Firewall issues with Remote Desktop Web Connection?- not working from library

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, I finally got remote desktop web to work, so I can access my desktop from my laptop. Both machines are running XP Pro. I have a Netgear router that forwards port 3389 to the right machine. I use DYNDNS to assign a hostname to my dynamic IP. If I use Port Query to check port 3389 from home both TDP and UDP are "LISTENING". GREAT.

I had a friend test the remote desktop web settings from their house and they were able to get to the login screen ok. So, the hostname is resolving to the correct IP address etc. I changed nothing in the settings, but took my laptop to our library and I cannot connect. Remote Desktop web doesn't work. And, if I run Port Query from the library wifi connection, I get port 3389 TCP "FILTERED" and UDP "LISTENING OR FILTERED". If I run home, change nothing and do the same port query, both are listening.

SO--I am thinking the library must have a firewall or something. I thought the whole point of remote desktop web was to access from any internet connected computer, web cafe etc....does anyone know what to do about this? Or, what else might be the problem.

Thanks a lot for any ideas.....

Ask a Question