is there any way to check my recent bandwidth?

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Hi,

In the next week I will be moving house. And that means I will have to get a new broadband connection. I have been looking around and most of the plans i have been looking at have a bandwidth cap on them orthe unlimited nes have a cap in their fair usage policy.

So I was wondering if there was any way to find out how much bandwidth I have been using in the past few months, as we have three computers on a network and they are all connected to the itnernet and downloading things all the time.

My current isp is Bt.

Thanks in advance,
chelseafc2005

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If your isp dont have a page that tells you your usage you could try http://www.bwmonitor.com/

I have not used it myself, but have seen others that like it.:)

What isp are you thinking of?

Reaction score
V_R is with Enta, which is a good solid ISP since the expansion of capacity a few weeks ago.

I am now with Sky Broadband and have found it flawless and no horror stories to report.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
SixtyChris said:
V_R is with Enta, which is a good solid ISP since the expansion of capacity a few weeks ago.
Yep, and since they fired up the other central its been full speed all the way! (Well as fast as my line will allow...) Am still tempted by Sky LLU though....

Reaction score
Sky LLU is good, BT got their mucky hands on my line and managed to overrule Sky at one point, but has since been fixed and i'm enjoying 15MB.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Hi thanks for your replies. After looking at different offers i became interested by the be unlimited.

24meg
unlimited downloads

I believe that is available in my new area but i would have to double check.

I have also been looking at the isp you are on v-r a bit more expensive and speeds not as fast but I have read good things about them.

Also I have been looking into zen because a few members here like them and I know some people that are happy with them.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Put your postcode and/or phone# in to the availability checker here to see what you can get from your exchange - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php or here - http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php

Be Unlimited are an ADSL2+ network so they may not be available in your area yet. ADSL2+ is up to 24mb with them or 16MB with Sky who are also an ADSL2+ supplier. (LLU)

ADSL MAX (Normal up to 8mb broadband) is what i am on and what you probably get with BT. (Available just about everywhere now.)

I am with Vivaciti, they are resellers of Entanet, 20 quid a month, 30gb on peak 300gb off peak, no throttling or traffic shaping. ;)

Have you got a router?
If so, which one?
Could you post up your stats? (The ones i want to see are Noise margin and Attenuation.) This will give you an indication of what speeds you can expect. (You will have to live almost next to the exchange to get the full 24mb from Be. ;))

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
Hi thanks vr

I just popped the new post code into the box and most things are available including be and sky. It is not a cable supported area. I cant post a log witht the noise as im not currently in the new house but according to the map I am not very far from the exchange i would say about 1 mile at the most. so what do you think about be the price seems good and thespeeds sound good but has anybody had an experience with them before?

Thanks again,
chelseafc2005

edit: according to the broadband resource i am in a straight line about 320 metres from the exchange

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
Hi thanks vr

I just popped the new post code into the box and most things are available including be and sky. It is not a cable supported area. I cant post a log witht the noise as im not currently in the new house but according to the map I am not very far from the exchange i would say about 1 mile at the most. so what do you think about be the price seems good and thespeeds sound good but has anybody had an experience with them before?
edit: according to the broadband resource i am in a straight line about 320 metres from the exchange
Bas***d!!
laughingsmiley.gif

Yep you should be good for 20mb dl or there abouts, as long as your internal wiring is top notch. ;) (Take a look at this) :thumb:

Also, that straight line length should be roughly doubled to give you a rough 'true' line length. Chris Imrie may be able to tell you the exact true length as he has access to tools that we dont due to his work. (I think.):)

You should have a read of the Be Users forum. They do have the old blip in service from what i have read, so be warned, but on the whole they seem good. The only thing i can see that may be a problem later is the fact that lots of people are moving to Be, and i am wondering how long it will be before they start throttling to keep the service going.....Thats just a maybe but its definitely possible. The other this is if you wanted to move back to an IPStream service (Meaning back to ADSL Max like BT or Entanet.) IIRC its a £50 disconnection fee, and you basically have to cancel your BB and reorder it, meaning you could be without Internet for a few weeks......Oh and remember Be is a three month contract.

BE will supply you with the Speedtouch 718 or 780 Cant remember which, but they is both good, i use the ST 585v6 and its the dogs danglies! :D

HTH's. :)

Ask a Question