Speed restriction warning from BT

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Fair Usage Policy: your speed may be restricted
at peak times

Dear Customer,

We thought you'd like to know that your broadband usage in July has reached 80GB.

In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, and to protect the online experience of all our customers, if your monthly broadband usage goes over 100GB, we'll restrict your broadband speed at peak times (typically this is between 5pm and 12am, but these times may change depending on the demands on the network) to 1Mbps for 30 days.

Please note: your service won't be affected in any other way - we'll restrict only your speed, not the amount you can upload and download.

We'll email you again to let you know if your usage exceeds 100GB. For more information, including tips on how to manage your usage, please see our Fair Usage Policy. Or call 0800 707 6044, 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.

Best wishes,

BT Total Broadband team.

Plonkers. :rolleyes:

I'm on "option 3 unlimited", however, unlimited means I'm still capped. I can, upgrade to a package with a higher or unlimited usage allowance. :lol:

I have to admit to "downloading" from the BBC iPlayer, despite this supposedly not affecting your download limit, it seems that in fact it does. They, the BBC, have actually got a "player" that now works on my Vista ... better uninstall it and go back to streaming. ;)

May have to look for a real ISP ... if one exisits. :D

:user:

Reaction score
i would definately quiery it if i were you. i am also on option 3 Unlimited and got the same e-mail about a month ago. I called them up asking why, as i do nothing but the usual daily surfing. checking e-mails, Pcreview and Fartbook. I very rarely download anything. After been passsed about, I was told they had lifted the restriction. About a week later I recieved another e-mail from BT applogising. Their excuse was it was a computer error.

muckshifter

Reaction score
oh, I will be contacting them, about 30 seconds after 8am on Monday morning.

I may still be on the Internet afterwards. ;)

:D

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Fair Usage Policy: your speed may be restricted
at peak times

Dear Customer,

We thought you'd like to know that your broadband usage in July has reached 80GB.

In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, and to protect the online experience of all our customers, if your monthly broadband usage goes over 100GB, we'll restrict your broadband speed at peak times (typically this is between 5pm and 12am, but these times may change depending on the demands on the network) to 1Mbps for 30 days.

Hi Mucks,

Could you explain for me why your speed is restricted and not your download limit capped. It doesnt make sense to me except this is their way of punishing you(only at peak times which may change).
Also, why 30 days?

I would ask for the highest manager you can get and give it to him early on Monday morning LOL.

Best of luck.;)

Zzzzz

muckshifter

Reaction score
I don't know Zed, maybe they are just being pedantic about it all ... restricting my "speed" from 5pm till I go to bed is not much of a worry, I can be on all day, usually I am. :lol:

Been looking at O2, one of the few in my area, the pricing is a little on the dear side, I would be paying more than I am at the moment 'cos I ain't an existing O2 customer. :rolleyes:

Unlimited, Free ... just a couple of misleading phrases in this industry. ****es me off.

:wave:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Been looking at O2, one of the few in my area, the pricing is a little on the dear side, I would be paying more than I am at the moment 'cos I ain't an existing O2 customer. :rolleyes:

happywave.gif

In all honesty Mucks if your speed is been restricted by BT, I wouldn't even waste my time wit O2. They are worse than BT, and their fair usage policy a lot stronger then BT's

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/broadband#

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ouch!!

Nothing like a "real-life" annalist of the opposition. :D

I need to wait-and-see what they say tomorrow ... I will report back.

;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
80GB is quite easy to do without even realising it especially with a fast connection. I regularly hit over 100GB sometimes over 200GB in a month and amazingly Be never say a thing about me using too much bandwidth

Have you looked at Be? i know they are essentially O2 but they have different policies

muckshifter

Reaction score
wow, what a crappy looking ISP site ... :lol:

One simple enquiry, however, results in ...

You can get BE broadband on 01704******
It's probably going to be this fast:
19 megs*
This estimate is based on from data supplied by BT
:confused: Huh! data supplied by BT, 19megs, wow, if that's true, I'm on the wrong planet.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm on o2 (same as be broadband) and I've never found a problem with the usage limits, and I'm a pretty heavy user :) I'd give them the thumbs up from my experience :thumb:

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi MadX,

For some reason that link's not working anymore. I clicked it earlier and it was okay....Strange..:confused:

Zzzzz

The site is undergoing maintenance thats all, you should have seen a page explaining that.

Attachments

• maint.png
    maint.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 160
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
The site is undergoing maintenance thats all, you should have seen a page explaining that.

I did see it .....just the paranoid side of me thinking there was a cover up or summat LOL

Zzzzz

muckshifter

Reaction score
Just got off the phone, ain't they busy on a Monday morning. :D

The email is/was a "blanket" email, a reminder of their "fair usage" policy, and was basically given out to us/me high users like myself.

I, apparently, average 50-70GB a month, must have been the "free offers" from Microsoft that popped me up to 80 to be given the friendly warning. :rolleyes:

So, I'll stick with the devil I know, but thanks folks for the info on the other ISPs I could use.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
You got FREE offers from M$ :eek:
:confused: Yes!! quite a few programs are free, even operating system. :rolleyes:

Something is wrong with your keyboard, it keeps writing Microsoft in a funny way ... maybe you need to re-look at the English UK settings.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
:confused: Yes!! quite a few programs are free, even operating system. :rolleyes:

Something is wrong with your keyboard, it keeps writing Microsoft in a funny way ... maybe you need to re-look at the English UK settings.

happywave.gif

Maybe he does that cos microsoft always means money.....as in now you have to pay again LOL

Zzzzz

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ok, now I ain't a happy chappie ... BT lie. :mad:

Dear Customer,
We emailed you recently to remind you about our Fair Usage Policy. Our records show that your broadband usage in July is now above 100GB.

In accordance with our Fair Usage Policy, and to protect the online experience for all our customers, we'll now be restricting your broadband speed at peak times only (typically this is between 5pm and 12am, but these times may change depending on the demands on the network) to 1Mbps for a minimum of 30 days. We'll continue to restrict your speed and notify you by email as long as your monthly usage remains above 100GB.

Please note: your service isn't affected in any other way - we restrict only your speed, not your ability to upload and download.

For more information, please see our Fair Usage Policy. Or call 0800 707 6044, 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.

Best wishes,

BT Total Broadband team
:wall:

:rolleyes:

Ask a Question