Windows XP Startup folder at startup

Reaction score
The C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder opes and stays open at startup. I'v tried all fixes associated with the similar problem with the system32 folder that comes up with an online search. I have emptied startup folder completly and rebooted no difference. empty startup folder appears on desktop, open.

Reaction score
Have you used msconfig to try to find out what is starting it up? The answer is probably Yes but if not then do the following. (Please excuse the level of detail; if you have used msconfig before you wil know what to do)

From the Start Menu click Run; type msconfig into the dialog and click OK. The System Configuration Utility will start.

The rightmost tab is Startup. There you will find a list of items which are set to run on Windows startup. (This box is not designed to be easy to use!) You will need to widen the second column so that you can read it properly. As far as I know the only way to do this is manually. So point the mouse at the short vertical line to the right of the command column heading; when it changes to a double headed arrow either side of a vertical line then left click, hold and move the line to the right until the full locations of the startup items show. Now look for anything beginning with C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup . If there are any then deselect the leftmost box and click apply. msconfig will suggest a restart. On restart you can see whether or not any changes have worked.

Reaction score
Thanks. worked. Thought I had already done that! It was intervideo WinDVD 7. Funny thing, have had this software for years, inquiring minds want to know why it just started lately? Had Norton tech support help me remove a trojan that the AV software couldn't deal with, maybe that's it.

Ask a Question