Windows XP Networking - mshome is not accessible

Reaction score
I have an old xp network with two computers to which I've added a w7 notebook and a w8 computer used as a TV. Suddenly the netowrk has started to play up. My main xp computer is no longer able to view what is on mshome, (the Windows Microsoft Network name) and can't access any other computer. But the other xp can still access the main xp computer.
I use the w7 computer to back up data - by syncing between it and the main xp. Now that the xp doesn't acknowledge it has a network, even though the other xp can see it, my syncing doesn't work. The w7 can't see the main xp any more. I've recreated the network twice on the main xp to no avail.
All four computers can still access the internet, which is available thru a gateway and can access the printers which are also on the network. The network is ethernet. So the real problem for me is file sharing - or syncing to maintain backups. I'm using USB sticks at present, which is a pain.
The combination of different windows systems was never perfect and I had to accept a less than ideal performance but it did what was necessary in my circumstances. Now that it doesn't work I don't mind starting from scratch, if necessary. I think my internet provision may be about to change (from one satellite service to another, which may involve a change of hardware) so I'd like to have everything working before that happens. Can anyone help me?

Ask a Question