Remote Assistance Failed Please Try Again

Buford T. Justice

I looked up this problem on Google Groups but could not find a resolution.

I am a computer technician by trade and use to use Windows XP Pro's Remote
Assistance quite a bit to help my customers with problems. For the last few
months, I keep getting this error message after I receive a Remote
Assistance Invitation through e-mail and click on Yes to connect to the
customer's computer...

Remote Assistance -- Web Page Dialog
Remote Assistance failed. Please try again.

Now I have opened the invitation with Notepad and corrected the IP address
which some do have the wrong IP address due to the customer's router. That
doesn't work either.

My suspicion is that a Windows Update file has corrupted my Remote
Assistance. I have no idea which one since there are like 30+ updates
installed on my computer. Removing them may cause problems.

Might anyone know what update messes up Remote Assistance? I tried
reinstalling SP2 but that didn't fix the problem. I would hate to try to do
a maintenance install just to have the same problem again after getting an
update.

Thanks In Advance,
BTJustice

Buford T. Justice

I didn’t type this post. One of your users is abusing his newsgroup access
privileges. Below is the full message header and fake message...

From: "Buford T. Justice" <[email protected]>

Newsgroups:
alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

Subject: Re: Remote Assistance Failed Please Try Again

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:30:30 +0545

Buford T. Justice, <[email protected]>, the torturous, distant rodent,

Buford T. Justice

Most of the other posts in this thread I didn't type though my name is on
them just proves to me that any idiot can make an ass out of himself on a
public, unmoderated newsgroup. I hope the e-mail I sent to the newsgroup
abuse e-mail address in his message headers gets this guy turned off.

BTJustice

Buford T. Justice

the cheerless said:
today will mark the 2 month anniversery of my LAST relapse. The only
problem is I think about drinking constsntly! Whether I'm thinking of
how proud of myself I am, how much I want a shot, or all the bad things
I did... I'm thinking about alcohol! so what do I do? I have PLENTY of
time tho think about... well u know.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

I would start with sfc /scannow if you suspect file corruption. As far as I
know, no recent update specifically targets anything in remote assistance,
though it's possible one of them replaced a system file that is used by it.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Buford T. Justice

So you prefer your computer technician to know everything (which is
impossible)? If a computer technician didn't research a little, that
computer technician may make a big mistake which could lose all the files on
the customer's computer he is working on. That's bad for business. Heck,
there are different kinds of computer technicians and there are different
kind of doctors and lawyers.

BTJustice

Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Sour Grapes Anyone?

It appears some are jealous you are employed. Are you familiar with the term "sour grapes". Expecting a computer technician to know all and ask nothing is misguided and ignorant.

I have encountered the same problem: The user can send a remote assistance invitation to me which I can accept but he cannot accept a remote assistance invitation from anyone. He receives a message stating "remote assistance failed. Please try again". Windows Firewall is disabled. Remote Assistance is enabled. We are both using SP2, the same OPS on the same domain. The Microsoft Knowledge Base is useless in troubleshooting this issue.

The same problem occurred on a 2nd computer which I re-imaged. Remote Assistance is working fine. Perhaps a corrupted file is causing the problem.

Eli