
RAM = Random Access Memory. It stores data only on a temporary basis. When you power your machine down, it loses all stored information.

Basically - install new RAM, no need to re-install OS; replace motherboard, re-install XP.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
XP, along with all of your other programs is stored on your Hard drive (secondary memory), and is simply run on your RAM (primary memory) when your system is powered on.

Reaction score
You wouldnt half to reinstall os if you get new mobo do you??? if my memory serves me correct you dont half to :p since i changed hard drives in my old computer and no problems at all :D

Reaction score
oh and by the way i would recommend the msi nx6600gt comes with games that are decent bundle package is awesome check it out.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
CSUnited14 said:
You wouldnt half to reinstall os if you get new mobo do you??? if my memory serves me correct you dont half to :p since i changed hard drives in my old computer and no problems at all :D

99% of the time, yes, you do have to do a fresh install.

Motherboard drivers will form part of your Operating System.

I have heard of people being lucky when changing out motherboards, not having to do a fresh install, but it's rare.

I was looking at the MSI 6600GT, comes with a free Riddick Game for around £118.00. 800Mhz & 400Mhz speeds. Seems good to me and it looks pretty too.

Do you have one of those then, CSUnited14?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I have performed a few mobo swap-outs where my OS didn't have to be re-installed, but would get the odd error.
It is always adviseable to perform a fresh install when changing a mobo though, as the mobo drivers are often unique for different mobo's.

Reaction score
cheers..

what case would you reccomend? i liked the one cache man reviewed a while back ( the EZ COOL )

is that good for my needs?

is this GFX card any good ? it seems good :)

Gainward Ultra 1960 Goes Like Hell (6626) GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-022-GW)

THNX

Reaction score
If your upgrading a 4 year old machine with high end parts, get a new PSU or you'll blow the thing up. Sorry if thats been mentioned already...

Reaction score
most cases come with a PSU i think....i think the EZ cool does... is that a good PSU for my needs?

and i want to spend £200 on a GFX card is the gainward ( above ) the one to get?

Reaction score
Aim for at least 400w PSU - that should power everything.

Just a question - what are you NOT upgrading?!

Reaction score
:S I HAVE NO IDEA!! lol

works out £100 cheaper :) and i egt exactly what i want and i can use some old parts llike firewire ect and my discdrives.

spose i could sell my old parts lol for a LITTLE profit

Reaction score
duuude.... get a TOTALLY new machine and flog your one at the moment WHOLE as a fully complete system and try and get a hundred quid for it...

Reaction score
we shall see...

any recomendations for a AGP GFX card for £200 or under, and a decent 'cheap' case like the EZ cool..(seeing as i dont buy a new one chris:p )

always ebay for cases at CHEAP prices :) so whatever case you recomend could be a maybe ;)

Reaction score
Chris that's what i have said to him to just get a new system ... stubburn is G-MAN :p lol hehe

Ask a Question