Windows 7 Unidentified Network

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my computer and decided it was the time to move from windows x to windows 7.

Everytime i boot up my computer it connects to my home network but also to an unidentified network and there is an ! on my network icon in the task bar. When i run ipconfig there are 2 gateway addresses, the first is 0.0.0.0 which obviously doesnt work, the second is the correct one but i am unable to get onto my network or the internet.

The only way i can connect properly is to load the network properties and disable my network card and then enable it and it connects fine. I haven't tried running ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew but guess that will probably work.

My question is does anyone have a perminant solution to this as it is starting to get quite annoying.

Thanks

Reaction score
I had a similar issue about 6 months ago and i thought i was being attacked but it turned out to be my router. I just reinstalled the router and the problem went away. Have you tried connecting it anywhere else ?. Also, you might play with network settings like private and public connections to see does it rectify it for you. My mate had problems with his windows 7 because it was set up wrongly for his apartment. I'm sure somebody here will sort it out for you soon enough.

Reaction score
Hi,

You can also try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Bypass the router and connect to cable modem directly for a test. Do you need disable Local Area Connection now? If so, please let me know. Otherwise, please upgrade the router firmware and then connect to router again.

2. Temporarily turn off firewall on the machine and router (If it has).

3. Upgrade the NIC driver.

4. Restart the computer to Safe Mode with Networking to check the result.

5. Configure the connection to obtain an IP address automatically

=======================================

a. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) to Start Search bar and press "Enter".

b. Right-click the network connection and click "Properties".

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Click to highlight "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)" and click "Properties".

d. Check "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

e. Click "OK".

f. Click to highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click "Properties".

g. Check "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

h. Click "OK".

i. Reboot the computer.

Regards
Chris

Please reply at your convenince.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had read this solutions and it works for me.

Go to Program Files folder(x86) and look for the folder named Bonjour.If its there, Restart you PC into safe mode and go that folder again and rename the bonjour folder to what ever you want but for easy used. just rename it bonjour.old and then restart you PC again into normal mode and hopefully the unidentified network is gone. and if is delete the folder named bonjor.old. Hope it works. or if not just re install again your router.

Thanks

Jason

Ask a Question