Today I learned...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Are you saying you don't think most scientists know what they're talking about?! :eek:

Of course, I jest. :)

I am a great believer in scientific methodology and the need for absolute proof in science. So, I guess, that, perhaps, a few do know what they are talking about. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
TIL that nanobots have been used to successfully treat cancer in mice:

Researchers from Arizona State University and the National Center for Nanoscience and Technology of the Chinese Academy of Sciences injected nanobots made from a folded sheet of DNA into the bloodstream of mice. These targeted the blood vessels around cancerous tumours, injecting them with bloodclotting drugs to cut off their blood supply. According to the study, published in Nature Biotechnology, in February, the treatment was successful in shrinking the tumours and inhibiting their spread.

https://www.ft.com/content/57c9f432-de6d-11e7-a0d4-0944c5f49e46

Pretty impressive stuff! It would be amazing if cancer deaths become a thing of the past - I hope it happens during my lifetime.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
What a crap job :fool: (ba-dum tsssss)

How on earth was that a thing?! I can understand that women in big dresses may have needed... assistance... but surely these things are a lot easier for men? :confused:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TIL some facts about the word "Up"

UP

This two-letter word in English has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is UP.' It is listed in the dictionary as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election (if there is a tie, it is a toss UP) and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends, brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and fix UP the old car.

At other times, this little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is blocked UP..

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look UP the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1 /4 of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with (UP to) a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out, we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it soaks UP the earth. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP. One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now . . . My time is UP!

Oh ... One more thing: What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last thing you do at night?

U

P!

Did that one crack you UP?

Don't screw UP.. Send this on to everyone you look UP in your address book ... Or not ... it's UP to you.

Now I'll shut UP!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I had never thought about it before, but I guess 'up' must be quite a confusing word if you're learning English as a second language!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Amazing! That was a very interesting watch :nod: I like how they've used the same approach to diagnose TB too, seems very efficient.

If anyone is interested, you can adopt a 'Hero Rat' and help fund the work: https://www.apopo.org/en/adopt

I kinda want a pet rat now :D

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
29214920_10157213758052589_5612874420184940544_n.jpg

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It has a silky head of bright yellow scales, which the moth develops in adulthood, and its head has been described as orange-yellow in colouration, the body is white and the wings are brown or greyish.

Also an important detail - its genitalia is “comparatively smaller” than that of the Neopalpa neonata, its close relative.

:lol::lol::lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TIL why we have both "f" and "ph" in spellings where we pronounce it as "f".

Seems that just about all the words that use "ph" (physics, graph and lots more) originated from Greek which contained the letter φ (phi) so when they were purloined for the Latin languages they kept the "ph".

Very simple really. :)

Ask a Question