Steam playing up

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I selected a few cheapo games from their 'Week long deal' section but can't seem to buy them, just keep getting errors.

Have tried rebooting, paying by Paypal or Debit card and even tried logging on from a different machine - no go. Has been like this for about 4 hours now and a quick look at their Forum reveals I'm not the only one having problems.

The three NFS games were ones I had on my old Xbox 360 which I no longer have so for that price I thought they'd be worth revisiting. These offers are on until March 10th so I do hope they sort the prob before then.

8806d1394047267-steam-playing-up-steam-purchase.jpg

Attachments

• Steam Purchase.JPG
    Steam Purchase.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 334

CSB

Reaction score
My copy of Need For Speed Undercover never worked as it kept freezing right at the end of the install. I bought it from Game and because it had been a couple of months (Didn't try to install it until then) they refused to help even though I still had the receipt.

I used to have Zeno Clash 1. The other games I've never played and for those prices I can understand why you'd want to re-visit them Flops. I may even get a couple before the 10th. If it works as you say.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well no sooner did I post here than I tried again and.... it worked :blush:

Either a glitch or overloaded servers I suppose.

As I speak NFS Undercover almost installed, I'll let you know if it works ok CSB.

I thought Zeno Clash 2 looked quirky enough to gamble three quid on, we shall see.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You probably got caught up in the new gov initiative Flops. If you buy too many games they keep on throwing glitches at you till you give up. If that fails they offer you a week at the gov sponsored Gamers Anonymous holiday camp in the Outer Hebrides.:lol:

CSB

Reaction score
Sorry Flops. I meant I was installing from 2 discs. I tried installing it from online too but for some reason I was still having problems with a slow internet speed so it would have taken 2 weeks for the 15GB or whatever it was.

I should try again really as it might all go fine. My internet was fine at the time so maybe I just tried at the wrong times. I did try it a good few times though I will add so it wasn't like I tried it twice and gave up. I'll keep you posted too as I'm off Friday.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
NFS Undercover crashes. At the start you have to outchase the cops and each time I get to a roadblock the game crashes. I set it to Win XP SP3 compatibility but it still crashes.

It's six years old now and the graphics are lacklustre but it's still a good game. If it worked.

Steam shouldn't offer this if it won't work on Win 7.

Colour me annoyed :mad:

CSB

Reaction score
How annoying. I find the compatability settings rarely help a game to work.

I wonder if Steam has some Jargon in their TS & Cs to prevent users from getting a refund on a digital download? I've never bought a game from steam directly as mine have always been from retail discs with the activation codes.

Only £2.49, but why should they have it if it won't work. Did the web page say it was Windows 7 compatible?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
NFS Undercover worked on my media machine straight away (i3 Sandy Bridge 3.3Ghz Quad Core; 1Gb GTX560; 8Gb memory) and when I changed my Nvidia drivers on my main machine (i7 3.4Ghz Sandybridge Quad Core; 4Gb GTX760; 8Gb memory) from 332.21 to 334.89 then NFS Undercover worked well on that machine as well.

Of those 3 NFS games I like Shift 1 the best, good gameplay, and Shift 2 isn't as good on the PC as it was on the Xbox360 for some reason. And graphics on all three are a bit rubbish.

Zeno Clash 2 must be the weirdest game I've ever played, good fun. It's basically lots of cut scenes interspersed with wandering around and fist fights. Very strange. But good, imo.

All in all, the 4 games were worth the reduced price but I wouldn't pay full asking price for the 3 old NFS games.

CSB

Reaction score
I used to have the first Zeno Clash before I gave it to my brother. Was kind of funny how you could pick up chickens too and have a little bish bash bosh with the fisty cuffs in POV style.

I'm off Thrusday so I'll be trying to get my NFS Undercover to work again. I'll update the drivers too even though it doesn't feel like 2 weeks have passed since I did it last.

Happy gaming Flops and to all here.

Ask a Question