Today I learned...

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
TIL: Miniature faking

Miniature faking, also known as diorama effect or diorama illusion, is a process in which a photograph of a life-size location or object is made to look like a photograph of a miniature scale model. Blurring parts of the photo simulates the shallow depth of field normally encountered in close-up photography, making the scene seem much smaller than it actually is; the blurring can be done either optically when the photograph is taken, or by digital postprocessing. Many diorama effect photographs are taken from a high angle to simulate the effect of looking down on a miniature. Tilt–shift photography is also associated with miniature faking.

(HD; go full screen)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_gGAI6XdGjJwBQ50rFOjYw

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TIL.................

Tesla.JPG

The man was a true genius. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
TIL.................

View attachment 11212

The man was a true genius. :)

He was quite a wag too,

"5. ‘HE SHOOK THE POOP OUT OF MARK TWAIN’

One famous legend surrounding the eccentric Tesla was that he had an earthquake machine in his Manhattan laboratory that shook his building and nearly brought down the neighborhood during experiments.

Tesla’s device wasn’t actually an earthquake machine, Carlson said, but a high frequency oscillator. A piston set underneath a platform in the laboratory shook violently as it moved, another experiment in more efficient electricity.

It didn’t bring the block to ruins, Carlson said, but it did “shake the poop out of Mark Twain.” Twain was known for having digestive problems, so Tesla, who knew Twain through their gentlemen’s club, invited him over. He instructed Twain to stand on the platform while he flipped on the oscillator. After about 90 seconds, Twain jumped off the platform and ran for the facilities."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-nikola-tesla/

:lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TIL that Edmond Halley predicted the solar eclipse of 1715 to within 4 mins of the correct time - I was surprised that it could have even been explained at all at that time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_May_3,_1715

This eclipse is known as Halley's Eclipse, after Edmond Halley (1656–1742) who predicted this eclipse to within 4 minutes accuracy. Halley observed the eclipse from London where the city of London enjoyed 3 minutes 33 seconds of totality. He also drew a predictive map showing the path of totality across England. The original map was about 20 miles off the observed eclipse path, mainly due to his use of inaccurate lunar ephemeris. After the eclipse, he corrected the eclipse path, and added the path and description of the 1724 total solar eclipse.

Attachments

• Solar_eclipse_1715May03_Halley_map.png
    Solar_eclipse_1715May03_Halley_map.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 101

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
TIL --- that you can use human pee and breath to make 3D objects in space !!!!

Using human pee and breath, researchers think we can 3D print spanners in space

3D printing and recycling, or reusability, seem to be of key importance in the space industry, as earlier this year a small company managed to successfully launch its spacecraft using a 3D-printed rocket engine, while at the same time SpaceX's Falcon 9 rockets keep on making successful landings and relaunches.

Looks like you have missed the boat if you were building a 3D rocket to send to space Ian. :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TIL that running with or without shoes are completely different. :)

Seems that almost all who run without shoes land on the front (ball) of the foot on each step whereas almost all who do wear shoes land on the heel. :eek:

I used to do a bit of running and never even considered this. No-one THINKS about how they land on their feet, it just happens naturally and I find it odd that the wearing of shoes makes such a big difference. Seems that landing on the heel causes a sudden impact that travels straight up the leg and that ankle, knee and hip are adversely affected, possibly the reason why arthritis develops in these joints after many years. By landing on the middle or front of the foot, barefoot runners have almost no impact collision and are in the perfect position to push forward for the next step. Amazing. :eek:

A lot of African middle and long distance runners do go barefoot especially on the track where there should be no hazards and some even do it cross country and on roads where there may be. Shoes do, at least, give protection.

I'll have to give it a go. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
TIL that running with or without shoes are completely different. :)

Seems that almost all who run without shoes land on the front (ball) of the foot on each step whereas almost all who do wear shoes land on the heel. :eek:

I used to do a bit of running and never even considered this. No-one THINKS about how they land on their feet, it just happens naturally and I find it odd that the wearing of shoes makes such a big difference. Seems that landing on the heel causes a sudden impact that travels straight up the leg and that ankle, knee and hip are adversely affected, possibly the reason why arthritis develops in these joints after many years. By landing on the middle or front of the foot, barefoot runners have almost no impact collision and are in the perfect position to push forward for the next step. Amazing. :eek:

A lot of African middle and long distance runners do go barefoot especially on the track where there should be no hazards and some even do it cross country and on roads where there may be. Shoes do, at least, give protection.

I'll have to give it a go. :D

As part of a summer camp I did with the Wushu group we tried a running technique said to have its origins in south america.
Standing up straight you leant forward almost to the point of falling over, arms hanging loosely straight down at the side, weight all on the balls of your feet. Then you just set of running still keeping almost falling forward. There was no assistance from the hands or arms as you do in normal running. We did this for three miles every day and by the end of the week we were finding that we were less tired than if we used normal running techniques and our legs and other muscles did not ache as much.
It was certainly a strange way to run but once you had a bit of practice we found that we could run for further with less effort and less after effects.

:cool:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Today I learned my two Acer H277smidx monitors have speakers built in to them. Only had them around a year now.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TIL that charging your fancy, new electric car is not actually something new at all.

Electric Car.JPG

Wonder how far you would get on a single charge in those days.

:D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
According to THIS article you woud get 80 miles.

That's interesting. Not a lot different to what we get on "old fashioned" batteries 100 years later although some of the newer batteries, like Tesla's, can do a lot more.

Also it's odd that my picture is dated 1905 and Evan's is dated 1919 when it's clearly the same picture. :D

Ask a Question