quoting other people

Too much quoting going on???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
If someone posts some code or something in their thread, is it really necessary to quote the previous message in your reply, or even the last two responses in your reply? I have seen some threads that are ridiculous in length, all due to the quoting of other peoples' responses...when I respond to a thread, I do not quote by default, but maybe I turned that feature off in the CP. Does anyone else agree on this? Sifting through the redundant material gets a bit annoying...
Just some thought, not food for thought, ACTUAL thoughts, and more like gripes... =)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I know what you mean, but this mainly this mainly happens with the newsgroup posts as thats the way people do it for some reason. On the main forums (https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums) people are quite sensible about it :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That, and people who post three or four posts in a row quoting/answering others anoys me.

Whats wrong with one post with a reply to each person? :confused:

Reaction score
ajetrumpet said:
If someone posts some code or something in their thread, is it really necessary to quote the previous message in your reply, or even the last two responses in your reply? I have seen some threads that are ridiculous in length, all due to the quoting of other peoples' responses...when I respond to a thread, I do not quote by default, but maybe I turned that feature off in the CP. Does anyone else agree on this? Sifting through the redundant material gets a bit annoying...
Just some thought, not food for thought, ACTUAL thoughts, and more like gripes... =)

On the upside you can get the jist of whats going on without reading the whole thread. Very useful if your at work reading through several solutions to a problem that needs solving pronto!

Ian Cunningham said:
I know what you mean, but this mainly this mainly happens with the newsgroup posts as thats the way people do it for some reason. On the main forums (https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums) people are quite sensible about it :D

This forums got it right, thats why it does so well!

V_R said:
That, and people who post three or four posts in a row quoting/answering others anoys me.

Whats wrong with one post with a reply to each person? :confused:

Again, on the upside, it saves space and trees (if someone were to print it!)

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Techy said:
On the upside you can get the jist of whats going on without reading the whole thread. Very useful if your at work reading through several solutions to a problem that needs solving pronto!
Thats actually quite a good point, i often do that!

Thinking about it quoting is good when your answering a small part of a large thread or post as it can save confusion, which is sometimes quite easy on a forum.

Not if someone replies to three earlier posts with three more posts it dont!

Damn i've run out of quotes to quote!
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I know what you mean, but this mainly this mainly happens with the newsgroup posts as thats the way people do it for some reason. On the main forums (https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums) people are quite sensible about it
biggrin.gif

V_R said:

Whats wrong with one post with a reply to each person?
confused.gif

Techy said:

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

V_R said:

Thinking about it quoting is good when your answering a small part of a large thread or post as it can save confusion, which is sometimes quite easy on a forum.

Damn i've run out of quotes to quote! :lol:

Some very good points raised there...
nod.gif

How contrived was that?? :D:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When British folk gather at the bus stop and the bus is late, they will inevitably start to talk to each other.

The conversation will not be of the normal things folks converse about like if they're at the pub - ya know - family, work, politics, news, personal interests, mostly positive, mostly smiling.

Nope, what they'll do is moan and moan a lot. They will be cynical, bemoan the state of the country, take despair at the state of the world and most of all complain about the weather.

Which, to me, is all a bit sad really.

Why do people do that? If people start that one on me - and age really doesn't seem to make a difference - I will politely point out to them that they're upright, they can walk, they can see, they can taste, they can smell, they are clothed, fed and should be happy.

This generally doesn't seem to go down too well and I'm looked at as if I'm mad:confused:

hey, look, life's too short - constantly celebrate all the gifts you have that you take for granted.

Yeah, I know, I may have been influenced by the sh1t I've been through in the last coupla years but damnit, it's true.

Anyways, point I'm making is - stop whingeing, stop whining, stop getting petty, just enjoy the forum and accept what you may perceive as other people's flaws, they're not flaws, they mean well, we're all different, embrace our community members here because the greater majority are good folks who will help you, regardless of how much they quote.

Ok? Make sense? Good :) Now shut up :p

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Cunningham
I know what you mean, but this mainly this mainly happens with the newsgroup posts as thats the way people do it for some reason. On the main forums (https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums) people are quite sensible about it
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_R

confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_R

laughingsmiley.gif

nod.gif

How contrived was that?? :D:D

There PotGuy, that's for you....now you get the picture. Oh, by the way, if anyone here is thinking of saving trees, I wouldn't worry about that, or the companies that make any kind of paper documents....as electronics minimize the need for paper products, the paper companies get smaller in size. It'll be pretty much a parellel phenomenon.

Does anyone know why I only get e-mails for my threads once in a while? I was lucky to check this and see all of your wonderful responses!

Reaction score
Anyways, point I'm making is - stop whingeing, stop whining, stop getting petty, just enjoy the forum and accept what you may perceive as other people's flaws, they're not flaws, they mean well, we're all different, embrace our community members here because the greater majority are good foks who will help you, regardless of how much they quote.

Complaining is part of the fun of the forum Floppy. I can't imagine what you would write if I was really serious about this. Say I conveyed a serious attitude such as if I was running a multi-million dollar company. What kind of response would I get from you then? I can only imagine...

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
ajetrumpet said:
Complaining is part of the fun of the forum Floppy. I can't imagine what you would write if I was really serious about this. Say I conveyed a serious attitude such as if I was running a multi-million dollar company. What kind of response would I get from you then? I can only imagine...
You would probably get a similar response :D - always remember often what is said on here is very tongue-in-cheek ;)

....especially after Flops has returned from the Cutty Sark :lol:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
When British folk gather at the bus stop and the bus is late, they will inevitably start to talk to each other.

The conversation will not be of the normal things folks converse about like if they're at the pub - ya know - family, work, politics, news, personal interests, mostly positive, mostly smiling.

Nope, what they'll do is moan and moan a lot. They will be cynical, bemoan the state of the country, take despair at the state of the world and most of all complain about the weather.

Which, to me, is all a bit sad really.

Why do people do that? If people start that one on me - and age really doesn't seem to make a difference - I will politely point out to them that they're upright, they can walk, they can see, they can taste, they can smell, they are clothed, fed and should be happy.

This generally doesn't seem to go down too well and I'm looked at as if I'm mad:confused:

hey, look, life's too short - constantly celebrate all the gifts you have that you take for granted.

Yeah, I know, I may have been influenced by the sh1t I've been through in the last coupla years but damnit, it's true.

Anyways, point I'm making is - stop whingeing, stop whining, stop getting petty, just enjoy the forum and accept what you may perceive as other people's flaws, they're not flaws, they mean well, we're all different, embrace our community members here because the greater majority are good folks who will help you, regardless of how much they quote.

Ok? Make sense? Good :) Now shut up :p

I reckon the reason people whine at bus stops is simply because it is a universal topic.

The majority of people in this country are quite happy to moan about the weather, the buses, the nhs etc because it is a safe topic. It fills up an awkward silence and is pretty uncontroversial.

If you turned around to a stranger and started talking about the Conservative Party's stance on the retired lollypop ladies in urban areas, nobody would care, and some people would probably take offense and you'd end up in a heated argument and probably with a broken nose.

British people like moaning because it means they can have a polite conversation with anyone, and not have to sit through silence.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
British people like moaning because it means they can have a polite conversation with anyone, and not have to sit through silence.

happywave.gif

And that, really, is what's so sad :(

Ya know, just about everybody has an interesting story or six to tell.

I guess I'm kinda old now but people older than me, those in their seventies and eighties, what stories they can tell. That lil old granny sitting there with a gleam in her eye probably has more ribald memories to recall than most would imagine ;)

I mean, that side of things weren't no different back then.....

Course, that don't apply to everybody, gotta be some boring gits about who've done nothing, but I've found that if you take the time to talk to people, they will have some interesting experiences to tell you about.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Course, that don't apply to everybody, gotta be some boring gits about who've done nothing

Hey flopp's you not talking about me again are ya....:D :lol:

Reaction score
ajetrumpet said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Cunningham
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_R

confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_R

laughingsmiley.gif

nod.gif

How contrived was that??

There PotGuy, that's for you....now you get the picture. Oh, by the way, if anyone here is thinking of saving trees, I wouldn't worry about that, or the companies that make any kind of paper documents....as electronics minimize the need for paper products, the paper companies get smaller in size. It'll be pretty much a parellel phenomenon.

Does anyone know why I only get e-mails for my threads once in a while? I was lucky to check this and see all of your wonderful responses!

come again?

:p

Ask a Question