Startup Folder Items Not Display

A

Adhal

Hello,
First I did a search for this but couldn't find a solution. I have moved my Startup folder using
TweakUI. The items on the startup folder get executed on system startup as expected... however when
I got to start->All Programs->Startup I get an empty folder. When I got to the startup folder using
explorer I can see the items.

The folder is placed under ":\Program Data\System\Startup", instead of the default location. If I
got to the default (user) location
"C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Start Menu\Programs", all I have is the following folders and
nothing else.

-Accessories
-Microsoft AppLocale
-Microsoft Web Publishing

How can I get it to display the items in the startup folder, even if it means resetting it to
default location I am happy.

Thank you
Adhal

T

Tim Meddick

You have either Vista or Win7 *not* WinXP....

This is (for what little time remains for it)
"microsoft.public.windowsxp.general" !!

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

A

Adhal

What? I have Windows XP SP3 (and it still has time) and that's no help.

For what little time it remains for it:

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

XP is still the majority and for good reason. Vista sucks (understatement of the decade) and Windows
7 will run to slow on many machines. Let's face it XP will still be the majority for a few more
years even if Microsoft is being silly with not releasing DirectX 10 onwards on it.

And now... Starup folder... how do I fix it :)

B

Ben Myers

Adhal said:
Hello,
First I did a search for this but couldn't find a solution. I have moved my Startup folder using
TweakUI. The items on the startup folder get executed on system startup as expected... however when
I got to start->All Programs->Startup I get an empty folder. When I got to the startup folder using
explorer I can see the items.
The folder is placed under ":\Program Data\System\Startup", instead of the default location. If I
got to the default (user) location
"C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Start Menu\Programs", all I have is the following folders and
nothing else.
-Accessories
-Microsoft AppLocale
-Microsoft Web Publishing
How can I get it to display the items in the startup folder, even if it means resetting it to
default location I am happy.

When you change the Startup folder, the default one becomes a regular folder, containing
only what you put into it. If you are trying to start a program for all users without affecting
their individual startup applications, try putting a shortcut to your program in
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup".

Ben

A

Adhal

When you change the Startup folder, the default one becomes a regular folder, containing
only what you put into it. If you are trying to start a program for all users without affecting
their individual startup applications, try putting a shortcut to your program in
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup".

Ben

Thanks Ben,

I am talking about my profile folder. When I go to Start->Program Files->Startup I get an
***empty*** content which is wrong. Startup applications are being run and being placed in the
profile startup folder which is under "\Program Data\System\Startup" they are just not appearing in
the menu. An odd predicament that has me stumped.

If anyone knows a way to reset the startup setting or recreate the default folder, I don't mind that
either.

B

Ben Myers

I am talking about my profile folder. When I go to Start->Program Files->Startup I get an
***empty*** content which is wrong.

This is because the default folder is now empty and is a regular folder.
Startup applications are being run and being placed in the
profile startup folder which is under "\Program Data\System\Startup" they are just not appearing in
the menu. An odd predicament that has me stumped.

They are not on the menu because you moved them to another location.
If anyone knows a way to reset the startup setting or recreate the default folder, I don't mind that
either.

Use TweakUI again or right-click and drag the new folder back to the Programs menu.

Ben

A

Adhal

Thanks Ben,

Now I feel like a total retard. The answer was obvious. Truth, I am still a bit surprised. I would
have thought that the folder would still show the items and it would be linked to the new location
in the same way the menu shows the items in both personal Profile and "All Users" profile. It's
silly that you can move the start folder but you can't see the content from "All Programs" menu.

Thanks again Ben. :)

T

Tim Meddick

You have multi-posted on this and "alt.windows-xp" (nntp.aioe.org) I have
answered your question as fully as possible on that forum / newsgroup.

I accept now, that you have XP

As for me stating that you had a Win7 or Vista OS - you quoted the path to
your new "Startup" folder as being :

":\Program Data\System\Startup"

the folder "Program Data" is used as a replacement name by Vista and Win7
for the folder "Program Files" in XP.

So what is your XP system doing with a "Program Data" folder, when that
name originates from Vista / Win7 OS?

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

Ask a Question