Which anti-spyware?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm a little out of touch with the latest anti-spyware programs so which programs does anybody here recommend?

I used to use AdAware and Spybot S & D but have heard they're not much good these days.

At the moment I have a Linksys wireless router hard wired to my main machine which has a hardware firewall; Windows Firewall is enabled and I'm using Antivir free as my AV software.

And Windows Defender in my Vista machine but not on my XP machines.

I recently switched from Avast on one machine back to Antivir after reading reports that Avast did not detect quite a few nasties that Antvir caught.

Oh, and one caveat - free please, I'm too stingy/sensible (delete where applicable) to pay ;)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
You can get a free version of Kapersky, it doesn't have all the features but the main ones are there, that coupled with superantispyware works fine for me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I went with SUPERantispyware as you all recommended it.

Have installed, updated and performed a quick scan which took ten minutes.

It found ten tracking cookies and objected to the SIW.exe file which it identified as a Trojan.

So that's both Antivir and SUPERantispyware that see the free software program SIW (System Information for Windows) as a Trojan. Interesting.

Reaction score
Thats very interesting could be something about that file it does not like very odd.

Regards,

Wiz

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just run Super Antispyware for the first time today..over 300 threats detected...So much for Norton 360 saying system was clean....

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Just run Super Antispyware for the first time today..over 300 threats detected...So much for Norton 360 saying system was clean....

Yeah thats Norton for you its rubbish .:D I have had the same problems as well with viurs saying its clean when it was not.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:

I will say it again "Norton IS total rubbish" I read somewhere a while back that it found it`s self as an identified Trojan:lol:

Reaction score
itsme said:
I will say it again "Norton IS total rubbish" I read somewhere a while back that it found it`s self as an identified Trojan:lol:

Thats about right
laughingsmiley.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Went with SuperAntiSpyware myself a few months ago after someone else here recommended it - very pleased with it so far :) I also (surprisingly) quite like Windows Defender as a backup :nod:

Reaction score
The good news is after reading Ian's article on Kaspersky, I went out and bought it..Wil be loading it tomorrow at some point when I install Vista Ultimate..the Norton can go in the filling cabinet ready for the dirt man..

Ask a Question