Unable To Open Attachments

bru82162

After giving up for a while I am once again attempting to open WinMail e-mail
attachments. What I did today was uninstall IE8 (thanks for the procedure).
Once this completed, the machine rebooted to save changes. I then opend IE
and clicked "help" to check the verion (7). So far so good. Then I went back
to WinMail and tried opening an attachment. Still unable to open a .jpeg,
..doc, .pdf, etc. Right click, "save to" funtion doesn't work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

PA Bear [MS MVP]

[Crosspost to IE General]

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
and/or uninstalled IE8?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) properly
should resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the
first place if IE8 was installed properly. cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...er.general/browse_frm/thread/a17d79493eac253d

Peter Foldes

What the heck is going on tonight with all these multiposts. These posts are
repeated also in the WM newsgroup

--
Peter

PA Bear said:
[Crosspost to IE General]

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
and/or uninstalled IE8?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) properly
should resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the
first place if IE8 was installed properly. cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...er.general/browse_frm/thread/a17d79493eac253d
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

After giving up for a while I am once again attempting to open WinMail
e-mail attachments. What I did today was uninstall IE8 (thanks for the
procedure). Once this completed, the machine rebooted to save changes. I
then opend IE and clicked "help" to check the verion (7). So far so good.
Then I went back to WinMail and tried opening an attachment. Still unable
to open a .jpeg, .doc, .pdf, etc. Right click, "save to" funtion doesn't
work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Any of my posts, Peter?

FWIW, a handful of older posts (28 June - 1 July) redownloaded into just
about all of my subscribed MS newsgroups earlier today. I figured the
servers were suffering from /agita/ (possibly in reaction to Sinofsky's
promotion <eg>).

PA Bear said:
[Crosspost to IE General]

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
Were any of these applications running in the background when you
installed
[...]

Anti-virus is AVG. This problem predates AVG as the original anti-virus was
Norton (free subscription with PC purchase). AVG components currently enabled
are: virus, spyware, e-mail, ID, link scanner and resident shield. MIcrosoft
Ddefender on top of that.

The applications were active while IE8 was uninstalled.

This is a crazy problem one would never expect with a new machine.

Thanks,
Bruce

PA Bear said:
[...]

Assuming you never purchased the Norton application, had the Norton
free-trial already expired when you installed AVG (Free)?

Have you uninstalled the Norton free-trial and did you then download & run
the Norton Removal Tool *before* you installed AVG?

Repost (need answer, pls):

PA Bear said:
[...]

...winston

PABear...
I believe Peter is referring to this...appearing in a variety of groups

From: "Pella" <[email protected]>
Subject: seksi djevojka
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.internet.mail
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:54:03 -0700

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

bru82162 wrote:
After giving up for a while I am once again attempting to open WinMail
e-mail attachments. What I did today was uninstall IE8 (thanks for the
procedure). Once this completed, the machine rebooted to save changes. I
then opend IE and clicked "help" to check the verion (7). So far so
good.
Then I went back to WinMail and tried opening an attachment. Still
unable
to open a .jpeg, .doc, .pdf, etc. Right click, "save to" funtion doesn't
work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

Robert Aldwinckle

PA Bear said:
FWIW, a handful of older posts (28 June - 1 July) redownloaded into just
about all of my subscribed MS newsgroups earlier today. I figured the
servers were suffering from /agita/ (possibly in reaction to Sinofsky's
promotion <eg>).

More like one USENET node was being blocked and is now unblocked? <eg>

Notice the Xref: numbers on the "redownloaded" posts?
Also, I suppose we could check the Path: headers for more specific
confirmation of the idea. ; )

Yup. newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de Use telnet to show:

xhdr Date 277500-277550

xhdr Path 277500-277550

QED. ; )

FYI

Robert
---

Peter Foldes

Winston

No I am not referring to what you posted

I am saying that the OP (bru82162) posted to the WM newsgroup at 7:21PM and then PA
Bear crossposted the exact same post from the OE newsgroup to the WM group at 9:01PM
under the OP's original post in the same thread in the WM newsgroup

Original post by the OP (bru82162) 7:21PM in the WM newsgroup (Thread started by the
OP)

PA Bear answering to the OP(bru82162) in WM with a crosspost from the OE to the WM
newsgroup at 9:01PM repeating exactly the OP's original post that was posted in the
WM group and under the same thread

--
Peter

From: "Pella" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.internet.mail
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:54:03 -0700

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

bru82162 wrote:
After giving up for a while I am once again attempting to open WinMail
e-mail attachments. What I did today was uninstall IE8 (thanks for the
procedure). Once this completed, the machine rebooted to save changes. I
then opend IE and clicked "help" to check the verion (7). So far so good.
Then I went back to WinMail and tried opening an attachment. Still unable
to open a .jpeg, .doc, .pdf, etc. Right click, "save to" funtion doesn't
work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

PA Bear [MS MVP]

No, I crossposted from WM to OE, Peter. <wink>

From: "Pella" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.internet.mail
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:54:03 -0700
microsoft.public.internet.mail:139233 --
...winston
ms-mvp mail

promotion <eg>). Peter Foldes wrote:
What the heck is going on tonight with all these multiposts. These
posts
are repeated also in the WM newsgroup

[Crosspost to IE General]

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if
any)?
Were any of these applications running in the background when you
installed and/or uninstalled IE8?

(e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
it)?

bru82162 wrote:
After giving up for a while I am once again attempting to open
WinMail
e-mail attachments. What I did today was uninstall IE8 (thanks for
the
procedure). Once this completed, the machine rebooted to save
changes.
I then opend IE and clicked "help" to check the verion (7). So far so
good. Then I went back to WinMail and tried opening an attachment.
Still unable to open a .jpeg, .doc, .pdf, etc. Right click, "save to"
funtion doesn't work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Doubtful, yet those posts are still appearing. [Of course the team
responsible for removing spam DOES NOT WORK ON WEEKENDS and the spammers
know this!]

From: "Pella" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.internet.mail
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:54:03 -0700

bru82162 wrote:
After giving up for a while I am once again attempting to open WinMail
e-mail attachments. What I did today was uninstall IE8 (thanks for the
procedure). Once this completed, the machine rebooted to save changes.
then opend IE and clicked "help" to check the verion (7). So far so
good.
Then I went back to WinMail and tried opening an attachment. Still
unable
to open a .jpeg, .doc, .pdf, etc. Right click, "save to" funtion
doesn't
work either.

Any help is appreciated.

Bruce

...winston

Thanks Peter...
Looks like we finally exited from that confusing maze.
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

From: "Pella" <[email protected]>