Temporary Internet Files Location Changed

John Taylor

Hello to all,

I've just noticed that within the last couple of days the location of my
Temporary Internet Files has changed.

Using Win XP SP2, they were saved in four folders under the following
folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5

Now they are being saved in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files, all in the one folder.

Previously I was able to run Cleanmgr.exe and see the total amount of space
they were taking on my hard disk, as well as 'view' them via this method if
required. Now I'm not able to do this because Cleanmgr.exe only 'reads' the
original four folders, and of course shows them as empty because no TIF
files are being saved there now.

Can anyone offer an explanation for the change, and if so is it possible to
revert to the original behaviour?

Looking forward to some help,

Regards,

John

Andrew E.

Go to run,type:CLEANMGR /SAGESET Select what files for disk-cleanup
to eliminate,once thru,exit,return to run,type:CLEANMGR /SAGERUN

John Taylor

Andrew,

Thanks for the advice.

However, I would also really like to know why the TIF location has changed
without my intervention, and if it can be restored to it's original
location.

Regards,

John

Bill in Co.

In IE, you can:
Select Tools, Options, Temporary Internet Files, Settings, and Move Folder.

Why it was put in the temp folder, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it
should normally be where it is now (i.e., C:\Documents and
Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files), and not under that
Temp directory.

They may *appear* to just all be in one folder, but if you right click on
Properties, it may indicate that there are indeed 4 or 8 subfolders in there
(but they aren't always seen in Windows Explorer - which is part of the
window's smoke and mirrors thing)

John Taylor

Thanks for the info.

I've checked and they do all appear to be in the one folder and not multiple
subfolders.

What intrigues me is why the folder was suddenly changed, and maybe even
more importantly what changed it.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

John

Don Varnau

John,
In this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\
Shell Folders
what's the value (right pane) for Cache?

Are you running a security suite or other program from Norton?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Bill in Co.

You right-mouse clicked on Temporary Internet Files, and selected
Properties, and it didn't indicate it contained any folders (besides one)?
Seems strange. Although as I said, I can't see the subfolders in Windows
Explorer (there are 8 of them, though).

John Taylor

Don,

The value for Cache is:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

And that is indeed the newly created location where the TIF files are being
saved.

What I'm interested to determine is why the cache folder changed, without
any intervention on my part and without having installed any new software,
or MS security updates etc.

Things "appear" to be working OK, but guess I'm just curious as to what
caused the change.

Regards,

John

John Taylor said:
[...]

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said in your previous reply.

When I right-mouse clicked on theTemporary Internet Files folder, and
selected Properties, it indicated that there are 11 folders. And, as you
suspected, I can't see the subfolders in Windows Explorer.

Which is another difference from the 'old' TIF location, where I could
actually see the Content.IE5 folder and it's 4 sub folders in Windows
Explorer.

Regards,

John

Bill in Co.

Maybe because the old TIF location wasn't being used by the system anymore,
so the "smoke and mirrors thing" of windows explorer was not used there -
for that folder. IOW, it was a dead folder, so you *could* see it as it
really is.

I hate this thing about windows, though (not being able to see what is
really there, supposedly for security reasons).

Don Varnau

Hi,
Tossing out what little I know ;-)

The TIF is now in the default location. I don't know why it was in Local
Settings\Temp. I suspect a third party program, but I seem to recall hearing
of this happening during an OS upgrade or reinstall- Win98 to XP, for
example.

I'm sure that the current invisibility of the content.ie5 folders is just
that, invisibility. It doesn't mean that they don't exist.
More:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...rosoft.public.windowsxp.general&q=content.ie5
Can you see them if you login as another user with administrative
privileges?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

John Taylor

Don,

Thanks for this latest info, and the URL - some interesting stuff in there.

Apologies for only answering one of your questions in the previous message;
I missed the second one, and have been extremely busy since then, hence you
haven't heard from me.
Are you running a security suite or other program from Norton?

No. Have never had any Norton programs installed on this computer.

To answer your latest comment re an OS upgrade or reinstall - Win98 to XP:

This computer came with Win XP SP1 and I've never had to do a reinstall.
The only 'changes' I've made are to install the Win XP SP2 upgrade, and all
the MS Security updates.

This is a standalone computer and I don't have to login, and as far as I'm
aware I already have Administrative privileges. Don't even know what I
would have to do to login as another user with administrative privileges.

Once again, thanks for the interest that you've shown in responding to my
query.

Regards,

John

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Tossing out what little I know ;-)

The TIF is now in the default location. I don't know why it was in Local
Settings\Temp. I suspect a third party program, but I seem to recall
hearing
of this happening during an OS upgrade or reinstall- Win98 to XP, for
example.

I'm sure that the current invisibility of the content.ie5 folders is just
that, invisibility. It doesn't mean that they don't exist.
More:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...rosoft.public.windowsxp.general&q=content.ie5
Can you see them if you login as another user with administrative
privileges?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

John Taylor said:
Don,

The value for Cache is:

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

And that is indeed the newly created location where the TIF files are being
saved.

What I'm interested to determine is why the cache folder changed, without
any intervention on my part and without having installed any new
software,
or MS security updates etc.

Things "appear" to be working OK, but guess I'm just curious as to what
caused the change.

Regards,

John

Don Varnau

Hi,
In some cases with XP you cannot see the content.ie5 folders or even the
contents of the TIF folder for the account which is currently in use (logged
in.) Using the Administrator account (starting up in Safe Mode) works around
this.

Running this command (from Start> Run) shell:cache\content.ie5 should also
display the content.ie5 folders.

Sorry, don't know why the TIF folder got moved. Stuff happens? ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Tossing out what little I know ;-)

The TIF is now in the default location. I don't know why it was in Local
Settings\Temp. I suspect a third party program, but I seem to recall
hearing
of this happening during an OS upgrade or reinstall- Win98 to XP, for
example.

I'm sure that the current invisibility of the content.ie5 folders is just
that, invisibility. It doesn't mean that they don't exist.
More:
http://groups.google.com/group/micr...rosoft.public.windowsxp.general&q=content.ie5
Can you see them if you login as another user with administrative
privileges?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]
John Taylor said:
Don,

The value for Cache is:

[...]

Is there a way to fix this so one CAN see the content.ie5 folders in normal
mode? I would like that option (rather than this "smoke and mirrors"
thing).

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Thanks for this latest piece of information.

Although I'm not able to see content.ie5 folders using Windows Explorer, I
can see the contents of the TIF folder via this means.

However, your command 'shell:cache\content.ie5' does show the 4 folders
under the content.ie5 folder. Don't have any idea what the other
(invisible) folders are, but right clicking on the 'Temporary Internet
Files' folder, under Properties, shows there being 11 folders.

And, to put this matter to rest (maybe), as you said:

Why the TIF Folder got moved - Stuff happens. Sure does. :)

And like Bill, I would be interested to know if there is a way to see the
content.ie5 folders "normally", ie., using Windows Explorer. However, from
what's been discussed to date, I suspect there isn't any (known) way to
achieve this, so I (we?) will just have to live with what we've got.

Again, thanks for your help and patience with this matter.

Regards,

John

Don Varnau said:
[...]

I don't know of a setting that can be changed. Personally, I clear out the
TIF every few days, as routine maintenance, and try not to worry too much
about what the content.ie5 folders are doing. ;-)

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

John Taylor said:
[...]

Maybe there's a "desktop.ini" file in there that can be safely deleted
(???).

IIRC, these "desktop.ini" files can affect this "smoke and mirrors" thing on
the files contained within a folder (but I'm not sure in this case if it
applies).

Don said:
[...]

Addendum:
Well, I was correct, and that is at the core of it (assuming you have an app
that can even find most of those files, since windows explorer won't reveal
them.

However, deleting one of them (in the root of the TIF) didn't help much, as
it got rebuilt again after rebooting. I'll have to pursue this some more
in my spare time.