Remote Desktop problems again--works but not outside of my network

Reaction score
I posted earlier. I thought I solved my problem.

My setup:

laptop running XP Pro
desktop running XP Pro
Netgear router

I have a dynamic IP assigned so I have set up a host name with DYNDNS. I can TS successfully from the laptop to the desktop using the local IP address. I can now also TS successfully when using the host name from DYNDNS. When I am logged on my network, I use Port Query and I show both TDP and UDP 3389 ports are listening and it resolves the host name to the correct IP address.

But, when I log into another wireless network--suddenly if I do a Port Query on the host name, it can't resolve the name to the IP...or if I enter the IP (the latest assigned IP I have from my ISP), it might give me a 'filtered' response instead of 'listening' response that I get when logged on to my network. Also, the Remote Desktop doesn't work at all when I am logged on to another network (again, using the same hostname from DYNDNS as above--the one that worked).

Any ideas on what is going on? I set up the Netgear router to Port Forward the 3389 port. It seems the router doesn't like calls from outside the network? Or, could the other network have some kind of firewall on it that is preventing it from working?

By the way, I disable all of my firewall software when testing...just to be sure.

Thanks for any help!

Ask a Question