Windows 7 Fresh install list

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Changed hard disks on bedroom/media computer so decided to do a fresh install of Windows 7 which I still consider the best OS Microsoft ever released, despite using Windows 10 on gaming computer (Also use Linux Mint Cinnamon V19.1 on bedroom computer but that’s another story). Was surprised at just how much setup and software I had to undertake and install, here’s a list, I’ve almost certainly missed something…

Win 7 OS
Win 7 Service Pack 1
LAN Drivers
Internet Explorer 11
Opera Browser
Video Drivers (GeForce Experience software)
Sound card drivers Asus Xonar DGX
UAC settings
Folder Options – Single click/View all file extensions
Epson 4490 Scanner drivers & software
Behringer Audio interface drivers
7-Zip
Foxit PDF reader
Speccy
dbPowerAmp (The old free version with Aux module for recording from vinyl & cassette)
Xbox 360 game controller drivers
Pinnacle Studio / Dazzle video capture device drivers
Audacity audio editing software
Wavosaur audio editing software
Printer drivers/wireless setup
All Win 7 updates
Power options – disable all energy settings/screen saver
Mozilla Thunderbird Email client software
Acronis True Image Hard disk backup software
Nero V12
Adobe Photoshop CS5
Adobe Lightroom
Avery Design and Print label software
Microsoft Office 2007 (purely to access old Publisher files)
Libre Office
Anti Virus software (One of the free options)
Leawo Bluray/DVD player
K-Lite Codec pack/Classic Media Player
Foobar Audio Player/CD Burner add-on
Vuse Torrent streaming software
Steam Game client
Galaxy/GoG Game client
Uplay/Ubisoft Game client
Origin/EA Game Client
Smartscope oscilloscope software
TOA Amplifier programming software

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Does Windows 7 not take care of the drivers for you? (Excluding video card)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you use ninite.com or something similar to get everything installed in one go? You may have already heard of it, but thought it was worth mentioning if not, as it'll sort half of that list in 2 clicks for you :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Does Windows 7 not take care of the drivers for you? (Excluding video card)

Some it did, yes, the Intel chipset drivers for instance but I couldn't connect to the net without installing the motherboards LAN drivers. And to be on the safe side I also installed the motherboard USB3 drivers.

Incidentally, all the time I've been using Windows 7 64 Bit I've never had to do a fresh install, I just felt in this instance it would be worthwhile. Nor, for that matter, have I ever had to reinstall Windows 10 though I have had more problems with Win 10 than I've had with Win 7. More BSODs in Win 10, for instance.

Still, disregarding Win 8/8.1 (which I never tried), with Microsoft it seems with maturity comes more stability.

Ian said:
Do you use ninite.com or something similar to get everything installed in one go? You may have already heard of it, but thought it was worth mentioning if not, as it'll sort half of that list in 2 clicks for you :)

Nope, didn't use anything like that but now you mention it I do recall you talking of this some time ago, wish I'd remembered it. I haven't finished installing software and drivers yet, just plodding through the somewhat laborious process of seeking stuff out, installing and where necessary, updating.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, didn't use anything like that but now you mention it I do recall you talking of this some time ago, wish I'd remembered it. I haven't finished installing software and drivers yet, just plodding through the somewhat laborious process of seeking stuff out, installing and where necessary, updating.

It's really good, so worth trying next time :). At a glance, I think it'll install almost half of your software in that list for you (with the latest versions) in no time.

Ask a Question