Anti-Virus interference

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thought this may be of some interest to folks... Was working on a friends computer recently, here's the specs:

AMD FX-6300 6 core 3.5Ghz CPU
8Gb dual channel Corsair DDR3 memory (2 x 4Gb 669Mhz 9-9-9-24)
MSI Nvidia GTX1060 6Gb Graphics card
Seagate 2Tb HDD (no SSD fitted) & Samsung 750Gb HDD
Asus Xonar DGX Sound card
Pioneer BDR-209D Bluray RW drive

He needed some anti virus software so first having installed Malwarebytes installed AVG free AV.

Which promptly stopped him from playing Dragon Age: Inquisition.

So uninstalled AVG and proceeded to install Avast. Only to find out AVG & Avast have amalgamated and are now one and the same so that blocked the DAI game as well.

Off came Avast and on went Sophos. Sophos (free) looks good, very non-intrusive and the Dragon Age game worked.

But Sophos stopped Call Of Duty 4 online from working so it was also goodbye to Sophos.

Finally left him with Windows Defender as he didn't want to pay for something like Kaspersky and Windows Defender didn't stop either of those two games from working.

Now I know it's likely I may have been able to find the software's exception lists somewhere and unblocked the two games but I was at a friends house doing a favour and frankly couldn't be bothered to start going to all that agro trying to configure various anti-virus programs.

And that was my experience with a few freebie AV programs.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Security in Windows 10 seems to have improved enormously, particularly as users are generally more savvy and don't open e-mail attachments called freemoney.exe and browsers are patched very regularly. I suspect Windows Defender is actually good enough for most people now, even though MS gave the suggestion that it's "baseline" effective a while back.

I'm still with Kaspersky, for better or for worse :lol:. However, I do use Defender as the free option on other machines now.

Kaspersky hasn't ever stopped me from playing games, although a few years back it did interfere with fast network transfers. I'm yet to try the free version of Sophos, but will keep it in mind for future systems.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
As per THIS thread I am still rocking Windows Defender on my main PC and laptop with no issue :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Same here, it just works. I do scan with ESET online, Trend Micro, MAB etc though - always good.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Still using Kaspersky with no major problems although a couple of times it has interfered with downloads from GiveawayOfTheDay and I've had to switch it off to get the download. Sort of defeats the object really. Not that I've downloaded much from GOTD over the years. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am using Sophos Home (Beta)
Its actually really easy to configure the settings..
Sign into your account
Go to the Configure tab
Make sure the Games option is ticked on allow

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I am using Sophos Home (Beta)
Its actually really easy to configure the settings..
Sign into your account
Go to the Configure tab
Make sure the Games option is ticked on allow

Went round there today and reinstalled Sophos, joined the Beta program and logged him in.

Went to 'configure' and noted that every single option was set to 'allow'.

Fired up Call Of Duty 4 online and Sophos is still messing it up. From getting a ping of between 19 and 74 the lowest ping on the game was now 265 ranging up to 1000-odd. And the mouse cursor stuttered all over the menu.

Uninstalled Sophos (Beta) and CoD4 plays fine.

There's something wrong with that there application methinks.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Went round there today and reinstalled Sophos, joined the Beta program and logged him in.

Went to 'configure' and noted that every single option was set to 'allow'.

Fired up Call Of Duty 4 online and Sophos is still messing it up. From getting a ping of between 19 and 74 the lowest ping on the game was now 265 ranging up to 1000-odd. And the mouse cursor stuttered all over the menu.

Uninstalled Sophos (Beta) and CoD4 plays fine.

There's something wrong with that there application methinks.
Sophos has been absolutely fantastic for me since I installed it, no problems with games this end although I don't play COD on the PC only on XBox One

Shame its not working for your friend, maybe worth shooting them an email Flopp's

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, there was a sort of conclusion to this, can't remember the exact details but I think it was Sophos flashed him up a message that Call Of Duty 4's Punkbuster was causing the problem, Sophos saw it as malware. But by then he had uninstalled Sophos so never got round to tryng to circumvent Punkbuster.

I play CoD4 so I might give Sophos a go myself.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah would be good for future reference if you can find the solution

Ask a Question