Super Anti Spyware

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just installed and run super anti spyware, this is to replace spybot search and destroy as I have been having problems with that.
I also have avg free and adaware on my computer.
Do I need to keep adaware or will super anti spyware cover everything adaware does?
Thanks,
Andy.

p.s. I have just noticed avg also has antispyware and adware,so will this cover everthing on its own?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's ok to run anti-malware programs together but not ok to run more than one installation of anti-virus software.

No harm in keeping Adaware and SuperAntiSpyware and using both.

If your AVG is free I'd advise ditching that and using Antivir, simply because it's better than AVG.

If your AVG is paid for wait until the licence expires and then use Antivir instead.

If you prefer to pay for your anti-virus software (and there are those in this world who assume because it's paid for it's better - no comment) then take a look at Kaspersky and NOD 32. Of those I believe NOD 32 is the better.

Reaction score
Hi Floppybootstomp,

Thanks for reply.
AVG was free edition so i have uninstalled it and installed avira.
Does avira scan e-mails?I noticed with the avg it would show it scanning e-mails as they were received and would add a line saying no virus found in this incomming message.
Avira is shown as active in the system tray so can i take it that any virus wherever it comes from will be detected?
Thanks again , i value the experienced opinions from this forum.
Andy.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I had to bin Antivir due to a high number of False positives. :(

The new Avast 5 (still in beta for now but dont let that put you off) is very good and getting very good reviews

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53489.0

I've installed the suite on my GF's lappy and its great.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I still wonder, how do people know something is 'great' until they browse iffy sites?

Many people are taken in by a good looking GUI, this is how Nortons, for one, have made lots of money from a gullible public.

Trouble is for them they overdone it, made bloatware, and shot themselves in the foot.

V_R, on what basis is Avast great? Just curious :)

I do browse iffy sites sometimes, must admit, and Avir does seem to stop a lot of crap. Unless, of course, they're all 'false positives'. Which to my mind is unlikely but must confess I don't know.

What we need here is proof and links to informed tests.

And no, Antivir does not scan e-mails with the free version.

But Mailwasher could help here, free for one e-mail account.

Truth be told, any e-mail where you don't know the sender, delete it instantly without opening it or any attachments. Simple.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Blimey! :eek: IF we can believe the results of the first link I'm very shocked to see Symantec seem to have got their act together again, I should welcome that really but I'm still sceptical.

Other than that, would have been about what I thought.

Interesting that both links did not include NOD 32, makes me wonder whether something smells of payola (unless NOD_32's listed under another name I'm unaware of).

As for that second link, frankly I don't believe it. That PC Mag site has issued crap before and it looks as though they may still be in the market for back-handers. I mean, come on - PC Tools Internet Security as # 1? I've never heard of them.

I can believe Symantec/Nortons may be a contender again as I've been hearing whispers they may have had a return to form. I also hear they have reduced the amount of bloatware in their latest package. Interesting.

I'm personally only interested in free packages and I did test all three a while back. How? Simple, I just installed each one at a time on a test disk with XP on and using IE deliberately browsed lots of pRon and warez sites, noting how quickly I became infected and how many nasties each application blocked.

I done that twice and Antivir was a clear winner.

So I'll stick with that I think.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Interesting that both links did not include NOD 32, makes me wonder whether something smells of payola (unless NOD_32's listed under another name I'm unaware of).
ESET Is The suite that includes NOD32 AV. :)

Well AV Comparatives is very good. I've seem Mucks mention the quite a few times.

I guess a lot of it is subjective (if that is the right word) Personal preference.

Out of interest, what firewall do you use with Antivir Flops?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
ESET
Out of interest, what firewall do you use with Antivir Flops?

Bog standard Win 7 as supplied.

I haven't used an additional firewall for about nine years now, have to say.

Last one I used was Kerio.

Ask a Question