Remote Help needed!!

Reaction score
Hi,

I know there have been a lot of posts regarding this, but I can't seem to resolve my problem, no matter what I try.

I have a laptop WinXP Pro and a desktop WinXP Pro. Both are connect to a Netgear router WPN824. I can remote desktop from the laptop to the desktop on the LAN. I would like to be able to access my desktop from an internet cafe by using the laptop.

No matter what I try I still get the error: "The client could not connect to the remote computer. ...etc etc"

-I am assigned a dynamic IP from my ISP and I use DYNDNS to assign a host name to my IP
-At the cmd prompt I can execute nslookup host.dyndns.com and it returns the correct IP
-I can ping the other computer via LAN. I cannot ping the desktop by using the DYNDNS hostname.
-I have set up the router to Port Forward. I have only set up 1 Port Triggering for 3389 port. I don't know what else to do here....
-At Canuseeme.org I enter port numbers and 'check' and the screen simply refreshes. I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing on this site.
-I have disabled Norton Firewall and Windows Firewall on both machines.
-Remote Desktop feature is enabled in 'my computer' settings (and again I can remote desktop from the laptop to the desktop via LAN)
-I tried installing and trying TightVNC, but I couldn't get it to work
-I tried installing TeamViewer on both machines and cannot get it to work.
-I tried using a VPN, but that didn't work either.

I read somewhere that you may have difficulty testing the WAN if you are actually also logged on to the LAN.

Does anyone have any (!!) ideas of what I can do to fix this or what the problem might be? Or, how can I test to see what exactly isn't working.

Many thanks in advance!

P.S. I have installed Port Query from Microsoft. If I query Port 3389 on the host name from DYNDNS, I get 'FILTERED' for the TCP and 'LISTENING' for the UDP. What is the difference here......I don't know what to do.....

Another update: I can use Port Query for the hostname and port 1723. Both TCP and UDP are "LISTENING". So....does that mean I should be able to connect using Remote Desktop through port 1723 (I have tried this and get the error 'The remote connection timed out. etc "--at least a different error? Or why is TCP "FILTERED" for port 3389, which I believe is the port Remote Desktop uses.....

Anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong?????

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have solved my problem--it was with the router. I had to go in again and set up a custom Port Forwarding for port 3389. Then, in Port Query I could see both TCP and UDP were now listening. Port Query is a great tool.

Cheers!

Ask a Question