Second hand PC games. CD keys that have already been used

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently bought a game off play.com via there play trade system (bit like ebay without the bidding). I bought a second hand copy of a certain game that requires a cd key through steam to activate it to then install it. Well because its second hand the key has obviously been used and steam wont let me install/play the game now.

So where do i stand in sending it back? surely a company cant sell you a game you cant play. I think its ridiculas that you can play second hand pc games, theres whole shops just dedicated to the second hand gaming market.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What was the game? I think if i remember right steam games are tied to your account.

I sold an old EA (non steam) game had to contact them and get it removed form my account.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If it was a company you purchased the game from it's probable they took the game in in part exchange so I'd say there's little chance of the original user removing the game from their account.

In fact once that game code number is bound to a Steam account whoever owns it doesn't need the disc to play the game and can even download the full game again should they so wish.

I can't flog my copy of Metro 2033 as it's tied to Steam and I doubt if anybody will believe me if I tell them I've requested Steam to remove it from my account.

This is one reason I rarely pay full price for a game when it's first released cos if I don't like it (as is the case with Metro2033) I'm lumbered with it.

Ask a Question