The Best PC Games (You Should Be Playing)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Tech Spot have published an article looking at what they consider to be the eight best games on the market at the moment:

For as long as I can remember, there have been those who claim “PC gaming is dead,” despite the fact that the platform keeps going from strength to strength. In recent times, however, the naysayers haven’t been as vocal as they used to -- barring the Batman: Arkham Knight fiasco -- the last couple of years have been a bit of a golden age for PC gaming, producing some incredible games that will be talked about and played for years.

But which ones are the best of the best? In our opinion, these are the eight greatest PC games you should be playing right now. Just pick up any and go.

Read the full article here.

P.S. Sorry @muckshifter, Eurotruck Simulator 2 doesn't feature :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Of those I'm playing...

1) The Witcher III Wild Hunt which is indeed superb to look at and has good gameplay but so far - about 90 minutes in - a lot of the game is taken up with cut scenes and at times it feels more like an interactive film rather than a game. I had been waiting for this to be reduced from £50 so when GOG (Good Old Games) advertised it for half price (£25) I bought it. Then the next day Steam offered it for the same price and at time of writing both game suppliers are still selling it for £25. It is worth five fivers for sure.

2) Fallout 4, which cost me, I think, £26. Brilliant gameworld but at times a little confusing and also sometimes hard. The difficulty seems to depend on how far you wander from your starting point. I still don't have a clue how to start a settlement or modify an armour suit. Good game though, certainly worth the price I paid for it.

3) Grand Theft Auto V. So I wait months and months for the price to be reduced from £40 and in the end give up and pay full whack for it. One week later it's reduced to around £25 :mad: This game looks superb, has a great sense of humour and fairly good gameplay but..... I'm not mad keen on it to be honest. I think my problem lies with what I think is an overly complicated control interface, seems rather confusing to me, especially during the frequent episodes involving vehicle chases, I keep forgetting which sequence of buttons to press on my MS wireless controller.

4) Diablo III (On the PS3). I like this game a lot, much to my surprise, it's nothing new, doesn't look particularly pretty, the storyline is weak and it can get a little repetitive. But I like it, nuff said. And I only paid a tenner for it in a second hand shop (CEX).

Am seriously thinking about buying Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain but will probably wait for a further reduction in price later next year as I have oodles of new games to play atm.

I'm liking Mad Max, which didn't get a mention in the linked article, but again - lots of cut scenes and the film comparison.

To return to the subject of The Witcher series, I've almost completed the first one (the enhanced edition) and imo it's a very good game. Last time I looked Steam were offering it for around a one pound coin which makes buying it a no-brainer imo. Not as pretty or fluid as the Mk III version but still very good. I also have 2, bought it years ago but have never started playing it. I probably will one day.

The game 'Undertale' was mentioned in the article as an also-ran but I tried it (for a fiver) and honestly couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Maybe it's me.

And maybe it's me with GTA V as well, could be senility kicking in and causing confusion... ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Borderlands should have been up there!

Ive got witcher 1&2 from steam sale yet to play though.

GTA V is a console+pad game. Just feels wrong playing it on pc. God knows how much of my life i spent playing 3 and vice city! Didnt really give 4&5 much of a chance but the bits i did play i enjoyed.

I tried starcraft but it needs time and learning to play, not pick up and play like the old command and conquers.

Ask a Question