Router goes offline often so annoying help!

Reaction score
as u all know! i have a linksys router sharing a broadband connection. on this router there are 2 particular lights. one is called 'internet' the other is called 'dsl' when both of thse lights are green it means that im connected to the internet. the 'dsl' light will always be green, but the 'internet' light is normally green and flashing. but there comes a time when the 'internet' light becomes red. this means that i am not connected to the internet.

the problem?

i use the follwing on the net: irc (internet relay chat), msn, icq, yahoo and ftp download.

now most of these specially irc depends on ping pong commands at all time when connected. now what happens is my router will go offline for about 3-4 mins every couple of hours. i noticed that as soon as the red light comes on the 'internet light' on my router. i will get disconnected from all my services above. for instance on irc i will get

'software caused connection abort 10054'

on msn: i will sign back in
on a download: it will stop downloading.

i dont know whether its a problem with the router, my settings or my isp. it seems to happen on every manchine i have connected to the router.

does this happen to anyone else? what could u suggest please?
thanks
psd99

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be an ISP timeout problem, although with "always on" broadband this does seem strange. I get kicked off the internet if there is no internet activity at all for 2 hours.

It might be worth checking with your ISP, and reading for any issues with your router online. There may be a flash update for your router to correct certain problems (this may be one of the issues).

Reaction score
FreeUK started doing this to us

Have to keep restting the router and it works fine for a while...

Occasionally the internet slows to dial up speeds

Going to Plusnet 2Mb soon... Should be a tad faster...

Annoying though with the router thing

Reaction score
thanks guy going to give my isp a call! i just hope it aint a bad router if it is ill be devastated!

Reaction score
good idea to contact your ISP. usually its a problem on the server. have them also check your circuit. u having any problems on the voice service on the DSL line? that is a clue. anyway goodluck calling your ISP. haven't had any luck at all(they say 5 minute wait and eventually its way longer than that. and the anoyying advertiseminets.. :mad: )

Reaction score
still have the same problem its so annoying!
rite my firmware is not avaible for this router cant seem to loctate

just emalied
linksys (had to copy and paste my problem from here!!!!) good job u got that search feature on the left hand side!

will see their response (linksys) then next stop is my isp see what they say abt this. they once rang me at 9am in the morning and i coulndt be asked to talk to em so i told em its alrite ring back anohter time! gits aint rang me back yet!!!!

Reaction score
That does sound ISP related.

ADSL works via two parts. First is the physical attaching the high freq DSL to the local telephone exchanges DSLAM and the second is the virtual circuit to your ISP :)

What you are getting sounds like the second. ISP disconnection. If the linksys has a log, grab it and post it here. I can tell pretty easy if this is related to the physical or virtual. Id put money on virtual (seen this behaviour before).

Also, do you have a setting in your DSL connection for PPP timeout? It should be set for 0 seconds but I've seen netgear devices set with 10 minutes. Even downloading, it will still kick in (and it wasn't timing out! :rolleyes: )

Reaction score
2004-12-11 12:21:20 1352/TCP from 207.46.106.18:1863 to 84.9.77.20:1352 3-Invalid TCP packet received, dropping packet
2004-12-11 14:47:04 TCP from 222.99.140.108 to 84.9.77.20 Possible JOLT Attack
2004-12-11 15:19:38 TCP from 210.124.156.18 to 84.9.77.20 Possible JOLT Attack
2004-12-11 15:42:42 TCP from 222.99.140.108 to 84.9.77.20 Possible JOLT Attack
2004-12-11 18:02:04 2 from 84.9.92.73 to 224.0.0.22 Unsupported IP packet received, dropping packet
2004-12-11 20:06:39 3014/TCP from 67.19.188.20:80 to 192.168.1.100:3014 5-Invalid TCP packet received, dropping packet
2004-12-12 13:58:20 6623/TCP from 61.129.33.205:80 to 84.9.92.82:6623 3-Invalid TCP packet received, dropping packet

thats my log from the router

in a way im hoping its a isp problem because i dont so much reasearch for buying a router!

im looking for that PPP timeout rite now ill see what ive set it to and post back

from looking at my long do u notice anything?thanks

Reaction score
shorty ive had a quick butchers at the my router settings ive seen the following:

Client Lease Time: (1440) minutes (Range 1~10080)

MTU: Automatic Manual
Size: Default: 1500

Ping Target IP: . . .
Ping Size: Bytes
Number of Pings: (Range 1~100)
Ping Interval: Milliseconds
Ping Timeout: Milliseconds

umm can u see any setting from these that i could change? i know i put my log on the previous post but im not too sure if its the right log!!

if its a problem with my isp is that good? or would it be better it was my router?
anyhelp would be great. thanks

Reaction score
Yes it looks like the right log but that's a wierd set of IP addresses. If you dont' want to do that in public, PM me your WAN ip address.. so I can remove it from that log/list.

The other concern is the JOLT attack. Il do some research on what this is, could be nothing but..

Reaction score
thanks shorty

wana try and get this problem sorted be4 the new year arrives!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about the JOLT attack ... commonly associated with a DoS attack, unlikely in your case ... it's quite common and the Router is doing its job. However, use of a secondary Firewall is greatly encouraged.

Back to you Shorty. :thumb:

:cool:

Reaction score
well everyone im going to get hold of my friends adsl modem and see if that causes any problem if it does not that means it definetly my router that is casuing the problem in that case
im going to sell it and go for another company not been pleased with Linksys so far!

Reaction score
upgraded my firmware on the router and it appears to have taken the problem away!

bt im not holding my breath just yet!!:)

Reaction score
shorty - when i rang my isp they told me that according to them there is no problem with the line or nething

so i decided to use my mates adsl modem, it was strange although i didnt get that going offline for 2 mins every so often i ended up getting disconnected COMPLETLY after 12 hours or so. so that id have to reconnect was so annoying

so back with my router now seems good with this firmware upgrade

one question for someone. why wont this work on adsl:

pluggin my router in one phone socket
pluggin my adsl modem in another phone socket in the house

i coulndt seem to connect with both of these devices connected on different phone sockets on different computers!!!

Reaction score
As you can only make one data connection on a phone line,

You have a voice channel and a data channel, only one modem can occupy a data channel at one time, and the situation will not change if you have different computers either.

You would need seperate phone lines altogether to get two computers running seperate adsl connections.

HTH,

Chris,

Ask a Question