Since giving up smoking....

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Sounds good to me :)
Had some lobster once when I was a kid... Mmmmmmmmm :nod:
And remember, as far a the 'moral support goes'
You've got a lot of friends who love you :)
In real life & here
& we'll all be here whenever you need us.
loving you,
& rooting for ya all the way.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
You're really an amazing man Flops, and we are rooting for you here too. Hope you'll enjoy a great "lobster weekend" with your mates and that in a few months time, you'll be arranging another, only this time, to celebrate your return to good health after beating this.
nod.gif
Every good wish to you Flops.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Very pleased to hear the news flopp's, i know you can do this as you have a fantastic positive attitude...It's gonna be no walk in the park but you can do it mate......

Oh and when you have had all the treatment that you need and feeling a lot better...tell me where you want to eat and i will personally take you for a slap up Lobster meal at any restaurant you name...:nod: ...I'm not joking on that one Tony...So don't let me forget it ok....You can hold me to that if you wish....;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Twenty years playing at a very esoteric chinese martial/health art , six years teaching em , now on the scrap heap .
Too much fruit juice will be a bit too acidic for the system . You need carrotts and green veg aswell . Balance in diet as in everything in life . You got a microwave , get one of them veg staemers for it . only takes a couple of minutes to prepare veg for one and 4 to 5 mins in micro and you have loads of luverly veg to go with meal .
Make sure the nurses peel your grapes properly when your in the hospital . ;):D

Reaction score
Good food in Whitstable

Flopps when in Whitstable try Royal Native Oyster Stores Restaurant, it's a bit pricey but very good. Also the original Wheelers (Oyster Bar) in the High Street is good and they make some great fish cakes you can buy and take home to cook.

Pubs, so many to choose from but The Neptune on the beach has gone down hill a bit, but can be good if your after a fight!!

If you get time look at:
Good Food
Whitstable

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just sat reading your story Flopps, bit harsh but you'll be Ok.

Just as hind sight though, i'm on Chemo permanently at the moment, it's an Arthritis drug though, but it's low level Chemo that builds a defence against by White Blood cells over time.

Chemo does affect your taste and your appetite, as normally when i have my weekly injection i just dislike eating alltogether, but i then have a craving for sugar.

I also have blood tests every 6weeks, due to the dead white blood cells passing through my Kidneys, so pretty much same as your story.

Hope it all goes well for you anyway mate!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
cImrie said:
Just sat reading your story Flopps, bit harsh but you'll be Ok.

Just as hind sight though, i'm on Chemo permanently at the moment, it's an Arthritis drug though, but it's low level Chemo that builds a defence against by White Blood cells over time.

Chemo does affect your taste and your appetite, as normally when i have my weekly injection i just dislike eating alltogether, but i then have a craving for sugar.

I also have blood tests every 6weeks, due to the dead white blood cells passing through my Kidneys, so pretty much same as your story.

Hope it all goes well for you anyway mate!

Comforting to hear this, thank you.

But you're young aren't you?

That really, really, isn't fair :(

I wish you well, I really do.

The chemo I'll be receiving is, apparently, high doses of photon or proton beams or something, it destroys all tissue, including cancer cells and healthy cells, but healthy cells will grow back. Three days getting beamed at, 3 weeks to recover, so they tell me. All that at some time during 6 weeks of radiotherapy.

One advantage I suppose, if I can't taste anything, guess I'll try and shovel nothing but healthy stuff down :D

Reaction score
Yeah i'm only 18 coming on 19...

As i said, mine is a low dose of Chemo, so after the injection, i have one day of feeling utterly crap and then i'm normally fine again, but sometimes i can feel a bit rough for two or more days afterwards.

And regarding Healthy food, that is a bonus if you cant taste it, but normally Hospital Food isn't great anyway, sorry to let you down ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, for feedback, look after yourself.

They do tell me that for the six weeks of treatment and the four week recovery period, I'll be an outpatient. Seems the worst I'll suffer is feeling a bit crap but most of all the inability to swallow and a really sore throat. Mostly the painful throat.

So, hopefully, no hospital food. And yes, you're right, it really isn't very good is it?

Reaction score
Not the news I wanted to read. :(

I have spent the entire summer searching for a new home,so We can take in,Gran.

I maybe in Germany later this year to inspect,the assembly of a new robot,My company is purchasing.

If and when,I will certainly contact You and make a plan for a meeting.

Of all the people,I have crossed in cyberspace.You,Tony and Mucks (ok throw in Ian) are the only people I would be proud to meet and toss back a dozen pints or so,with!

Fear not,My friend.I have seen death.It is the ones we leave behind,that makes us worry and fear leaving this plane.

May the Earth Mother,hold You to Her bosom and let You suckle the powers and healing She commands.

Fear not My friend,but stride forth and fight the mighty fight.Take it head on and beat it into submission like a Cur trying to take Your Family.

All of My thoughts are with You,as well,is My love for You.

Kick it's ass Tony,be++++++++++++++++++++++++

James

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
Flopps when in Whitstable try Royal Native Oyster Stores Restaurant, it's a bit pricey but very good. Also the original Wheelers (Oyster Bar) in the High Street is good and they make some great fish cakes you can buy and take home to cook.

Pubs, so many to choose from but The Neptune on the beach has gone down hill a bit, but can be good if your after a fight!!

If you get time look at:
Good Food
Whitstable

The first restaurant you mentioned is where me mate booked us into.

The first pub we went to was the Neptune. Hey, we like to live dangerously :)

Besides, most folk run away from us, lol ;)

Here's summary of my day out:

So, as I mentioned before, yesterday three friends and myself ventured to Whitstable so I could sample a lobster lunch before I lose my taste buds.

WE arrived there about 12.15pm and had a pint in The Neptune pub on the beach. A little strange having a pint of Guinness for breakfast but quite fun.

Had lunch at a restaurant named 'Whitstable Oyster Fishery Co'. It would appear their website is down at the moment but here's the Wikipedia take on it:Restaurant

Three of us had chargrilled sardines for starters (inc me) and one had devilled shrimps. I'd never seen sardines like these before, they wuz big, about 7 or 8 inches long.

Just plain sardines, whole, heads, on with crisp skin and chargrill marks with lemon wedges, french bread and some superb french butter. I got three of 'em.

Well, I know this is kinda obvious, but they were fishy, lol, I enjoyed them.

Then my lobster meal came up. This was the first time I'd ever tasted one in my whole life. Half a lobster with a potato slaad and more bread and butter. And we were drinking chilled French White Sauvignon wine with it.

I tried the tail first, quite pungent, and as I thought it was a cross between crab and prawn. Then ate the claw and the bits inbetween, little metal fork probe thingie for getting all the bits out.

So, yeah, tasted lovely, gorgeous even, I got my hands quite messy eating it. My one overriding thought was 'That's a helluva lotta money for not much food' :D

Ain't I just a Philistine? ;) I think, for taste and for value for money, I prefer crab, but there ya go, each to his own. It's not often the starter fills me up more than the main course.

Four of us, no dessert, two bottles of wine, starters, main course, came to £120.00 inc service charge, which wasn't bad, really, especially compared to London prices.

Here's a few snaps I took, the beach hut belongs to one of me mates, he just got it, next summer, we gonna have a good time down there. Also, John, one of me mates pictured here, is moving there in December, he's renting out his Greenwich house and has bought a place in Whitstable.

We visited about four pubs, was good. Other people we know have also moved there recently, but they weren't in. The boat 'Greta' is an original London barge, they're very rare and very expensive now, it's probably over 100 years old, and now does pleasure cruises off the coast of Whitstable.

All three of me mates gave something up to take me out for the day, one of them didn't drink (much) cos he had to drive, so I was kinda thankful for this thing. Friends are good, aren't they?

Next post will have pix of a filmshoot going on last night outside the Cutty Sark pub in Greenwich but here's a few snaps of my day out in Whitstable (I think maybe I had the camera on wrong setting for these, not sure, but next camera will be Nikon SLR D50 at least I think):

The restaurant:

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

0007.jpg

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

0012.jpg

0013.jpg

0014.jpg

0015.jpg

0016.jpg

0017.jpg

0018.jpg

0019.jpg

0020.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is a filmshoot of something for America, either a TV series or a Hollywwod movie, not sure. It will be called 'The Golden Compass'

I have not a clue what it will be all about.

I couldn't use flash as filming was going on, had to lighten a couple up, but here we go:

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

0007.jpg

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

0013.jpg

0014.jpg

0015.jpg

0016.jpg

Reaction score
I'm really glad you had a great day out:D
Friends house over looks "The Neptune", but it's gone down hill a bit recently, do they still serve drinks in plastic throw-away beakers. It's to stop people nicking them, i think;)
Food is expensive where you went, but very good:thumb:
So which one in the photo in front of the beach hut is you???

PS: Nice photos too:thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed your day flopp's and your Lobster...Them Sardines don't look nothing like they do out of a tin do they...ha ha..Same as tuna really we used to seeing a little tin, but in reality they be anything up to 15 feet long and bloody wide....;)

Good piccies as well flopp's especially liked the one with Greta and her beautiful Blue livery...:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for replies fellas :)

None of the guys pictured are me, sorry. Check out Forum's pic gallery for some relatively recent pix of me.

This cancer thing is taking a mental toll I'm afraid, I seem to have aged and look like crap, so, sorry for no pix.

And CL, yep, real fish comes as something of a surprise, lol ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Almost forgot to mention, David Baddiel was in there at same time as us, he was with what I assume was his son, young lad aged about 3 or 4. He (David Snr) was dressed like he had a few bob, lol ;)

And some of the folks in there spoke real posh, not really my kind of peer, but, well, ya know, an experience :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That looks like great fun floppy :D I really want some lobster to see what I'm missing out on now, I'm not really a seafood man - I like most fish but lobsters/crab/etc... I've never tried properly.

I'm gonna pass you on to Becky cos she knows something about that film, and doesn't have her PC turned on:

Hi Tony,

Looks like a great day out! Sorry to see your mates are still smoking after seeing what it can do...

The film (I think) is the first in the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman - that part must be where the Gyptians make their exit from London. Good series of books, I'd recommend them!

Becky

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
sexy bex said:
Looks like a great day out! Sorry to see your mates are still smoking after seeing what it can do...

Tell me about it...

I've known him since '69, thinks he's indestructible.

I thought I was as well.

Out of the 4 of us, he's the only one that smokes.

The Phillip Pullman books thingie sounds about right. Bear in mind I only gleaned the info I did by speaking to one of the film guys and I was somewhat rather sozzled at the time :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time out. Tell you what though... best thing to have with Lobster is a big load of chips *yum* Lobster really needs to be eaten with something salty.
I remember when I was a kid my dad would sometimes pick up free lobster from his mates & he'd bring home a lobster & a ton of chips. pour melted butter all over the lobster &... yum :nod:
Probably not posh enough for the restaurant though :rolleyes:
Love the piccys, especially the Greta. Have to show her to John :nod: He'll love it.
sounds like you've got some good mates there :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just been looking at those pics Flops. Looks like a good time was had by all. :)

I would have like to have seen that filming in person, i always find that kinda thing interesting, so thanks for sharing them with us.

Look after yourself mate. :)

Ask a Question