Another Steam thread

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just bought a couple from Steam I think are worth mentioning, first off the original Wolfenstein 3D for just 74p or you can have that game, Wolfenstein 3D: Spear Of Destiny and Return to Castle Wolfenstein for £2.50, which is what I went for, the latter game is worth that much alone. I already own RTCW GOTY edition or summat but for that price having it on Steam is convenient.

Apparently the two older games come with Dosbox and run ok on Win 7 but checking the Steam forums apparently a piece of software named NewWolf makes them run better. I've no idea what NewWolf is or whether it's a freebie or not, I haven't checked it out yet.

At time of posting the Wolfenstein games offer has just 3.5 hours to run.

Other one I bought is Alan Wake for £11.49. There's also a 'special edition' going for reduced price of £13.49 with extra stuff but I didn't bother with that. Alan Wake offer at time of posting has 9.5 hours to run.

I have Alan Wake on the Xbox 360 and what little I played of it I thought was good but I do prefer gaming on the PC so went for the offer (half price, incidentally). I only paid a fiver for the Xbox version from Cash Converters and will get a few quid back for it part exchange at a Gamestation store so all is good.

And finally there's a demo available for Dirt:Showdown, which I think is very good, give it a go, don't cost nowt :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Return to castle wolfenstein is a classic, played through that a few times now, might have to had a go at £2.50! Cheers flops

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, I'd forgotten it was shareware (free). Still, for 74p from Steam it comes ready to run without having to kerfuff about to get a DOS program to run.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Max Payne 3 is released on Steam in three weeks' time for £30.00 which is about the right price for a new game with a pedigree, asssuming it's as good or better than it's predecessors.

And if you pre-purchase you can get Max Payne 1 & 2 to play right now which imo is a good thing. Myself, I already have the first two but I think MP1 will only run on XP/Win 98. Max Payne 2 I played through again earlier this year, still a pretty good game, the original MP2 plays fine in Win 7 btw.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, I started playing the original Wolfenstein and to be quite honest it's a bit of a waste of time. The controls are archaic, I can't seem to map keys to actions and what seemed good twenty or so years ago now seems like the equivalent of a horse and cart compared to a Ferrari. Oh well, it was worth the £2.50 just to play RTCW on my Win 7 machine, have been playing some, that is still a good game, even though I must have already played it through about 6 times.

Talking of RTCW, if you do get it from Steam do not set your graphics settings too high or it won't start. I found out the hard way and 'deleting local content' of the game within Steam and reinstalling didn't work, I had to actually delete the game's folder within Steam and re-download/install to get it to start. I'm running at 1024 x 768 which is acceptable on my 27" monitor for a game that age.

I almost pre-purchased Max Payne 3 for £30, mostly because they were offering the first two as a bonus for free on pre-purchase before tomorrow. But then I thought I have both the games, I played MP2 through around January time and I can load MP1 on either my XP or Win 98 machine so why bother?

So, decided definitely to wait until MP3 is reduced in price.

Will mention again that I enjoyed Sniper Elite V2 a great deal, I've now killed Hitler and got through a few of the challenge maps, all good stuff, though the Hitler thingie is very short.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'm still rockin' Kingdoms of Amalur, I bet im over 30 hours in and it still feels fresh!

Went through my Steam library collection (around 30 titles on there) and seen Metro 2033 so I jumped back into the action as I haven't completed it yet, done a few more chapters and pooped my pants some more, definitely going to complete it. Also F.E.A.R. 2 I havent clocked yet so I did a few more chapters on that aswell! Its the steam sales i blame, too many games at bargain prices and I want em all.

Max Payne 3 and Diablo 3 are on my hit list but I cant justify both so I think Diablo is gonna be my next game.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kingdoms of Amular is on my list, it's had great reviews, not least from Mr Reef ;) Currently £24 at Amazon, £30 at Steam. Damn, should have bought it when it was £22 at Amazon :(

Played the demo of The Risen 1 yesterday evening, loved it, will buy it from Steam today at £15. The reviews say that The Risen 1 is actually better than the Risen 2, which is unusual.

I finished FEAR 2 yonks ago, liked that game a lot. I've since bought some 'DLC' for FEAR 2 which apparently is embedded in the main game so expect I'll play it through again. I wonder if I will actually spot the new content?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Rather than start another thread this one will do nicely.

Steams running the Ubisoft deal weekend, Is Assassins Creed worth it? Any of them i mean. :)

Also hoping Driver San Francisco drops more than the 33% that is on at the mo.... not sure its worth £14.....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33440/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just bought AC_II & Brotherhood for the combined price of £8.73.

I had played about an hours worth of AC_II on Xbox and it was surprisingly very good but for the price it was going on Steam (£3.74) I thought I'd rather play it on PC and part-ex Xbox game at shop.

Brotherhood I have not a clue about but the Reviews were good so for a fiver I thought I'd take a chance.

I bought the first Assassins Creed on release and it was really good for the first few levels but after that I realised every other level was pretty much the same thing and it became repetitive and boring. So I sold it.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Finally finished Metro 2033. Glad I've played and completed it, but doubt I'd do it again as its far to linear. I prefer Crysis/Far Cry style than just going through one path. Still probably the most graphical game to date though, not bad considering its getting on for a few years now!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Just this minute finished F.E.A.R. 2, what a strange ans disturbing ending. Might have to get F.E.A.R. 3 now!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Fear 1 & 2 and add-ons - good. I've completed them and liked them both a lot.

General consensus about FEAR 3 - El Crapola. Purchase with caution or at least seek out some reviews first.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alice 2 is rubbish.

As I recall there are either 4 or 6 levels, I got through the first level and got stuck. Other better game players than I managed to reach the third level and got stuck, it's not just me.

The game is terribly frustrating and stupidly difficult, imagine any Tomb Raider game with it's difficulty ramped up tenfold and that's what it's like. Which is a damn shame cos the graphics and storyline are very good, nice and quirky.

It only has checkpoints, no manual save, so that means you'll play some parts, usually jumping platforms, over and over and over again. No fun, no fun.

Pick up a cheap copy of Alice One, that's a great game which actually works in Win 7, I played it through again in Win 7 recently.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Saints Row The Third - £10.19 until Monday - just get it.

It's in the same vein as GTA IV but with lots of different quirky little side quests. It could be described as 'comic violence' but most of all it's a lot of fun.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ohh, i've been waiting for that to pop up on the cheap, may have to grab it, Cheers Flops. :)

Ask a Question