System restore problem

G

Hi I am trying to use the System restore facility. I have attempted to use 5 different dates (All highlighted on the callendar as per the instruction). Each time the computes goes throught the routine of gathering files closing down and opens up with the same message "Sorry could not restore try another date". An additional point is the facility will only allow me to go back to the previous month. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

W

Will Denny

Hi

That kind of error would suggest that System Restore has one or more corrupt files in it. You can turn SR off/on again, but you will lose any existing checkpoints:

Right click My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore tab. Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and reboot your PC. After that 1st reboot go back into SR and disable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and reboot your PC again. After that 2nd reboot you should one new SR checkpoint.

You can alter the amount of disk space allocated to SR by right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the System Restore tab. Highlight the appropriate drive and then 'Settings'. Move the slider left/right to decrease/increase disk space. Going back to a checkpoint more than about 10/14 days old 'may' not be very helpful - depending on how many installs/uninstalls you perform. The Registry entries will be a lot different.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| Hi I am trying to use the System restore facility. I have attempted to use 5 different dates (All highlighted on the callendar as per the instruction). Each time the computes goes throught the routine of gathering files closing down and opens up with the same message "Sorry could not restore try another date". An additional point is the facility will only allow me to go back to the previous month. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ask a Question