Trying to install new motherboard and xp

Reaction score
I have just installed a new motherboard and cpu, (bundle). Its a Foxconn socket 939 with a 3.7GHz Athalon 64 CPU. Firstly it has got 4 DIMM slots so i added the 2 DDR400 512 MB i had in the old one, but it only seems to flash up properly when using one??? Now comes the really wierd thing. When i tryed to start it with my old hard drives with XP installed it came up as OS not installed, so i have tryed to re-install XP. It goes through the POST and then comes up with BOOT FROM CD. and the XP disc starts the install. It goes throught the user agreement (F8) and the the patition bits, with the format the hard drive, then it starts to install XP. After it has done this it says the computer needs to restart. Everything is normal up to there. When it does restart it does the normal things up to the BOOT FROM CD and instead of saying PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD it just starts the begining of the XP install again, and not the rest of the XP install. ONE BIG LOOP.
I thought it might be somthing in the BIOS but i checked it with my other computer and they seem to be the same.
Please can anyone give advice
confused.gif
frown.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
During the install, during the first reboot, enter the Bios and set the sytem to boot from the hard drive rather than the CD.

And are you quite sure about that Athlon CPU being 3.7Ghz?

Reaction score
retail packed amd athlon 64 3700+ SOCKET
939 CPU OEM
Heatsink and cpu fan
foxconn 6150k8ma-8krs socket 939
pci-express Motherboard
FEATURING:
package includes heatsink and fan
gigabit lan and 7.1 channel audio

Above is the exact details of the motherboard. I have tried to change for the computer to boot from hard drive but for some reason its always boots from cd even when there is no cd in the drive. Could i remove the CMOS battery to try and reset the bios?? i have reset the bios to default settings but this has not worked.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Resetting the Bios won't help.

It is impossible for the computer to boot from a CD if there are no CD's present.

Your Processor speed is 2.2Ghz.

Are you saving the Bios settings once you've set the Hard Disk as priority boot? (Press F10 and press Enter)

Reaction score
yep F10 to save the hard drive to boot from then it still goes straight to cd. I have just put back in the old mobo and cpu and tryed again it seems to be loading fine.Is there anything else in the bios that could cause it??? or is the mobo buggered

Reaction score
Who are they?
Where are they based?

ummmm

Bit of a confusing one.
Try put the hard drive on another ide channel or change it from slave to master etc...
You could try using a different drive ie dvd drive or cdrw drive.

you could try something that's worth a shot take out the xp cd once it's installed first time round (when u get to set up on which hardrive it'll restart the pc.) At this point take out the cd from your drive. Then once it gets into Windows put it back in the drive.

That's all my 23 hour no sleep mind can think of right now.
Good luck

Ask a Question