Boost your broadband speed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We recently had a lightning strike very close to our house which knocked out lots of electrical equipment and the phone sockets. In the end, we had to replace the master socket with a new BT Openreach one (which has the same components in it as a "broadband accelerator kit").

Out broadband speed for the last 1.5 years has been around 8mbps, but now that we've had the new master socket the broadband speed has jumped to around 11mbps!

I'm fairly sure that someone posted (quite some time ago) about removing the bell wire on a master socket to boost the broadband speed, as I was using the master test socket in our old flat for quite some time. The broadband accelerator plate just filters the bell wire, without needing to make any modifications.

It looks like you can just fit one of these to do the same job without tinkering with the wires:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=8138

I should mention that Sky BB had to re-run the line management tool for my broadband speed to adapt - but this will happen automatically anyway after a few days. So if you get one of these, you may want to get in contact with your broadband provider to see if the tests can be re-run to identify your new speed.

Hope this helps :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
just another reason for TC to get her master 'upgraded' to the 22nd century. :)

oh, and I've had one of those 'sockets' for some time ... BT India kept sending engineers to fix a problem at my flat that never existed. Still, I got some nice free upgrades. Was amusing to tell BT India I didn't have any filter boxes plugged in. :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yes the dreaded ring wire.....

Pre filtered faceplates all the way here. Microfilters are sooooo 2010! :lol:

Reaction score
I think that's what we have already after openreach did the work for sky when we went fiber optic?
Speeds now are very fast & downloads are easy.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If you've had VDSL installed then yes they install pre filtered face plates.

Ask a Question